It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 00:33

Text Size

Star Wars the Gathering - Is this possible?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Star Wars the Gathering - Is this possible?

Postby McCloud2112 » 25 Oct 2015, 15:40

Hello All, I have been using forge for a few years and love this great program. What this team has created is amazing and I thank everyone involved.

I came across this set that an amateur created. It's a Star Wars tcg game using mtg mechanics and flavor. The cards are genius. I was wondering if it was possible to create this set? I tried messing with code on cards that have the same mechanics....I have no idea what the hell i am doing. Check out this set, as a Star Wars and MTG fan this is a dream come true.lol.

For a new user I can't post the link because it's too spammy. If your interested just google Star Wars the gathering and look for the imgur site. Sorry, I told you I have no idea what I am doing.lol.
McCloud2112

Re: Star Wars the Gathering - Is this possible?

Postby HarbingerBrew » 27 Nov 2015, 10:14

You do know there was a Star Wars TCG back in the day...? However, I can neither program, nor am I going to google the answer. So ultimately I think I trolled myself moreso than you... :( But it has regenerate so we're good, right? :)
Eldrazi Theme... Horror Theme... I'll Lovecraft it to Insanity or Death!
HarbingerBrew

Postby MystREmo » 08 Dec 2015, 11:22

I've seen it before. My friend actually printed these out and created a bunch of his own cards to add to the set.

http://imgur.com/a/4EcK2
Green Elves for Life. Nuff said.
MystREmo

Postby Sirspud » 17 Dec 2015, 19:16

It is possible, but difficult. I have been able to script 27 cards from the set myself over the past few days with no prior experience. There are 12 reprints in the set, so in total I have 39 working cards.

The difficulty comes from the following abilities:
Spaceflight - Basically shadow, but reskinned.
Repair - A replacement version of suspend, except you have to pay the cost to cast it when the counters come off.
Hate - Still working on this one, it was one of the first abilities I tried to make work, now that I've dug into scripting a little more I will take another shot.

Aside from the keyword issue, which I think can't be modified outside of the source code of Forge itself (please can some actual developer weigh in on this), you need to modify the text file for creature types - since almost all creature cards are actual alien races from Star Wars, you need to add the set to the blockdata file, and have a text file with every card in the set and its rarity. And all the card images in the above album need to be renamed to Card Name.full.png, and tokens need to be named color_name_Power_toughness.jpg for their respective token and placed in the proper directory for tokens.

So a lot of little things to do even if someone had working card scripts for every card. I can update with more details if anyone is interested, but otherwise I'm going to keep durdling around with it until Planar Conquest comes out. :D
Sirspud

Postby friarsol » 17 Dec 2015, 20:03

Sirspud wrote:Aside from the keyword issue, which I think can't be modified outside of the source code of Forge itself (please can some actual developer weigh in on this),
That's generally correct. There are some ability keywords that are scriptable, but the engine knows how to interact with certain keywords, and would need modifications to handle some things.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Sirspud » 17 Dec 2015, 20:23

friarsol,

I appreciate your input. Is there any documentation you could recommend for doing something like this, or is it generally not a good idea?
I'm not a developer by trade so messing with the code is still a bit above my head, but I'm eager to learn what would need to be done to make this set a reality, even if it meant tweaking Forge to make it possible.

Thanks,

-SirSpud
Sirspud

Postby Sirspud » 18 Dec 2015, 16:39

New draft of the cube is out from a second party. They changed a lot of cards and fixed some templating errors, but introduced typos. Things seem a little more balanced.
https://imgur.com/gallery/opyKb/new
I'm not sure if I'm going to follow these new cards or continue with what I already have. Some changes are minor, others make a lot of cards much easier to script.
Sirspud

Postby unowen » 21 Sep 2016, 11:17

hi all,
i'm also interested in playing swtg in forge. and i also started to script some of the cards and the new abilities. it would be great if we can make a separate branch for that.

regards
unowen
unowen

Return to Forge