It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 01:28

Text Size

Edit the decks used by AI.

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Edit the decks used by AI.

Postby pluckcitizen » 22 Sep 2009, 20:55

Love the game, but I have one question:

How do I edit the decks that the AI uses? I hate fighting against a well constructed sliver deck, specifically in quest mode.

also for a feature request: Shop/currency for quest mode

Cheers.
pluckcitizen

Re: Edit the decks used by AI.

Postby Chris H. » 22 Sep 2009, 23:30

pluckcitizen wrote:Love the game, but I have one question:

How do I edit the decks that the AI uses? I hate fighting against a well constructed sliver deck, specifically in quest mode.

also for a feature request: Shop/currency for quest mode

Cheers.
Place a file named "edit" in the forge root folder. This file can not have a filename extension. That is, the file can not end with a .txt or a .doc or any other filename extension.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 23 Sep 2009, 03:21

Note the file doesn't have to have anything in particular in it. I can be a completely empty file. The game just checks for the existence of the file. It is however case sensitive - "edit" all lower-case.

Thats's the how... now here's the why-not:

On the other hand, the AI decks are designed to be intense. Show up at any FNM and there's always at least one opponent playing Mono Blue Control, etc. - a deck nobody likes playing against or match up well against.... Why should a Quest be different? The AI can't do a control deck yet, but it's pretty good in basic aggro. The decks should be varied in the exact strategies.

On another hand, Slivers could be like a boss screen in any other game.... Editing the deck to bypass the challenge? Then what's the point?
Edit it to make it more consistent, or powerful as we add cards that may fit better... then share it so it makes the next version. IMHO, don't cheat yourself against a nerfed deck.

8-[
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby pluckcitizen » 23 Sep 2009, 04:31

I agree with you, Rob. I just feel like it's unfair that the AI can have a fully constructed deck to play against my random assortment of booster cards in quest mode.

I guess that offsets the easiness and predictability of the AI, which is why I want to keep some of those tough decks around.

Something that would really expand quest mode would be allowing the players to choose/purchase the cards they want for their decks via a card shop. That way deck themes can be established without having to 'pray' that you get the cards you want in the random booster.

Don't get me wrong, making the most of the cards your dealt is fun and challenging too, it's just my personal preference to be able to mold my deck more efficiently.

Anyway the fact that you can choose one of three opponents allows people to bypass the challenge of playing certain decks.
pluckcitizen

Postby Chris H. » 23 Sep 2009, 11:47

Play balancing issues were a part of the development process of the quest mode. People want to be able to win while feeling that they were challenged at the same time. People also want to face opponent decks that are different from one another and not just a random pool of cards. The lack of a strong computer AI makes this difficult.

A card shop could be fun but it also may have an impact on the play balance. You can create a deck in the Constructed -> Deck Editor and export the deck file. You can then import this deck file into quest mode and use it against the computer. You may find that it becomes too easy to beat the computer decks. :-k

Rob makes a good point about the opponents and their decks that you will face at a FNM session. If it was just you and Mr. Mono Blue Control deck … you might decide to go elsewhere on Friday night.

Quest mode has slightly more than 80 opponent decks that you can face. You wont face Slivers very often. And if someone wanted to, they could create additional quest decks using the recent cards that have been added. More opponent decks to face would be great. And Slivers would show up even less often. 8)
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby pluckcitizen » 23 Sep 2009, 14:32

Thanks Chris H. I didnt know that I was able to import my own created deck to use in quest mode. Like you said, however, this might be a little too easy.

I'm just looking to be rewarded for my wins and have some sort of goal in mind to strive for with minimal 'randomness'.
pluckcitizen

Postby mtgrares » 23 Sep 2009, 17:46

I agree with you, Rob. I just feel like it's unfair that the AI can have a fully constructed deck to play against my random assortment of booster cards in quest mode.
I only did this in order to artificially increase the difficultly.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Return to Forge