It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:46

Text Size

sealed deck mode

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

sealed deck mode

Postby joemuz » 15 Oct 2009, 05:21

hey guys, new user here. first off, thanks to all who made this product possible. i've really been enjoying playing this and manalink the past few days. i just installed the latest beta (10/07) and i have some questions i hope you guys can help me with.

1. this has to do with sealed deck mode. is there a way to start with a pool with more than 75 cards? also how are the cards generated? i see there are cards from all different sets old and new from legends to zendikar. does the program just pick a certain amount of common, uncommon, and rares? is there a way i can tell the program i want 1 starter of unlimited edition, 2 boosters of legends, 1 booster of ice age, and 1 booster of invasion? kind of like in manalink and the microprose version?

also, when i go to deck editor, then go to open deck - sealed, i get a list of 5 decks:
1. 000
2. GU-2
3. now
4. now-00
5. now-222

decks 1, 4, and 5 give errors when i try to load. decks 2, 3, give just 2 random decks. is there anything special with these decks? they just confused me.

2. is there a way to group the cards based on what set they are from? and is there a list of all the cards available and what set they belong to? i just wanted to get an idea of how many cards are from the old sets like a/b/u and legends and how many belong to newer sets. i think it'd be cool if within the game you were able to restrict cards from certain sets or only play with cards from certain sets. i.e. if i wanted to make a deck with only cards from the alara block and play against the same or if i wanted to do a draft with cards from only ABU & legends set. is something like that possible?

thanks again for creating this program!
joemuz

Re: sealed deck mode

Postby silly freak » 15 Oct 2009, 06:34

currently, sets are not saved for cards. it would probably be possible if we store that too, although it would take some time to adjust the deck generator and user interface to support all that. i think it's worthwhile
___

where's the "trust me, that will work!" switch for the compiler?
Laterna Magica - blog, forum, project, 2010/09/06 release!
silly freak
DEVELOPER

Postby Marek14 » 15 Oct 2009, 07:52

silly freak wrote:currently, sets are not saved for cards. it would probably be possible if we store that too, although it would take some time to adjust the deck generator and user interface to support all that. i think it's worthwhile
The problem is that AFAIK, MTG Forge tends to implement cards across the spectrum, so there are not many cards from any specific set.
Marek14
Tester

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 15 Oct 2009, 13:32

By editing the files common.txt, uncommon.txt and rare.txt, you can limit the cards that are selected for generating sealed pools and draft boosters. But yes, because there's only 2000 cards, any given set isn't well represented enough to make for an interesting pool. Limiting the pool to an entire block might be a better idea.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby DennisBergkamp » 15 Oct 2009, 17:10

I'm not sure what these saved decks are though... ( I don't see them in my version ), and I have no clue why they would cause errors (maybe cards are in them that were removed later on?)
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 15 Oct 2009, 19:26

DennisBergkamp wrote:I'm not sure what these saved decks are though... ( I don't see them in my version ), and I have no clue why they would cause errors (maybe cards are in them that were removed later on?)
`
The all-decks2 file that rares includes with the forge google archive contains the various decks that he has put together for this file. A few sealed decks were also included. The OP likely is looking at decks from rares forge google archive.

We renamed several cards in the cards.txt file early this year and decks that contained to old card names can not be loaded into the deck editor or the game. With Silly Freak's new error handler we now get an error message where in the past the deck would simply fail to load and appear.

I think this is what is happening but I could be mistaken. :)
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby mtgrares » 29 Oct 2009, 17:20

hey guys, new user here. first off, thanks to all who made this product possible. i've really been enjoying playing this and manalink the past few days. i just installed the latest beta (10/07) and i have some questions i hope you guys can help me with.
Thanks, I think most of your questions were answered but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

This has to do with sealed deck mode. is there a way to start with a pool with more than 75 cards?
No

Also how are the cards generated?
You get 3 booster packs and the booster packs are generated from the files common.txt, uncommon.txt, and rare.txt which only hold the card names and can be edited using the set editor.

When manually editing common.txt, uncommon.txt, rare.txt you cannot have any blank lines and to use the set editor you have to make sure that the following files are in the same directory: cards.txt, common.txt, uncommon.txt, and rare.txt. I think you have to copy cards.txt so that it will be in the same directory as the other files. (I need to update the set editor because it won't read the card pictures correctly.)

i see there are cards from all different sets old and new from legends to zendikar.
Currently all of the cards that MTG Forge has are all thrown together.

does the program just pick a certain amount of common, uncommon, and rares?
Yes, 10 commons, 3 uncommons, and 1 rare.

is there a way i can tell the program i want 1 starter of unlimited edition, 2 boosters of legends, 1 booster of ice age, and 1 booster of invasion? kind of like in manalink and the microprose version?
No

also, when i go to deck editor, then go to open deck - sealed, i get a list of 5 decks:
1. 000
2. GU-2
3. now
4. now-00
5. now-222
These are other sealed decks that have been made (probably by me). You can delete them by using the deck editor.

Is there a way to group the cards based on what set they are from? and is there a list of all the cards available and what set they belong to?
No, currently the deck editor doesn't show the set that the card came from. (This is one of the many things on the todo list.)
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Return to Forge