It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 17:29

Text Size

The Ultimate Quest Mode Thread

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: The Ultimate Quest Mode Thread

Postby timmermac » 18 Apr 2014, 19:36

I am now 9-23 with my quest. 5-21 with my original landwalker and favorite creatures deck, and now 4-2 with a red goblin/dragon/burn deck. I will be very happy when some Magic 2012 fatpacks and Fallen Empires boosters show up in the shop, so I can add to my 2x Goblin Grenade that I got out of an earlier M12 fatpack. As soon as I get some copies of Elvish Champion, I'm going to put together an elf deck.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby timmermac » 21 Apr 2014, 19:53

17-25 now with newest snapshot build. I've opened boxes of 5th Edition and Weatherlight so far. 12-4 with red deck.

Edit: After being swept by King Goldemar, I go to the card shop. Aaaaaaand the booster box is.... Fallen Empires. <breaks into happy dance> multiple copies of Goblin Grenade, ftw!
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby KrazyTheFox » 22 Apr 2014, 06:21

Since I haven't played fantasy mode yet, I figured I'd give it a shot. Turns out, it's a lot harder to hold onto cards with antes enabled than I had anticipated. Lost my Grave Titan on the second match. On the plus side, I got lucky with several creatures with infect and a Lighthouse Chronologist. Bit of a challenge against faster AI decks, but I've managed to pull of 12-3 so far. That 5 health difference really hurts.
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby Fizanko » 22 Apr 2014, 07:13

Due to how hard and frustrating it can be to lose a very rare card that is important to your deck build to an ante, i only play with antes enabled -after- i get the bazaar item that allow the spellshop to get your lost card in its stock after the match in which you lost the card.

Can be very expensive depending on the card you lost, but at least much less frustrating as you still get a chance to buy it back
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby mastroego » 23 Apr 2014, 20:51

I'm having some fun with a deck made to (ab)use Joraga Warcaller 's ability.
Ring of Kalonia, Bramblewood Paragon, Blessings of Nature and similar cards go well with it naturally - I even put in a couple of Fungal Behemoth s.
Anyway, I was able to trigger the ultimate of Nissa Revane ... being careful to summon all Paragons before every Joraga...
add some multiple activations of Ezuri, Renegade Leader (thanks to one single Archdruid, I didn't feel like exaggerating...)..and well, single trampling strike for a clean -775 to the opponent :shock: :mrgreen:

Must be my all time record damage-wise. I should really think about starting a new quest, soon...
Attachments
775.jpg
mastroego

Postby lazylockie » 23 Apr 2014, 22:47

mastroego wrote:Must be my all time record damage-wise. I should really think about starting a new quest, soon...
Yeah, it comes to a point where you trample every deck (even Very Hard) because your pool is so good that the quest mode starts to become pointless.

On the other hand, it's annoying to "lose" all your cards by starting a new quest. Maybe if Forge had some sort of fuse/import quest...
lazylockie

Postby mastroego » 24 Apr 2014, 07:11

In truth that's not entirely my case. I'm not an experienced player and I know decently only the cards from a few sets, so I can't exploit a large pool of cards like an expert player would... Indeed starting more quests from scratch would help me familiarize with the many, diverse Magic sets.
That's the theory, in practice I'm too fond of the 40+ decks I've already built and keep playing with those :roll:
mastroego

Postby Fizanko » 24 Apr 2014, 22:41

A workaround to avoid losing decks you enjoyed in a quest is to go into that quest deck editor and click on the "Save Deck As" button on the top
Then browse to the Constructed folder and save that deck there.

It will then become available for Constructed duels (if you set the deck source to "Custom User Deck" instead of the default "Preconstructed Decks") for both you or the AI you want to duel.

That's a great way to pit your multiple own quest decks against each other.

