It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:17

Text Size

Custom Card Thread

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Custom Card Thread

Postby friarsol » 10 Jul 2016, 14:53

aquilla wrote:How do I define new "protections"? Eg protection from nonwhite, or nonenchantment. Example card:
There's a default protection argument that can gets parsed through the "Valid" property checker.

K:Protection:<Valid param>:<Keyword descriptor>

K:Protection:Card.nonWhite:protection from nonwhite
K:Protection:Card.nonEnchantment:Protection from nonenchantments

aquilla wrote:I have a spell that gains you 4 life, then if you 10 life or less, you draw two cards. I've gotten it to work but the trigger always says "Human draws 2 cards", even when I don't. I had one version of it earlier where it would say "Human draws 0 cards". Anyway... Is there a simple fix for this?
The Stack Description tries to auto-generate based on the params, but not everything is possible to generate this way. You should be able to override it, by using the StackDescription$ param on that part of the effect.

SVar:SubDraw:DB$ Draw | Cost$ 0 | Defined$ You | NumCards$ 2 | ConditionCheckSVar$ X | ConditionSVarCompare$ LE10 | StackDescription$ If you have 10 or less life, draw two cards.

aquilla wrote:Does the reduce cost function work on 2/X costed cards? The following card can't reduce those cards, but works on other cards
Could be a bug in the cost reduction code.

aquilla wrote:A more general question: Who is "You"? The human player? Controller/owner of the card?

Anyway, I've had fun :)
"You" is the controller of the ability (which typically is the controller of the card), this is a magic terminology, not Forge specific. "You gain 5 life". "Self" is the card itself.

Glad to hear it.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby edessa » 11 Jul 2016, 23:00

Hi to everyone, Its been a while since I upload anything to the forum, real life has taking much of my time. But now I have some time, but before I will write a bit about what to expect about the next upload, hoping some ideas exchange or suggestions for the cards, it will be better if they are post it before I scrip the cards :wink:

Well last set I upload was Tribes of Arden 4, until then I was uploading minisets of a hundred cards each, without counting basic lands, but now I believe its time for a really big set.

So I divided my fictional plane (Arden) into four mainland regions. North, South, East and West, each of the are connected by small land bridges and separated by a great lake at the center and seas around them.

I will write a little about the first. I decided to go for the South. South Arden has as its main colors Red, Green and Black, Blue and White will be secondary colors, that means you will found a little number of cards of the secondary colors, red will be the most predominant color.

There will be 15 different races. Boar (previously presented as Quilboar in a previous release, I decided to change them to a creature type already in Magic), Centaur, Goblin, Griffin, Humans (Rebels, Barbarians, Nomads), Hyena (Gnoll previously, as quilboars I change them), Kavu, Minotaur, Ogre, Orc, Rat, Rhino and Wolf. The number of cards for each type will be different trying to express the minority on numbers some species have.

Each type will also be a bit different about sharing some kind of interaction. Each will have a tribal enchantment, sorcery and an instant, also a land that benefits or interacts with them. I decided to eliminate the tribal equipments. Although there will be artifacts, equipments and fortifications in the set not many but there will be some. So I hope you like them and to share some of your thoughts. Any suggestions will be taking in consideration.
edessa

Postby edessa » 11 Jul 2016, 23:02

Here you will have the first spoilers for the southern region of my plane. I hope you like them.
Attachments
Armored Ogre.full.jpg
Arena Lifestyle.full.jpg
Amulet of Blood.full.jpg
Amphibian Terranox.full.jpg
Amir Voice of Desert.full.jpg
Ambush at the Barrens.full.jpg
Alpha Wolfren.full.jpg
Alpha Terranox.full.jpg
Alpha Roar.full.jpg
Abandoned Temple.full.jpg
edessa

Postby edessa » 11 Jul 2016, 23:07

Any suggestions will be apreciated.
Attachments
Blind Courage.full.jpg
Berserking.full.jpg
Barrens Servant.full.jpg
Barrens Scavenger.full.jpg
Barely Survive.full.jpg
Barbarians Battlepit.full.jpg
Trying to use a new land type, the Coliseums.
Barbarian Outpost.full.jpg
Barbarian Fortress.full.jpg
Aura Manipulation.full.jpg
Ascending.full.jpg
Some of the cards are present in the previous release with minor changes.
edessa

Postby edessa » 11 Jul 2016, 23:14

Waiting your suggestions.
Attachments
Boggart Pike.full.jpg
Boggart Gathering.full.jpg
Boggart Caverns.full.jpg
I decided to remove the Tapping for {1} ability for the "tribal" lands, still uncertain about it
Boar Spines.full.jpg
Bloodsoaked Axe.full.jpg
Bloodsmiling Gnoll.full.jpg
Bloodcrazed Rhox.full.jpg
Blood Warboss.full.jpg
Blood Shaman.full.jpg
Blood Coliseum.full.jpg
edessa

