It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:22

Text Size

Wiki?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Wiki?

Postby silly freak » 30 Aug 2009, 15:00

seeing the new post in "words that cards.txt recognizes", i thought about the wiki.

I think a wiki would be an ideal place to explain things like spDestroyTgt and such, and it could also be used to explain programming related stuff, say, how to incorporate the error reporting (or the hopefully soon-coming internationalization ;)) into new code.

so my question is: how is the editing-rights situation for the wiki, and what do you think of it?
___

where's the "trust me, that will work!" switch for the compiler?
Laterna Magica - blog, forum, project, 2010/09/06 release!
silly freak
DEVELOPER

Re: Wiki?

Postby apthaven » 30 Aug 2009, 15:47

Well.. I've seen the Forge Wiki. And it does lack information about most of the stuff here in the forum.

I think it's a nice idea to do update it. With regards to access I guess the programmers should be given more rights to handle that wiki seeing to that they understand the stuff better.

But of course, we active Forge forumers could help too. Though I'm not into programming though, I've been here for quite a while now (mostly lurked my way until July where I finally decided to became active in this forum).

I've tried editing it. And I was able to. Except that I didn't save the changes. So I guess all you have to do is login. Of course all changes will be registered under your username and IP address.
"I am a man and real men do not consume pink beverages. Get thee gone woman, and bring me something brown." - Jace Wayland
apthaven
Tester

Postby Chris H. » 30 Aug 2009, 16:30

A MTG wiki site was created for Forge several months ago. It is part of the CCGH wiki site. The link for this wiki is:

http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/MTG_Forge

I found several paragraphs of basic information in one of the documentation files that Rares wrote. I did a simple copy and paste and the Forge wiki site now has limited info and a few links.

I added what I could. I do not have any prior experience in adding and managing content on a wiki site. :oops:

Anyone of us can sign in to this site, I think that you use the same user name and password that we use here in the forums.

The type of content that could appear on this site is only limited by our ideas and our willingness to make a contribution. And yes, please remember to click the save button. I have made this mistake several times and later realized that my work was flushed down the great toilet of forgetfulness. :roll: :lol:
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby silly freak » 30 Aug 2009, 21:17

thanks ;) i've seen the the page, but would never have guessed you had to login separately
___

silly freak
DEVELOPER

Postby Huggybaby » 31 Aug 2009, 06:40

Yes, just use the same login and password that you use for this forum. The wiki is just sitting there, waiting for someone to take ownership. It's a great thing to do for someone who wants to contribute but may not know how to code, or doesn't have the time or MTG proficiency to be a tester.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 31 Aug 2009, 13:44

I'm looking and looking, and I can't figure this out - How does one create new pages?
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby silly freak » 31 Aug 2009, 13:48

yeah, is a little tricky. i simply typed /wiki/My_new_Page,
and then clicked edit. i neither found a clean way ;)
___

silly freak
DEVELOPER

Postby Huggybaby » 31 Aug 2009, 14:17

Yeah, page creation is a bit roundabout, I haven't found a way to just make a new one in one step.

What I do is search for a page in the search box, then when it doesn't show up you'll see this:
Search results
No page title matches

There is no page titled "Insert Nonexistent Page Name Here". You can create this page.
Then, click on "create this page".

The create page link looks like

Code: Select all
http://www.slightlymagic.net/mw/index.php?title=New_Page&action=edit&redlink=1
Replace the "New_Page" bit with the proper title, using underscores.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Return to Forge