And as you can select any of the Quest AI decks for you or the AI, you can then battle them with your favorite decks even if you started a new quest
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby Xyx » 25 Apr 2014, 09:37

You can also save a quest deck and then load it from another quest. The cards won't be added to your card pool and if you remove any cards from it they'll be gone forever, but you can still keep modifying the deck. Major exploit, of course. Use wisely.
Xyx
Tester

Postby timmermac » 26 Apr 2014, 16:12

Starting my quest over. This time, it's all Slivers, all the time. I'm starting with Tempest block, Time Spiral block, Legions, Scourge, Premium Deck Series: Slivers and Magic 2014. My quest preferences are in the code section.

Code: Select all
BOOSTER_COMMONS=11
BOOSTER_UNCOMMONS=3
BOOSTER_RARES=1
BOOSTER_FORMAT=Legacy (format)
PENALTY_LOSS=15000000
CURRENT_QUEST=Slivers.dat
CURRENT_DECK=Slivers
REWARDS_BASE=25000
REWARDS_UNDEFEATED=2500000
REWARDS_WINS_MULTIPLIER=0.3
REWARDS_POISON=50000
REWARDS_MILLED=400000
REWARDS_ALTERNATIVE=1000000
REWARDS_MULLIGAN0=5000000
REWARDS_TURN15=5000
REWARDS_TURN10=50000
REWARDS_TURN5=250000
REWARDS_TURN1=1500000
STARTING_BASIC_LANDS=20
STARTING_SNOW_LANDS=5
STARTING_POOL_COLOR_BIAS=6
STARTING_COMMONS_EASY=80
STARTING_COMMONS_MEDIUM=80
STARTING_COMMONS_HARD=80
STARTING_COMMONS_EXPERT=80
STARTING_UNCOMMONS_EASY=80
STARTING_UNCOMMONS_MEDIUM=80
STARTING_UNCOMMONS_HARD=80
STARTING_UNCOMMONS_EXPERT=80
STARTING_RARES_EASY=80
STARTING_RARES_MEDIUM=80
STARTING_RARES_HARD=80
STARTING_RARES_EXPERT=80
STARTING_CREDITS_EASY=999999999
STARTING_CREDITS_MEDIUM=999999999
STARTING_CREDITS_HARD=999999999
STARTING_CREDITS_EXPERT=999999999
WINS_BOOSTER_EASY=1
WINS_BOOSTER_MEDIUM=1
WINS_BOOSTER_HARD=1
WINS_BOOSTER_EXPERT=1
WINS_RANKUP_EASY=6
WINS_RANKUP_MEDIUM=6
WINS_RANKUP_HARD=6
WINS_RANKUP_EXPERT=6
WINS_MEDIUMAI_EASY=18
WINS_MEDIUMAI_MEDIUM=18
WINS_MEDIUMAI_HARD=18
WINS_MEDIUMAI_EXPERT=18
WINS_HARDAI_EASY=30
WINS_HARDAI_MEDIUM=30
WINS_HARDAI_HARD=30
WINS_HARDAI_EXPERT=30
WINS_EXPERTAI_EASY=48
WINS_EXPERTAI_MEDIUM=48
WINS_EXPERTAI_HARD=48
WINS_EXPERTAI_EXPERT=48
WINS_UNLOCK_SET=20
SHOP_MAX_PACKS=1000
SHOP_SINGLES_COMMON=25
SHOP_SINGLES_UNCOMMON=25
SHOP_SINGLES_RARE=25
SHOP_WINS_FOR_ADDITIONAL_PACK=5
SHOP_STARTING_PACKS=1
timmermac
Tester

Postby Fizanko » 27 Apr 2014, 01:02

Aren't those settings possibly causing problems or is it ok to get beyond the ingame quest preferences limitations if you edit the file manually ?

I mean, the base winning by example is limited to max 100 , trying to make it higher will not succeed ingame, it will just be set to 100.

Is having the actual file base winning way beyond 100 not conflicting in the code with the actual 100 limit ?
Fizanko
Tester

Postby KrazyTheFox » 27 Apr 2014, 01:34

Fizanko wrote:Aren't those settings possibly causing problems or is it ok to get beyond the ingame quest preferences limitations if you edit the file manually ?

I mean, the base winning by example is limited to max 100 , trying to make it higher will not succeed ingame, it will just be set to 100.