Postby edessa » 11 Jul 2016, 23:16

Another 10 cards. Waiting suggestions as well.
Attachments
Brutality.full.jpg
Brutal Strength.full.jpg
Brutal Butchering.full.jpg
Bone-Interpreter Shaman.full.jpg
Boiling Ground.full.jpg
Boggart Warchief.full.jpg
Boggart Shaman.full.jpg
Boggart Shadow.full.jpg
Boggart Reaper.full.jpg
Boggart Raider.full.jpg
edessa

Postby edessa » 11 Jul 2016, 23:20

Last 10 for today, by now Im on the scripting phase, this will take a few weeks, depending on my free time, I hope reading your opinions about the cards, the art, the set, anything you would like to see or a card(s) that needs balance. Thanks to all and I hope you like them.
Attachments
Clan Warhammer.full.jpg
Clan Warchief.full.jpg
Clan Leadership.full.jpg
City Between Sands.full.jpg
Chief Deathblade.full.jpg
Charging with Fury.full.jpg
Charging Band.full.jpg
Chalice of Souls.full.jpg
Centaur Paladin.full.jpg
Bull-Rider Clansmen.full.jpg
edessa

Postby correioalternativo » 12 Jul 2016, 00:22

Opinions and suggestions:

Amulet of Blood: very good. Combo material.Shrieking Drake :twisted:
Amir: maybe too good. Remember Changeling.
Ambush at the Barrens: instead of 1, X poison counters; X = target nonland permanent CMC.
Abandoned Temple: very good. It seems better than Phyrexian Arena.
Berseking: add trample. As Ball Lightning says: "Anything that cost {R} {R} {R} should have trample".
Barrrens Servant: make it full art or add story to it.
Barbarians Battlepit: Coliseum! Nice type.
Boggart Caverns: one token per attacking creature? Or just one, regardless the horde?
Brutal Butchering: very good, a black Pyroclasm.
Clan Warhammer: A question: Do Fight and Trample interact?
Chalice of Souls: remove the first ability, change cost to {0} = the graveyard mox.
correioalternativo

Postby aquilla » 12 Jul 2016, 00:27

edessa wrote:Here you will have the first spoilers for the southern region of my plane. I hope you like them.
I'm not much for tribals, but they look good :) Some thoughts:

Ambush: Black can't destroy enchantments & artifacts. How about just creature or planeswalker?
Alpha Roar: Could probably cost less. I wouldn't play it even if it was XR and instant
I like Abandoned Temple. It's slightly broken though (Phyrexian Arena, Underworld Connections). An increase in fortify cost would be sufficient I think
Barren Scavanger: Scary
Chalice of Souls is awesome! Great design. Very strong too though

What's the reason for putting cards on the bottom of your library from your graveyard?

friarsol: Thanks for that! It sorted out a few cards :)

Here's a couple more that I can't get working, if anyone would like to assist again. They're hurting my head .. :)

A creature that steals an opponent's creature when it dies for as long as it remains in your graveyard. Exiling it from your graveyard does not return it. I've tried simpler conditions as well. I think the problem might lie in that it's changing zones
Code: Select all
Name:Haunting Banshee
ManaCost:2/B 2/B 2/B
Types:Enchantment Creature Spirit
PT:2/2
T:Mode$ ChangesZone | Origin$ Battlefield | Destination$ Graveyard | ValidCard$ Card.Self | Execute$ TrigSteal | TriggerDescription$ When CARDNAME dies, gain control of target creature an opponent controls for as long as CARDNAME remains in your graveyard.
SVar:TrigSteal:AB$ GainControl | Cost$ 0 | ValidTgts$ Creature.OppCtrl | TgtPrompt$ Choose target creature an opponent controls | RememberObjects$ Card.Self | LoseControl$ StaticCommandCheck | StaticCommandCheckSVar$ X | StaticCommandSVarCompare$ EQ0 | SpellDescription$ Gain control of target creature an opponent controls for as long as CARDNAME remains in your graveyard.
SVar:X:Remembered$Valid Card.inZoneGraveyard
Oracle:When Haunting Banshee dies, gain control of target creature an opponent controls for as long as Haunting Banshee remains in your graveyard.
My next card is a Makeshift Mannequin that should modify the targets PT and types for as long as it has the counter on it. I've experimented a lot with how to add this effect (or something simple like flying) but to no success. Here with animate to add a permanent static continuous effect:
Code: Select all
Name:Recrudescence
ManaCost:1 B
Types:Sorcery
A:SP$ ChangeZone | Cost$ 1 B | ValidTgts$ Creature.YouCtrl | TgtPrompt$ Choose target creature from your graveyard | Origin$ Graveyard | Destination$ Battlefield | RememberTargets$ True | SubAbility$ DBCounter | StackDescription$ SpellDescription | SpellDescription$ Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield with an essence counter on it. That creature is a 1/1 enchantment Spirit creature as long as it has an essence counter on it.
SVar:DBCounter:DB$ PutCounter | Defined$ Targeted | CounterType$ MANNEQUIN | CounterNum$ 1 | SubAbility$ DBAnimate
SVar:DBAnimate:DB$ Animate | Defined$ Targeted | StaticAbilities$ DBContinuous | Permanent$ True
SVar:DBContinuous:Mode$ Continuous | EffectZone$ Battlefield | Affected$ Card.Self+counters_GE1_MANNEQUIN | SetPower$ 1 | SetToughness$ 1 | Types$ Enchantment,Creature,Spirit | OverwriteTypes$ True
Oracle:Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield with an essence counter on it. That creature is a 1/1 enchantment Spirit creature as long as it has an essence counter on it.
Other than that, three colours done now :) Except I haven't looked into how to add my own keywords yet
aquilla

