It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:45

Text Size

The Ultimate Quest Mode Thread

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: The Ultimate Quest Mode Thread

Postby mastroego » 05 Apr 2014, 11:52

Well too many epic wins (and losses!) to remember.
I'm 2065 matches in, with 1540 wins. Some of the decks I use are getting good indeed, at last.
I just updated my win streak record which is now 20 wins in a row... that included surviving the Repressed Magic challenge (and another one).

As for great pops, yesterday I got a foil Elspeth, Knight-Errant as a win prize.
Only foil I'm keeping as I love this card (all the rest get sold).

I apply self-restrictions similar to Xyx's, if a bit more loose.
Default prices, but max 2 of any of the power nines.
Max 20 life, no pets, no free mulligans and such.
I do abuse a little bit of traveling... I mean I only do it now when I hunt for more Fatpacks to complete a set.
It's really not relevant at this point and it allows me to collect stuff, but I'll certainly use it less when I'll finally start a new quest.
I started from M11 and it seems I'll be able to unlock Theros after all.

I do agree about Ned Flanders being a nasty, unsufferable opponent. I did beat him once surviving an Annihilator 2 attack, but the sanctimonious prick usually beats me to a pulp with his armies from the dark realms. :mrgreen:
mastroego

Postby Fizanko » 05 Apr 2014, 12:46

Mentionning annihilators, i restarted a quest (as i purged all my files, cards and saves then reinstalled from scratch to get around a bug) , and i got this card at some point :

Too bad it didn't fit my current red deck as i don't have "throw into my graveyard" and "take from graveyard and put on the battlefield" cards with it (and gathering 15 mana is taking often enough time to the match to be already finished).

But as i plan to get into the black color once i'll get some better card for it, Emrakul, the Aeons Torn could definitively be interesting in it.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby mastroego » 05 Apr 2014, 23:32

To even begin to hope of hard-casting Emrakul, the Aeons Torn you'll need Eye of Ugin, Eldrazi Temple and some cards that can produce Eldrazi spawn. A mere ramp deck won't cut it 99% of the times, of course.

Reanimator techs won't work as Emrakul reshuffles into the library from the graveyard ;)
Maybe something like Summoning Trap might do the trick (you'd lose the extra turn, but still)...
Last edited by mastroego on 05 Apr 2014, 23:36, edited 1 time in total.
mastroego

Postby Fizanko » 05 Apr 2014, 23:35

Yes, that's part of my plan, getting it along card that will throw it from library/hand into the graveyard and any simple graveyard raising card to get it on the battlefield.

Something like what happened in the 2nd turn of the AI from KrazyTheFox report.

But for now i don't have enough of those cards to make that process having a good chance to actually work without being extremely lucky in the card orders on the library.

edit : Hmm, your idea of Summoning Trap sounds very nice, i'll have to look into the alternatives to my throw to graveyard -> raise to battlefield plan
Last edited by Fizanko on 05 Apr 2014, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby mastroego » 05 Apr 2014, 23:37

Sorry, I was wrong, see my edited post.
No reanimators with Emrakul ;)
mastroego

Postby lazylockie » 06 Apr 2014, 05:50

I like to play quest mode starting with a cohesive pool and as win prizes I choose all sets. that way my initial pool allows me to make a deck that has some sort of synergy while all sets gives me freedom to increase my pool.

some cohesive starting pools:
- mirrodin block + scars block
- ravnica block + RTR block
- theros block + shadowmoor/eventide
- invasion block + alara block

I like 7-6-5 mulligan more than 7-7-5.

creating an aggro deck on an early quest is actually quite difficult, because your creature/spells aren't aggressive enough. that's why I like to start with control decks, since AI doesn't handle card advantage very well: a Divination might work as good as an Sphinx's Revelation.
lazylockie

Postby mastroego » 06 Apr 2014, 22:00

Not a super combo or anything, but one of those moments that make the game fulfilling.
I made this deck for fun, an "armies of light" deck where "special cards" (Legends, Angels or Planeswalkers) only appear as singletons (it is doing surprisingly well, incidentally).
I found a spot for this Angel as it fits the concept, but it doesn't get cast very often obviously (being a singleton and a costly one, at that).

