It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 08:51

Text Size

Feature Requests Thread

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Feature Requests Thread

Postby DennisBergkamp » 03 Oct 2009, 15:18

Wow, this is quite the list Marek :)

I've been busy going through the code and changing all the token names/imageNames (I'm done with CardFactory now).
By the way, what should the image names be for the token version of Llanowar Elves, Cloud Sprite and Goldmeadow Harrier?

EDIT: and Chris, you bring up an interesting point. Should we use different types of token images for certain different token generators ? It would be an easy thing to do (we would just use a different image name "g_4_4_beast_2.jpg" or something to that effect) the only slight problem I see is that different types of images of the same token type would end up stacking, which might not look the greatest.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 03 Oct 2009, 15:40

DennisBergkamp wrote:EDIT: and Chris, you bring up an interesting point. Should we use different types of token images for certain different token generators ? It would be an easy thing to do (we would just use a different image name "g_4_4_beast_2.jpg" or something to that effect) the only slight problem I see is that different types of images of the same token type would end up stacking, which might not look the greatest.
We also start to reach a point of diminishing returns. If WotC has/had a web site section containing all of the tokens, it almost might start to make sense. The other site that we use only have a few of the tokens. I'm not sure how many people (like you and me :mrgreen: ) bother to resize the high res pictures to get the best possible token.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Marek14 » 03 Oct 2009, 16:35

Chris H. wrote:
DennisBergkamp wrote:EDIT: and Chris, you bring up an interesting point. Should we use different types of token images for certain different token generators ? It would be an easy thing to do (we would just use a different image name "g_4_4_beast_2.jpg" or something to that effect) the only slight problem I see is that different types of images of the same token type would end up stacking, which might not look the greatest.
We also start to reach a point of diminishing returns. If WotC has/had a web site section containing all of the tokens, it almost might start to make sense. The other site that we use only have a few of the tokens. I'm not sure how many people (like you and me :mrgreen: ) bother to resize the high res pictures to get the best possible token.
I do. Plus, a group of resized tokens could be put up somewhere.

As for the naming of tokens: I would simply keep the convention. g_1_1_llanowar_elves.jpg, for example.

And, of course, I would put the token images into a separate directory.
Marek14
Tester

Postby silly freak » 03 Oct 2009, 17:59

i wouldn't append a number for tokens that seem the same. if at all, i would append the expansion's 3 character short form, because there may be at most one token image per expansion

but, in my opinion, as long as normal cards don't have an expansion associated with them, it makes little sense to make that distinction. think of reprints of token generators. we'd again have to arbitrarily choose one token form.

(short question, shouldn't we continue this discussion in the developer's corner? we're almost shutting down this thread...)
___

where's the "trust me, that will work!" switch for the compiler?
Laterna Magica - blog, forum, project, 2010/09/06 release!
silly freak
DEVELOPER

Postby Marek14 » 03 Oct 2009, 18:16

silly freak wrote:i wouldn't append a number for tokens that seem the same. if at all, i would append the expansion's 3 character short form, because there may be at most one token image per expansion

but, in my opinion, as long as normal cards don't have an expansion associated with them, it makes little sense to make that distinction. think of reprints of token generators. we'd again have to arbitrarily choose one token form.

(short question, shouldn't we continue this discussion in the developer's corner? we're almost shutting down this thread...)
My best idea is to allow multiple images for cards in general. Then tokens could have different images and use them randomly.

But as for reprinted generators, we could simply set them to produce the last available token. Or even, one day, to produce token image synchronized with card version.

Edit: Request - could there be some sort of "megarandom" deck for testing purposes? I'd suggest 100 cards with 6 copies of each basic land, and the rest being completely randomized, chosen from all implemented cards. (Including lands - 30% of lands can be randomly increased a bit.)
If possible, it could probably use some more life than 20, but if it's being played against itself, that should not be absolutely necessary.
Marek14
Tester

Postby pluckcitizen » 04 Oct 2009, 00:00

I'm requesting a currency/shop feature to quest mode.

Basically it would work like this. Instead of winning random rares and boosters after matches the player would get a certain amount of currency. He or she can then use that currency to buy cards from a shop.

I realize that this will make quest mode easier, but I would enjoy it much more if I was able to buy the cards I wanted to form my deck.
pluckcitizen

Postby Marek14 » 04 Oct 2009, 06:02

I thought of a new feature - caring for paid mana.

It could be implemented like thus: When you cast a spell, a list is created, containing all mana used to pay for the spell. When the spell becomes a permanent, this list is copied to permanent. If a permanent comes into play without being cast, the list of paid mana is empty.