Postby edessa » 12 Jul 2016, 00:45

Ambush: Black can't destroy enchantments & artifacts. How about just creature or planeswalker?
Alpha Roar: Could probably cost less
I like Abandoned Temple. It's slightly broken though
Barren Scavanger: Scary
Chalice of Souls is awesome! Great design. Very strong too though

What's the reason for putting cards on the bottom of your library from your graveyard?

Well about "Ambush..." I've try to made something similar to "Abrupt Decay" and "Maelstrom Pulse" but purely black changing the multicolored cost for a higher cost.

The other you mention feels right to me, well maybe the temple is a little bit broken, but there are many ways to get rid of it so that compensates.

About the returning to deck tribals, well I like recursivity (didn't know if is correctly write :) ) so thats a characteristic all the tribal instants have, a way of reuse some of your resources by playing a tribal deck. But I will keep that in mind, thanks.
edessa

Postby edessa » 12 Jul 2016, 00:55

Amulet of Blood: very good. Combo material.Shrieking Drake :twisted:
Amir: maybe too good. Remember Changeling.
Ambush at the Barrens: instead of 1, X poison counters; X = target nonland permanent CMC.
Abandoned Temple: very good. It seems better than Phyrexian Arena.
Berseking: add trample. As Ball Lightning says: "Anything that cost {R} {R} {R} should have trample".
Barrrens Servant: make it full art or add story to it.
Barbarians Battlepit: Coliseum! Nice type.
Boggart Caverns: one token per attacking creature? Or just one, regardless the horde?
Brutal Butchering: very good, a black Pyroclasm.
Clan Warhammer: A question: Do Fight and Trample interact?
Chalice of Souls: remove the first ability, change cost to {0} = the graveyard mox.[/quote]

Thanks for your answer. My thoughts:
Amir: Maybe upgrading Amir's cost to {2}{W}{W}.
Ambush...: I believe X poison counters could be overpowered, I will playtest two different versions before decide.
Berserking: Trample is one of the most used keywords on the set so I believe is redundant. But it will be considered.
Boggart Caverns: it will triggers for each creature so its a force to be considered (althoug maybe overpowered).
Clan Warhammer: this is going to sound funny but I don't know if they do, I believe they do like with Wither and Infect.
Chalice: I will keep it that way but mostly cause there is something similar to a "Graveyard Mox" but not in this set :wink:
edessa

Postby edessa » 12 Jul 2016, 00:57

Aquilla, about the help you ask, if you could upload an image of the card (MSE image) I could help you, cause its difficult to me, maybe because thats the way I work, to script a card without an image as a guide.
edessa

Postby edessa » 12 Jul 2016, 05:11

I did slight modifications to "Ambush at the Barrens". So you write which one is your prefered, this or the previous version.
Attachments
Ambush at the Barrens.jpg
edessa

Postby edessa » 12 Jul 2016, 05:14

I'll leave some more spoilers for today, waiting your considerations.
Attachments
Dark Forest Boggart.full.jpg
Crushing.full.jpg
Crossing Sandlands.full.jpg
Covered in Rage.full.jpg
Courage Shield.full.jpg
Corrupted Tauren.full.jpg
Concentrate Energy.full.jpg
Coliseum of Glory and Honor.full.jpg
Claw Vigilant.full.jpg
Claw Mountain.full.jpg
edessa