Is having the actual file base winning way beyond 100 not conflicting in the code with the actual 100 limit ?
Nothing bad happens. The game artificially limits what you can put in to keep some semblance of balance, but anything you edit outside the game would work just fine (to an extent—3 billion credits would crash it).
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby friarsol » 27 Apr 2014, 02:29

I just started a new quest to try to check out some of the JOU cards (if they popped up) so far I'm 8-0 with the following deck list:

Usually I don't ramp this high, but with Omniscience and an Eldrazi I was curious if I could swarm the skies enough in the first 5 turns to handle it. I've been able to cast Omniscience 3 times so far which puts a quick end to most matches. Ante is on, all the rest of the preferences are default. The only cards I've lost due to ante is a second Ponder and some other midrange flyer.

The only thing I've bought form the Bazaar is a level 1 Plant Wall and a level 2 Bird Pet. I'm currently testing a limitation to pets where you can't buy the next level of Pet unless you are that level/rank. So when you first start, you can only buy the first stage of the Pet. This means you can't buy the fourth stage of the pet until you've leveled up three times. So far I'm liking this restriction as it adds more meaning to actually leveling up, and takes away some of the cheese of buying a level 4 Pet very early in a new quest. I think I'll commit this at some point in the future, maybe with some additional things that care about leveling up.

WUB | Open
[metadata]
Name=WUB
[Main]
1 Air Servant|M14
1 Altar of Shadows|MRD
1 Avatar of Will|PCY
1 Azure Drake|M11
1 Clone|10E
1 Dimir Guildmage|RAV
1 Dreamstone Hedron|COM
1 Duress|USG
1 Enigma Sphinx|PC2
1 Forbidding Watchtower|ULG
1 Guul Draz Specter|ZEN
2 Island|ODY|1
3 Island|ODY|2
3 Island|ODY|4
1 Journey to Nowhere|ZEN
1 Keiga, the Tide Star|MMA
1 Man-o'-War|VIS
1 Nekrataal|9ED
1 Omniscience|M13
1 Orzhov Keyrune|GTC
2 Plains|ODY|3
1 Plains|ODY|4
1 Ponder|M10
1 Spire Golem|DST
2 Swamp|ODY|2
2 Swamp|ODY|4
1 Tendo Ice Bridge|BOK
1 Tidehollow Strix|C13
1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre|ROE
1 Vampire Nighthawk|DDK
1 Violet Pall|MOR
[Sideboard]
1 Cackling Witch|MMQ
1 Demystify|ROE
1 Douse|USG
1 Goldenglow Moth|SHM
1 Gravedigger|M12
1 Kirtar's Wrath|ODY
1 Lab Rats|STH
1 Nekrataal|8ED
1 Oona, Queen of the Fae|FVL
1 Peace and Quiet|ULG
1 Perish|TMP
1 Propaganda|COM
1 Skinrender|SOM
1 Stormscape Battlemage|C13
1 Xenic Poltergeist|5ED
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Fizanko » 27 Apr 2014, 03:29

That Omniscience card looks really powerful , though it cost a lot to cast it, but once it's there it looks like it's really worth it.

On one of my current deck i got early Elvish Piper that have potential for awesome too in case you manage to get some super expensive card in hand, for a much more reasonnable cost ( 4 mana to play Elvish Piper and 1 mana to get a creature from hand .. for free, i so want to find Emrakul, the Aeons Torn in that quest :D )

KrazyTheFox wrote:Nothing bad happens. The game artificially limits what you can put in to keep some semblance of balance, but anything you edit outside the game would work just fine (to an extent—3 billion credits would crash it).
Thanks, it's good to know, i was worrying if i would edit a bit some of the settings only to get more error messages popping up than usual.
Fizanko
Tester

Postby timmermac » 28 Apr 2014, 20:19

So the new quest is working well so far. I forgot to add Ravnica and Zendikar to the beginning sets, since there is a combo that I love that needs those sets. I added them in am off and running with a 6-4 record. Note to self: Self! Do not cast Traumatize against the Revenge of Arzakon decks. Forge doesn't like putting 5000+ cards in the graveyard at one time.
timmermac
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Forge