Usefulness: This is required for implementation of 47 cards at all:

1. Sunburst cards - 16 (Arcbound Wanderer, Baton of Courage, Clearwater Goblet, Engineered Explosives, Etched Oracle, Heliophial, Infused Arrows, Lunar Avenger, Opaline Bracers, Pentad Prism, Sawtooth Thresher, Skyreach Manta, Solarion, Spinal Parasite, Suncrusher, Suntouched Myr)

2. Ravnica block "enhanced spells" - 20 (Azorius Herald, Court Hussar, Induce Paranoia, Ribbons of Night, Crypt Champion, Squealing Devil, Tin Street Hooligan, Gruul Scrapper, Dryad's Caress, Seed Spark, Shrieking Grotesque, Revenant Patriarch, Vigor Mortis, Rolling Spoil, Patagia Viper, Plaxmanta, Steamcore Weird, Ogre Savant, Flash Conscription, Boros Fury-Shield)

3. Shadowmoor block "enhanced hybrids" - 10 (Repel Intruders, River's Grasp, Firespout, Torrent of Souls, Dawnglow Infusion, Batwing Brume, Cankerous Thirst, Invert the Skies, Unnerving Assault, Moonhold)

4. Nix

"Damage tracker"
Some cards care about damage dealt during the current turn. The basic form of this would require tracking the amount of damage dealt to each object during a turn. There is already damage marked on creatures, but this tracker wouldn't be cleared by regeneration or cleanup step - only by the turn actually ending. (I think there's already something like that, since Giltspire Avenger, Sengir Bats, Sengir Vampire etc. are implemented.)

The simpler version would allow for:

1. Bloodthirst (Battering Wurm, Bloodscale Prowler, Bogardan Lancer, Burning-Tree Bloodscale, Ghor-Clan Savage, Gristleback, Petrified Wood-Kin, Rabble-Rouser, Scab-Clan Mauler, Skarrgan Firebird, Skarrgan Pit-Skulk, Skarrgan Skybreaker)

2. Various cards (Antagonism, Blazing Effigy, Burning-Eye Zubera, Crushing Pain, Discordant Spirit, Fatal Blow, Final-Sting Faerie, Giant Shark, Inflame, Initiate of Blood, Knollspine Dragon, Needle Drop, Notorious Throng, Opportunist, Orzhov Euthanist, Rushing-Tide Zubera, Spinerock Knoll, Wall of Resistance, War Elemental, Witch's Mist)

The more sophisticated version (which tracks which object did what damage) would allow:

Axelrod Gunnarson, Baron Sengir, Blood Cultist, Bone Shaman, Brine Hag, Bushi Tenderfoot, Frostwielder, Garza Zol, Plague Queen, Giant Albatross, Krovikan Vampire, Kumano's Blessing, Kumano's Pupils, Kumano, Master Yamabushi, Reciprocate, Repentant Vampire, Retaliate, Reverse Polarity, Runesword, Scythe of the Wretched, Seraph, Simulacrum, Soul Collector, Suffocation, Trophy Hunter, Unscythe, Killer of Kings, Vampiric Dragon, Vampiric Embrace, Vampiric Sliver, Vein Drinker, Wicked Akuba

Extremaly sophisticated version (tracking the whole game, not just one turn) would be required for:

Diseased Vermin, The Fallen

Similar tracker for life loss would allow:

Children of Korlis, Wound Reflection
Marek14
Tester

Postby Mr.Chaos » 04 Oct 2009, 19:19

Since I like token generators, here is a token based request.
If you make a token via an ability of a creature or other permanent, you usually must pay a mana cost.
Nemata, Grove Guardian and Wren's Run Packmaster ar good examples.
Usually, you will combo these with Gaea's Cradle, meaning you have a big supply of mana available.
So, my request is this:
If you have sufficient mana in your mana pool and the mana is of 1 color, can it be made so that by clicking the option to make a token, the game automatically substracts the needed mana from your mana pool?

Because it is no fun if you have to click Nemata, click the option to make a token, then click the mana pool and click 3 mana there, then click the OK button and then, do it all again for the next token. (I know, that is why we have Rhys the Redeemed, but often you want to make tokens with all that mana you have as well.)
It is just that 6 mouseclicks for each token is not exactly userfriendly if you ask me.
](*,) = coder at work, according to a coder.It does explain some of the bugs. :wink:
Mr.Chaos
Tester

Postby DennisBergkamp » 04 Oct 2009, 19:45

I think Zeker's manapool should fix this very issue :)
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby zerker2000 » 05 Oct 2009, 06:32

Hmm, not quite, but easy to add in: add String manaPaid into spellAbility, send the spellAbility as an argument to ManaPool.paid, and copy the getText code in before paid.fill(0), modifying it to use paid instead of has (and remove the "(" + has[i] + ")" part).
O forest, hold thy wand'ring son
Though fears assail the door.
O foliage, cloak thy ravaged one
In vestments cut for war.

--Eladamri, the Seed of Freyalise
zerker2000
Programmer

Postby Mr.Chaos » 06 Oct 2009, 06:07

zerker2000 wrote:Hmm, not quite, but easy to add in: add String manaPaid into spellAbility, send the spellAbility as an argument to ManaPool.paid, and copy the getText code in before paid.fill(0), modifying it to use paid instead of has (and remove the "(" + has[i] + ")" part).
Mr.Chaos is thinking...
An error has occured. Sending error report...

