It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:26

Text Size

Feature Requests Thread

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Feature Requests Thread

Postby PikWik » 21 Sep 2016, 23:46

In response to my previous request, about a format selection for random decks, I have found the filter settings in the 'Constructed window'. Although, it doesn't work as expected.

One, you can either filter by file/folder name, and then click 'random deck'. Which isn't ideal if you have a large number of downloaded decks in separate folders. And setting up that filter isn't intuitive and kind of slow for setting up new filter settings for rematches.

or Two, you can filter by format in the deck selection column. But, since most decks are multiple formats in Forge, Forge doesn't separate the formats and lumps them into 1 group for filtering. ie. if a deck is legal in Vintage, Modern, Legacy, Vintage, Extended, Standard, then you cannot filter that deck for only extended #-o

If there was a simple popup that allowed filtering, like this

it would make randomizing by specific format much easier. Default, respectively, would be all formats, but then the user could select/deselect any number of formats to randomize based on their selection.

Thanks again, Forge is still the bees knees :D :D :D
PikWik

Postby Ravious » 13 Oct 2016, 15:00

Thank you so much Forge! This program has been a virtual lifesaver for me. I cannot begin to tell you how much joy and time this program brings me. I also cannot wait for the upcoming Planar Conquest. Anyway, enough gushing... here is my suggestion:

New Game Mode: Sealed KO

I got this idea watching Hearthstone tournaments, and I was thinking if there was a way it could be brought to Magic. In some Hearthstone tournaments you make multiple decks with the different hero-types. When you win with a deck, you can't use it anymore. I also play a MtG fatpack sealed league with my local gaming group. Like peanut butter and jelly, I thought!

So with Sealed KO you would get a fatpack pool of cards from a set. Then you have to make two decks from the pool (one weirdo in the group did this first, and then it caught on... genius weirdo). This could be done with the selection change in Forge (sideboard, commander, etc.).

When you win with one deck, then you have to use your other deck for a best of 3.

Then we also do a block sealed KO with two fatpacks (one from each set) to create three decks. Same idea, but it becomes best of 5 (win with your three decks).

Anyway, Forge has the amazing quest mode and the upcoming planar conquest mode.... I was thinking it would be cool if it also had an interesting limited format.

I would pay money to see this happen. Keep up the great work and thank you so much for this wonderful program!
Ravious

Postby friarsol » 13 Oct 2016, 16:35

Ravious wrote:When you win with one deck, then you have to use your other deck for a best of 3.
Mostly just curious, but what exactly does that mean?

First Game:
Deck 1A vs Deck 2A

Second Game:
Deck 1B vs Deck 2A // Deck 1A vs Deck 2B

Third Game (if nec)
Deck 1B vs Deck 2B
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Ravious » 13 Oct 2016, 17:50

Yes, because then it "handicaps" the winner. In deckbuilding do you build a monster Deck 1A with all your bombs? Or do you spread it out between decks? Do you automatically use your more powerful deck for the first game? Lots of neat strategy components have arisen in our little gaming group.
Ravious

Postby TheGordo84 » 17 Oct 2016, 01:45

Hello, this program is awesome, it let mi test cards before take the risk to buy them... and i want to propose a feature, because testing kaladesh it was hard to find the amount of energy counters i have, i click on the creature and there i can see the amount i have, but it is not very useful. Thanks!!
TheGordo84

Postby friarsol » 17 Oct 2016, 02:32

TheGordo84 wrote:Hello, this program is awesome, it let mi test cards before take the risk to buy them... and i want to propose a feature, because testing kaladesh it was hard to find the amount of energy counters i have, i click on the creature and there i can see the amount i have, but it is not very useful. Thanks!!
The next release already has energy counters on the player panel. We just weren't able to get it in for the pre-release (it was after all, just a pre-release build).
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Mrs Non-Gorilla » 23 Oct 2016, 02:25

When starting up with a bunch of net decks loaded, I tend to get warnings like:

An unknown card found when loading Forge decks: "�ther Vial" Forge does not know of such a card's existence. Have you mistyped the card name?
If the warning reported the name of the deck, it'd save me some time; I have enough decks in my constructed directory that grepping through it is kind of a pain...
Mrs Non-Gorilla

Postby Indigo Dragon » 25 Oct 2016, 04:02

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/commander-2016-mechanics-2016-10-24 wrote:Partner (You can have two commanders if both have partner.)
:shock:
Okaayy, that seems like a bugger to code.

