It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:14

Text Size

Feature Requests Thread

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Feature Requests Thread

Postby Seravy » 04 Nov 2016, 11:37

friarsol wrote:This is the article about the rules change, so you can hear it straight from the source.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2009-06-10

I believe the blocker order should be updated in the Combat panel. But it's possible the redraw isn't happening correctly all of the time. I'll check it next time I have a chance. In short, your 3/6 example is right, since 3 damage needs to be assigned to the first blocker (lethal damage) you just need to prevent one to that creature to save it. With a 5/6 you won't know if they assign all 5 to your blocker or "rollover" the remaining 2 to the next blocker (this makes more sense in a trample scenario).
Thanks, was worth reading. They have a really nice way of saying "we want to simplify the game so anyone can play it and we earn more money".

to change the most unintuitive parts of game play such that players' first instincts were more often correct
yes, well I would say this as "we want to discourage having to think" :D
Whoa so much changes...I think the terminology changes are fine. Some of them are not any less confusing to be honest (battlefield kinda implies combat, while "in play" did not) but not doing harm either, others actually make sense (exile instead of "removed from the game").
You can't keep mana during steps of phases? Now that's one I didn't know...strange, but can't think of any negative consequences right now.
Lack of mana burn...this actually improves some cards, but I think the impact on those that are worse is bigger. On the positive side this makes the game more AI friendly so I guess it's helping here...not in paper magic tho.
Token ownership....awww, there goes my chance to use a forbidden orchard-brand combo. What a waste. Combat damage..I already explained my opinion. Sad part is, I believe having to declare a "block order" actually increased complexity more than removing damage from the stack reduces it. And slows down the game. Whoa, they had to change Deathtouch to make it work with the new rules. Yep, increases complexity all right.
They buffed lifelink? Now that is a change I actually like. But half the cards in the game do not grant lifelink and now those are functionally different, which is also counterintuitive. (spirit link or vampiric link for example still grant a triggered ability)
Seravy

Postby Hanmac » 04 Nov 2016, 13:19

the difference between lifelink and "spirit link" is done interesting, because both have Pro and Contras.
lifelink is stronger because it doesn't use the Stack, while "sprit link" can be stacked (to gain even more life)
Hanmac

Postby Marek14 » 05 Nov 2016, 16:42

Hanmac wrote:the difference between lifelink and "spirit link" is done interesting, because both have Pro and Contras.
lifelink is stronger because it doesn't use the Stack, while "sprit link" can be stacked (to gain even more life)
Also, Spirit Link can be used to effectively "neutralize" an opponent's creature. Lifelink can't.

The thing is that since the changes to lifelink, it was some years -- there's now much more cards that use lifelink that cards that gave you life for damage with old wordings.
Marek14
Tester

Postby Seravy » 06 Nov 2016, 22:14

As far as I can tell, the "combat" tab shows the creatures in the order I clicked on them for blocking. Not in the order they'll take damage. Unless I missed some detail there. Even if I put a stop on all phases (DB,FS,CD) there is no moment on screen when the unit taking the damage is show on top. (unless it is meant to be bottom creature takes damage first, I doubt)
Seravy

Postby fmartel » 08 Nov 2016, 15:55

what I'd like to see is when cliking on "Alpha Strike" all creatures, able to attack, go to the player I selected, not the first one on the board.
Attachments
AlphaStrike.PNG
AlphaStrike Sample
fmartel

Postby Seravy » 08 Nov 2016, 19:11

A filer for foil cards would be nice, I can't seem to find any.
Seravy

Postby Seravy » 12 Nov 2016, 05:41

I just encountered a case where I countered a spell, yet a "when you cast a creature spell" effect triggered on it anyway. I fail to see how this helped the game becoming easier to understand, the word "cast" would implies it was not countered, at least for me. Also this buffed Mogg Conscripts a lot. Old text explicitly said "successfully cast". I might lose this game.
Seravy

Postby Marek14 » 12 Nov 2016, 07:36

Seravy wrote:I just encountered a case where I countered a spell, yet a "when you cast a creature spell" effect triggered on it anyway. I fail to see how this helped the game becoming easier to understand, the word "cast" would implies it was not countered, at least for me. Also this buffed Mogg Conscripts a lot. Old text explicitly said "successfully cast". I might lose this game.
...Excuse me? This change has been implemented in Sixth Edition, seventeen years ago. Kinda late to complain about it now, isn't it?
Marek14
Tester