Fatal error in line 1: too much technobabble to comprehend.
Zerker, I will just take your word for it that it will work. :wink:
Face it, I'm not a coder.
](*,) = coder at work, according to a coder.It does explain some of the bugs. :wink:
Mr.Chaos
Tester

Postby zerker2000 » 06 Oct 2009, 15:47

Sorry, that was aimed at Dennis, who actually has my mana pool to work with :).

zerker2000
Programmer

Postby Mr.Chaos » 07 Oct 2009, 10:01

I know, zerker. It was just a pun at the "computer is thinking..." crash the game gives us from time to time.

But technobabble is beyond me, no matter what it is called.
Mr.Chaos
Tester

Postby Marek14 » 10 Oct 2009, 09:50

With the mana pool existing as a separate object, I wonder if it would be possible to have some "extra" mana pools for special kinds of mana?

Currently, Magic has:

Cumulative Upkeep pool - only usable for paying of cumulative upkeep costs:
Adarkar Unicorn, Snowfall

Cast pools - mana be only used to cast spells that satisfy some condition. There is Creature cast pool (Ancient Ziggurat, Food Chain, Metamorphosis), Artifact cast pool (Mishra's Workshop), Multicolored cast pool (Pillar of the Paruns) and Legendary cast pool (Untaidake, the Cloud Keeper). Piracy would, I presume, be harder because it can potentially combine with other restrictions.

Activate pools - mana can be only used to activate abilities that satisfy some condition. There is Artifact Activate pool for Soldevi Machinist

Cast/activate pools - mana can be only used to cast spells OR activate abilities that satisfy some condition. There is Elemental Cast/Activate pool (Primal Beyond, Smokebraider) and Artifact Cast/Activate pool (Vedalken Engineer)

No Cast pool - mana can be used for anything BUT casting spells. Thran Turbine

Ice Cauldron pool - each Ice Cauldron has its own.

X Pool - for X costs. Rosheen Meanderer uses it.

Now, MTG Forge doesn't support cumulative upkeep, and I'm not sure if it supports X costs. Ice Cauldron is one of the rules nightmares. But the rest, might they be doable? It would work like this:

1. if an ability adding special mana is used during payment and all mana can be spent, it is spent.
2. If not all mana can be spent, an instance of specific mana pool is created (if not already existing), and the mana is added there. Mana from special mana pool can be only spent in specified situations.
3. When a special mana pool empties, it disappears.

Apart from restricted mana, there is also:

Special effect mana: Boseiju, Who Shelters All (confers uncounterability to instants and sorceries cast with this mana), Hall of the Bandit Lord (confers haste to creatures cast with this mana)

Burnless mana: Mark of Sakiko, Sakiko, Mother of Summer, Sakura-Tribe Springcaller, Shizuko, Caller of Autumn - mana from this special mana pool only empties at end of turn.

Snow and basic-land mana:

Snow mana is used by many cards from Coldsnap, while basic land mana is used by Imperiosaur. They are hard. A possible way to implement them would be to internally store mana of given color (or colorless) as 4 numbers instead of 1 (normal, basic, snow, basic+snow). To see it separately in mana pool, player could select an option in menu. When using mana from mana pool, it would be used in this order (normal first, basic+snow last), even if player doesn't select the finer resolution, so the snow mana (which is used much more often than basic mana) would be more likely ready if needed.

When paying mana costs including the snow symbol, snow mana generated by abilities is automatically used to cover the symbol. When selecting from pool, snow mana of selected color will be used (pure snow before basic+snow)

Cards using snow mana:

Adarkar Windform
Boreal Centaur
Boreal Griffin
Chilling Shade
Cover of Winter
Diamond Faerie
Frost Raptor
Gelid Shackles
Glacial Plating
Goblin Rimerunner
Mouth of Ronom
Ohran Yeti
Phyrexian Ironfoot
Phyrexian Snowcrusher
Rime Transfusion
Rimebound Dead
Rimefeather Owl
Rimehorn Aurochs
Rimescale Dragon
Scrying Sheets
Stalking Yeti
Thermopod
Zombie Musher
Marek14
Tester

Postby zerker2000 » 10 Oct 2009, 15:45

Yes, this is something I purposely open to development, and I think I even put a restriction system in there somewhere for exactly that purpose. As for ice cauldron, I think it's simpler to just follow the rules( String noted = ""; Ability_Tap...Noted+=<mana spent>; Copy Input_PayManaCost mechanic of spending all mana you can - add rest to mana pool). Anyways, first we want X costs up and running (possibly copy Input_PayManaCost and make its setNext the actual Input_PayManaCost, its OK() have the stopSetNext,and its selectCard call Input_PayManaCostUtil.tapCardforX, which would add the cmc of manaAbility.mana() to ability.X). Ignore all "technobabble" you can't understand :P.

zerker2000
Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Forge