My favorite gamemode on Forge is Commander, so what I would really like is that the commander section would get a rehaul, bringing it up to what mobile version has done (Able to see what colors the deck is, latest set, amount of cards in main and sideboard, sort by colors, able to view and edit from home, etc.)
Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V
Indigo Dragon

Postby Seravy » 03 Nov 2016, 19:58

Two requests :
-I would like a "combat damage goes onto stack" checkbox. These new rules are horrible. Aside from every cool card that is activated by sacrificing a creature turning to unplayble garbage, I find it hard to swallow I have to prevent damage BEFORE I know where it will be assigned to (assuming multiple blockers or some special ability).
Unless I'm missing something, I take there is no way to active a "prevent 3 damage" ability or spell after the attacker assigned the damage...and it's pointless before as the damage will then be assigned to the other blocker?
-Can we get the "favorite" column for quest deck editor and shop?
Seravy

Postby Hanmac » 03 Nov 2016, 20:50

@Seravy:
the first thing might be impossible.
its difficult enough to do the right features.
doing outdated stuff might be to complicated.

you need to block with ONE creature to get a benefit from the Prevent Abilities.
(and you need to block something without Trample)
Hanmac

Postby Seravy » 03 Nov 2016, 21:14

Hanmac wrote:@Seravy:
the first thing might be impossible.
its difficult enough to do the right features.
doing outdated stuff might be to complicated.

you need to block with ONE creature to get a benefit from the Prevent Abilities.
(and you need to block something without Trample)
Ugh...so I better not use any prevent or sacrifice cards again ever. I liked those cards :(
One creature might not be enough to actually kill the attacker so this is a major direct nerf to those abilities..and they weren't very strong in the first place.
Does anyone actually like these new rules? I would think people secretly still play by the old rules whereever they can.
Blocking then sacrificing/returning to hand was one of best things the game had, as it actually made you feel smarter than the other player(s) when you did it. I'm not a fan of changes that make the game less complex and dumber.

Oh well, I suspected it won't be easy to do, but maybe in the far future...ehh I wasted those 16 credits on Orim :D
Seravy

Postby Hanmac » 03 Nov 2016, 21:31

Blocking & Sacrifice does still work but if they are removed from combat they do not deal any damage.

and i wonder why you call that "new rules" they exist as far as i can remember.
Hanmac

Postby friarsol » 04 Nov 2016, 00:46

Seravy wrote:Does anyone actually like these new rules? I would think people secretly still play by the old rules whereever they can.
Blocking then sacrificing/returning to hand was one of best things the game had, as it actually made you feel smarter than the other player(s) when you did it. I'm not a fan of changes that make the game less complex and dumber.
They changed damage on the stack in 2009, that's a long time in Magic age. I played Magic back in the day (started around Homelands and played through Planeshift), and while I liked the interaction, it also didn't really make sense that a Mogg Fanatic got to deal damage twice while in combat. It only really existed because Protection bubbles didn't. I highly doubt too many people play with the old rules (How many people even know the old rules?). There were plenty of dumb old rules that were streamlined away over time.. like tapped blockers not being able to deal damage. Typically this "nerfs" a few cards, but is generally a greater good. (Sorry Master of Arms).