Postby Seravy » 12 Nov 2016, 07:53

Marek14 wrote:
Seravy wrote:I just encountered a case where I countered a spell, yet a "when you cast a creature spell" effect triggered on it anyway. I fail to see how this helped the game becoming easier to understand, the word "cast" would implies it was not countered, at least for me. Also this buffed Mogg Conscripts a lot. Old text explicitly said "successfully cast". I might lose this game.
...Excuse me? This change has been implemented in Sixth Edition, seventeen years ago. Kinda late to complain about it now, isn't it?
Umm no, back then they used the term "played" for played and "successfully cast" for played and not countered. Maybe they changed the card itself back then but that's irrelevant. My complaint is "played" being changed to "cast" which is part of that big 10th edition term renaming change and makes things more confusing for me.
...so how do they call "played and not countered" nowadays then?
Seravy

Postby Marek14 » 12 Nov 2016, 13:19

Seravy wrote:
Marek14 wrote:
Umm no, back then they used the term "played" for played and "successfully cast" for played and not countered. Maybe they changed the card itself back then but that's irrelevant. My complaint is "played" being changed to "cast" which is part of that big 10th edition term renaming change and makes things more confusing for me.
...so how do they call "played and not countered" nowadays then?
I'm sorry, but no. True, "play" was changed to "cast" in M10 (the word "play" was retained when the card in question might be a land), but "successfully cast" disappeared in Sixth Edition, in 1999.

Before Sixth Edition, counterspells were interrupts and there was a certain window where the spell was still on stack, but it was too late to counter it. THAT was "successfully cast".

But Sixth Edition removed interrupts and simplified responses to a singular stack system. "Successfully cast" was one of the casualties of this change. From Sixth Edition on, a counterspell can target any spell on stack. The term "successfully cast" no longer makes any sense because as long as the spell is on stack, it CAN be countered (unless specifically prevented by some effect).

Since 1999, all things that trigger on casting a spell cast whether the spell is countered or not (indeed, they trigger and are put on stack even before any response to the spell can be made). Mogg Conscripts is from Tempest and doesn't trigger, but it still hasn't considered counterspells for 17 years. If you played it differently, that was your mistake.

As for how do they call "played and not countered" nowadays? They don't. No card cares about that.
Marek14
Tester

Postby Seravy » 13 Nov 2016, 08:03

Marek14 wrote:As for how do they call "played and not countered" nowadays? They don't. No card cares about that.
Oh, that certainly makes things simple. I didn't even consider the possibility there are no such cards remaining.
Thanks.
I guess they could use the word "resolves" if they really want to.
Seravy

Postby qwds30 » 13 Nov 2016, 19:40

As I can't see Kaladesh Inventions cards in set KLD from deck editor, may I ask will these reprinted invention cards appear when playing Forge Kaladesh booster draft or sealed deck game? If not, will you guys make this possible in the future later? :)
qwds30

Postby Piogre » 13 Nov 2016, 20:18

qwds30 wrote:As I can't see Kaladesh Inventions cards in set KLD from deck editor, may I ask will these reprinted invention cards appear when playing Forge Kaladesh booster draft or sealed deck game? If not, will you guys make this possible in the future later? :)
They're not in the KLD set, but in their own separate set MPS. And they do show up in KLD drafts; I got a hangarback walker in a KLD draft just the other day.

If you look in the Kaladesh set file, you'll see there's a line in there:

Code: Select all
AdditionalSheetForFoils=fromSheet("KLD Masterpiece Series")
Which makes it possible for the foil slot to be a Masterpiece (presumably at the same frequency as other mythics.) Similar lines can be found in the Battle and Oath set files for the expeditions.
Piogre

Postby Piogre » 13 Nov 2016, 20:23

I've been using forge for a while, and like to put all my paper decks into it. This includes matching versions of the cards, etc.

One problem I've encountered is foiling - I can make the cards in the deck foil to match my paper decks, but it's a bit of a hassle (I need to manually open the deck file in a text editor and add the plus sign next to the name).

Would it be possible to add a button in the default deck editor and commander deck editor to apply foiling to a selected card in the deck?
Piogre

Postby Marek14 » 14 Nov 2016, 08:14

Seravy wrote:
Marek14 wrote:As for how do they call "played and not countered" nowadays? They don't. No card cares about that.
Oh, that certainly makes things simple. I didn't even consider the possibility there are no such cards remaining.
Thanks.
I guess they could use the word "resolves" if they really want to.
Closest to this is the haunt mechanic on spells which triggers on spell being put into a graveyard after resolving. Then again, that mechanic wasn't exactly successful.

Mostly things trigger on permanents entering the battlefield or on spells being cast. Eldrazi creatures, as one of their gimmicks, tend to have triggers that fire when you cast them instead when they enter the battlefield, which means that even if opponent counters your expensive creature, you still get at least something out of it.
Marek14
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Forge