Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Feature Requests Thread

Postby Huggybaby » 22 Sep 2009, 17:19

Thanks for the tips Chris. 8)
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Chris H. » 22 Sep 2009, 23:40

Let us know how your quest comes out. :)
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby BarkBarkBark » 23 Sep 2009, 05:57

Sweet! Thanks Chris.
"Only one man can kill this many Russians...."
BarkBarkBark

Postby pluckcitizen » 23 Sep 2009, 15:13

I have a feature request concerning the GUI.

I mostly play on my netbook, and the 1024 x 600 resolution leaves MTG Forge feeling a little cramped. The added customization in the last update didnt help much either (the permanent bars take up more space).
pluckcitizen

Postby mtgrares » 23 Sep 2009, 18:02

Chris H. wrote:Here is a minor work-around.
Nice workaround. I'll admit that I really follow your logic but I know that I programmed every feature that you used. I'll add that to the readme.

(Programming sometimes is very painful and right now you are very happy that you did some hard work yesterday or the week before because right now your brain is all mush.)
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby DennisBergkamp » 23 Sep 2009, 18:57

pluckcitizen wrote:I have a feature request concerning the GUI.

I mostly play on my netbook, and the 1024 x 600 resolution leaves MTG Forge feeling a little cramped. The added customization in the last update didnt help much either (the permanent bars take up more space).
I'm terrible with GUIs, so I'm not sure if I could find a solution for your problem.
However, you could try this:

1. a) restart forge
b) click Menu -> Specify Card Size -> Tiny -> Ok.
(note that you can't change the card size after you've played/started a game, if you want to set it to larger again, you'll have to restart forge first)
2. in the game, just make the left (stack) and right (picture) panels as small as possible.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Marek14 » 30 Sep 2009, 20:53

Here's a thought: let's say I play Oblivion Ring and remove opponent's Grizzly Bears. Wouldn't it be nice if the description of Oblivion Ring read "=Exiled= Grizzly Bears (computer)" or something similar?

If nothing is exiled (for example the triggered ability hasn't resolved yet, or you exiled a token which ceased to exist), it would read "=Exiled= nothing"

Similarly for cards with Champion, etc. Or Oubliette. That would also show the counters that were on exiled permanent.

Talking about Oubliette, it shouldn't target a creature until it comes into play...
Marek14
Tester

Postby DennisBergkamp » 30 Sep 2009, 21:05

This is a good suggestion... I've done this for the Auras / Equipment cards (initially mostly because I was experimenting with it, and running into bugs.. I thought it would be helpful to see in game what permanent they were actually enchanting/equipping). I'll try and do this at some point, probably not for the next version though (too many things to finish).

I know Oubliette doesn't work correctly (Oblivion Ring used to be the same, but I've fixed that one). I'll fix it at some point, it's a complicated card so it won't be easy.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Marek14 » 30 Sep 2009, 21:13

Another suggestion pertains to the Future Sight cycle of token-producing Spellshapers. It seems that the game uses image of the actual Llanowar Elves for the token produced by Llanowar Mentor etc. This is not actually correct, though, since while the tokens have name, etc., like real card, they still lack mana cost. The token file here in the forums contains special token pictures for these tokens. Can they be implemented?
Marek14
Tester

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 01 Oct 2009, 03:21

Marek14 wrote:Another suggestion pertains to the Future Sight cycle of token-producing Spellshapers. It seems that the game uses image of the actual Llanowar Elves for the token produced by Llanowar Mentor etc. This is not actually correct, though, since while the tokens have name, etc., like real card, they still lack mana cost. The token file here in the forums contains special token pictures for these tokens. Can they be implemented?
The game uses the card name to build the filename, the filename is not a separate property of the Card object. The token is NAMED "Llanowar Elves", so the game loads the file named "llanowar_elves.jpg". It does have a Card object property isToken, so any mechanic that references "non-token" will still work.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby DennisBergkamp » 01 Oct 2009, 16:49

Yes, exactly. So currently the only way we could do that for those cards, is to hard-code some hack in there that checks for cards named "Llanowar Elves" or "Cloud Sprite" and will fetch a differently named jpeg if it's a token.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby silly freak » 01 Oct 2009, 19:43

how are the token images determined for normal tokens? my first guess is that it takes p/t, color and card name, and make a file name out of it (like "g_1_1_elf_warrior.jpg")
it should be easy enough to do that for all tokens, not just the non-copy ones. Llanowar Mentor would create tokens using the card picture "g_1_1_llanowar_elves.jpg"

what about that? is it possible?
___

where's the "trust me, that will work!" switch for the compiler?
Laterna Magica - blog, forum, project, 2010/09/06 release!
silly freak
DEVELOPER

Postby DennisBergkamp » 01 Oct 2009, 19:51

It's very easy yes, all we have to do is change the name of the token that gets created (which is currently "Llanowar Elves"). But this is not 100% according to the rules... I've thought about changing this, but I've kept it the original way because we currently have cards like Echoing Truth and Echoing Decay (more similar cards will undoubtedly follow).
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby silly freak » 01 Oct 2009, 20:03

so an elf warrior's token is not "Elf Warrior" at all, but "G 1 1 Elf Warrior" (or so)?
my suggestion was changing that, and taking color & P/T in addition if the card is a token. I guess that's quite a change for current token generating cards, but once it's done, what are the problems? are the original p/t & color stored in the card at every time?
___

where's the "trust me, that will work!" switch for the compiler?
Laterna Magica - blog, forum, project, 2010/09/06 release!
silly freak
DEVELOPER

Postby DennisBergkamp » 01 Oct 2009, 20:14

Exactly. "G 1 1 Elf Warrior", which is of course not correct, 98% of tokens should be nameless.
And yes, the original P/T are indeed stored in the card (baseAttack and baseDefense if I'm not mistaken). MTGForge doesn't really seem to have color as such, it's saved as a manacost. So a 1/1 Elf Warrior token would have a cost of "G" which is of course incorrect (all tokens have a cost of 0). But it's easy to work around this, since we can add some check to spells that deal with destroying or bouncing (whatever) permanents with a certain converted manacost to see tokens as having a manacost of 0 (Culling Sun, Void, Pernicious Deed).

Here's an example of a token generator, the code for Ant Queen:

Code: Select all
//*************** START *********** START **************************
    if(cardName.equals("Ant Queen"))
    {
       final SpellAbility ability = new Ability(card, "1 G")
        {
          public void resolve()
          {
            Card c = new Card();
            c.setName("G 1 1 Insect");

c.setOwner(card.getController());
            c.setController(card.getController());

c.setManaCost("G");
            c.setToken(true);

c.addType("Creature");
            c.addType("Insect");

c.setBaseAttack(1);
            c.setBaseDefense(1);

PlayerZone play = AllZone.getZone(Constant.Zone.Play, card.getController());
            play.add(c);
          }//resolve()
        };
        ability.setDescription("1 G: Put a 1/1 green Insect creature token onto the battlefield.");
        ability.setStackDescription(card.getName() +  " - Put a 1/1 green Insect token onto the battlefield.");
        card.addSpellAbility(ability);

}//*************** END ************ END **************************
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Forge