Glory Rise.jpg

I was actually taken by surprise when she swept the board clean of enemies... I didn't notice that they were zombies!
mastroego

Postby Fizanko » 08 Apr 2014, 18:46

After starting with a red-only focus to build my deck, i switched to white, not only because i'm not used to it and so would like to try something new but because so far i got only 2 planewalker card, both the same, Elspeth, Sun's Champion

And her first ability sounded so good i decided to try to build a deck with it (and put the 2 same card, to give more chance in picking it during a battle).

As i had plenty of pacifism card, i decided to go this way, along with some +live cards (hoping it would help if i could play Angelic Accord )

So far this deck has served me really well, giving me a lot of good win streaks (i managed to beat my previous quest record, i reached 30 win streaks) and defeated some challenges that destroyed me in other quest.

My favorite challenge situation with it was the sea monster one, in which the AI has a deck that play several strong sea monsters that get regularly more +1/+1 and in a dozen of turns you end in facing a lot of +10/10 creatures .

Pacifism , Azorius Arrester and Azorius Justiciar proved to be amazing to defeat that challenge

Here's the current deck composition :

white05 | Open
1 Ajani's Pridemate|M11
1 Angelic Accord|M14
2 Azorius Arrester|RTR
1 Azorius Justiciar|RTR
1 Brimaz, King of Oreskos|BNG
1 Chastise|JUD
1 Crusade|LEB
3 Daring Skyjek|GTC
2 Dawnstrike Paladin|M14
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion|THS
1 Imposing Sovereign|M14
1 Keening Apparition|RTR
2 Lagonna-Band Elder|THS
1 Lifelink|M12
1 Martial Law|RTR
2 Oreskos Sun Guide|BNG
1 Pacifism|8ED
2 Pacifism|M12
3 Pacifism|M14
1 Path of Bravery|M14
4 Plains|7ED|1
4 Plains|7ED|2
8 Plains|7ED|3
3 Plains|7ED|4
1 Revoke Existence|BNG
1 Riot Control|DGM
1 Sacred Nectar|9ED
5 Snow-Covered Plains|ICE
1 Soul Warden|10E
1 Trained Caracal|RTR
1 Windborn Muse|COM
Fizanko
Tester

Postby KrazyTheFox » 09 Apr 2014, 01:38

Completely forgot I had two doubling seasons on the field, seeing as I'm trying to win with counters and not tokens. I thought I'd just get a few blockers... I might have a new favorite card.

Untitled-1.jpg
KrazyTheFox
Programmer

Postby Fizanko » 09 Apr 2014, 02:33

Wow, that is an awesome combo there !
Fizanko
Tester

Postby cacaceantonio » 09 Apr 2014, 13:44

I found myself with a sliver deck stuck against Samwise Gamgee with Worship on the field and no disenchant.
I had to win when he finished the deck.
Damn Worship.
Attachments
MALEDETTO_WORSHIP.png
cacaceantonio

Postby timmermac » 10 Apr 2014, 12:32

@KrazyTheFox and Fizanko: Now, think of some Beastmaster Ascension added to that, and you have my favorite combo. <insert evil laughter here.>
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby Fizanko » 11 Apr 2014, 07:24

I guess adding on top of it a Nylea, God of the Hunt for the "trample to everyone" should make sure the other player will refuse to play again with you :D
Fizanko
Tester

Postby timmermac » 11 Apr 2014, 20:32

I am currently 7-1 with a 5-color landwalk and favorite creature types deck. I'm using a custom card that I made to rectify the omission of a white landwalking lord called Ruler of the Pride. It's a 2/2 for {W} {W} that gives all other Cats +1/+1 and plainswalk. I have two or three of them right now. This quest might get tossed soon, though as I've got the card shop a little too well-stocked. Can someone post the default quest.preferences? I don't even remember what they are anymore, and I'm thinking about using them except for a massive credit boost.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby Xyx » 11 Apr 2014, 22:46

Just rename your quest.preferences to oldquest.preferences or something and Forge will generate a fresh one for you when it starts.
Xyx
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Forge