I was actually the one who converted Forge from the old damage system to the "new", I can tell you it took forever and is probably irreversible, unlike mana burn which is fairly isolated in Forge's codebase. The main thing that replaced damage on the stack is blocking ordering, so you at least know in which order lethal damage will be assigned to blockers. Damage prevention still is a bit weaker, since you'll need to "guess" where they'll assign all their damage, but I think in general it was a positive change.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Seravy » 04 Nov 2016, 00:59

Hanmac wrote:Blocking & Sacrifice does still work but if they are removed from combat they do not deal any damage.

and i wonder why you call that "new rules" they exist as far as i can remember.
I played real card magic from 1999 to 2006, was even a judge for some time. Then stopped playing, sold my cards, and since there was no good computer version of the game whenever I looked until now (guess I should have searched better), I didn't play with these rules until now. So for me they are new, I only knew about them from rumors and honestly I can't comprehend why they changed it, the game worked fine for those 7 years with those rules. There was no real need to change it, unlike the previous major change at 6th edition, when earlier rules were really poorly designed : the 6th rulebook was, like, half the size of a 5th edition rulebook yet the game played mostly the same.
This cannot be said about these changes, they don't make the rules any simpler, but actually change how the game works instead. Which is something I have never seen happen during the time I played. And I remember the official explanation was that they want to make this game simpler to play to get more profits, well thanks, I can play Pokemon or Yugioh for that.
Imagine if you tried to play chess and someone told you "but the queen can't move diagonally anymore, new rules", that kind of feeling.

It's pointless to block and sacrifice if you do not kill the creature you blocked with damage, these cards were designed with that feature in mind. You're better off blocking and not sacrificing in case of most of these abilities. Take a look at Martyr's Cause. You sac the creature, after it killed whichever it could by blocking it, and prevent damage to you (or another of your blockers). That's useful, you can trade your creature and still get an effect from the enchantment. Saccing the creature first just makes you lose the game, or perhaphs it's better if you just block and don't sac, in other words not play the enchantment. Same deal for Phyexian Plaguelord, it deals 4 combat damage and you sac it to grant a -4/-4 on top so it kills a 8/8 creature. But with these rules it's just an overpriced 4/4 that either deals 4 damage by blocking or gives -4/-4 and deals no damage. And these cards were a lot of fun to play, now, I guess I have to avoid both. Same can be said about "return to owner's hand" effects. Now you can't use those to save your creature after it dealt damage. Which was their best use.

Is there any card that becomes more fun to play with the new rules? I don't think so..it just takes away a game phase without giving anything in return.

so you at least know in which order lethal damage will be assigned to blockers.
You do? Where can I see that when I'm blocking and the AI assigns the damage? I know the game asks me when I attack, never understood what that was good for. If I understand what you say, it means if I block their 3/6 with two 3/3s they have to tell which one they will damage first, and I can prevent from that safely? But if they have a 5/6 attacker and I can only prevent 2 I'm in trouble because the extra 2 can go anywhere?

Damage prevention still is a bit weaker, since you'll need to "guess" where they'll assign all their damage, but I think in general it was a positive change.
Damage prevention is the lesser problem (as it is never was a strong strategy), I see the sacrifice/return nerf as a much bigger one. This is a major nerf to cards like the plaguelord, palinchron, claws of gix, boomerang etc, the effect hits a lot of cards, including some tournament level ones.

btw one more suggestion to get back on topic, it would be nice to have a quest mode option for sale price % (starting and bonus per win)
Seravy

Postby friarsol » 04 Nov 2016, 01:12

This is the article about the rules change, so you can hear it straight from the source.
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/ar ... 2009-06-10

I believe the blocker order should be updated in the Combat panel. But it's possible the redraw isn't happening correctly all of the time. I'll check it next time I have a chance. In short, your 3/6 example is right, since 3 damage needs to be assigned to the first blocker (lethal damage) you just need to prevent one to that creature to save it. With a 5/6 you won't know if they assign all 5 to your blocker or "rollover" the remaining 2 to the next blocker (this makes more sense in a trample scenario).
friarsol
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Forge