It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:12

Text Size

Bugs, feature request, notes and more

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Bugs, feature request, notes and more

Postby Yeo-Yin » 15 Aug 2016, 23:26

Ok, hello everybody.

I already posted a message, but it was in the wrong section (the general slightlymagic forum). And, before i knew it i got answers to my questions.

So, here is the "old" link, but it's not the point of this topic.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18873

There isn't much interesting in it, except one bug, the first i listed : when you start the software, clean, fresh installation and you try to start a gauntlet with default settings you get an ArrayOutOfBoundsException. The reason is : you try to get a random element from an array
(with a code likely like this : array.get((int) (Math.random() * array.size())))
but it doesn't work for the special case where the array is empty.

I started to wrote my own cards and it's working pretty well for now. But, i found a little bug, and it's also a bug that exists in a real card.
When, on a card, you have both Cycling and Madness, when you look at the Oracle (the displayed text of the card) during a game the text is not ok.
If you look at it when you are not playing it is fine.
For my card i got this :
bug.png

You should only have :
"draw a card. Cycling 2, Dredge 2 madness B"
(with \n between etc).
The whole text starting with "Discard" and ending with the name of the card shouldn't be there.
Especially, there is stuff about exile and none of these ability involve exile.
Maybe it's not a bug but a feature to match specific magic rules i never heard about. Note that the comportment of the card is perfectly ok and Forge doesn't give me the option to exile the card.

To test :
1) start a new game
2) get the card in your hand, either by draw or by adding it to your hand with the dev panel.
3) mouse over the card, you'll see a similar text.

My version of Forge is ... well, i have it for about 15 day.

This is for bugs.

About feature requests ... well, not so much, most things was here, in front of my eyes and i didn't see them.
So, as a dev : force Forge to reload a picture of a card. It's annoying to see a problem in the picture and reload the whole software just to take changes into account.
Of course, but i am sure that a lot of people already ask for something like that : add a card maker into the software. Not for scripts, one already exists and is pretty ok, but for the image. I use Magic Set Editor but it starts to be old and include several annoying things (when you export images they have white round corners, they are small and they have a thick (a full, actually) black border which cause Forge to double it, making a super-thick black border). But it's not that important.

Just for the record : i am working on a different quest mode, more a story mode actually. If you played soul calibur 1 you have the idea, like a very small "book where YOU are the hero". Impersonate a hero, do some heroic victory "à la" 300, follow the path of a hero of ancient time etc. Basically wall of text, pre-defined path and voilà. I am not saying it would be good, not even saying i will finish it, not even saying i will succeed in adding it into Forge. It will be written in Java, using swing and JComponent for rendering, XML for datas (except if you have something better). But the best thing would be something like shandalar in the old magic game. Harder to code, i know.

Now, THE question. As i make cards (custom cards) i try to prepare the terrain for when my brother will want to make his card. So, he has a specific ability and i try to implement it.
So, here is my questions for that :
Is it possible to make a spell like this : "blablabla copy target spell X times" with an arbitrary X ? I.e. is it possible to have something like a "for" loop from 0 to X ?
Is it possible to detect/count card with a custom keyword in it ? I mean : i handle the effect myself but i need to know if a card has a specific keyword, like a tag. For example : count cards with the keyword Foo in a player's hand. Is "strstr" of anything like that available in the card script language ?

Ok, it's late and i have to go.
See you.
Yeo-Yin

Re: Bugs, feature request, notes and more

Postby Yeo-Yin » 16 Aug 2016, 22:20

Today i found an other bug. I found it with "It That Betrays", but i think it's not specifically related to it. Well, i don't know.

"It That Betrays" says roughly : "when an opponent sacrifices a permanent, return it onto the battlefield under you control".
Problem : if I (who has "It That Betrays" under MY control) sacrifice a permanent I control but don't own, the permanent returns onto the battlefield under my control.

I saw that in 2 cases : first the opponent sacrified a creature with islandhome (or something like that. It has the "if you don't control an island, sacrify this creature" ability). Because i didn't have an island, i went in an infinite loop : no island so i sacrify the creature => BUG it that betrays return it under my control => no island so i sacrify the creature etc.
And because i had 2 "It That Betray" under my control at this moment the stack was growing, growing ... I solved that with the dev summoning of a "exile target creature" spell.

Second case : The opponent used Strip Mine ability. So, he sacrified it and i got it's control with It That Betrays. But, i was then able to sacrifice it again and again and clear all lands in the opponent side.

I think that the bug comes from a confusion between the owner and the controller : when a card is sacrified it's put in its owner graveyard (what the game does) and i think that somewhere It That Betrays trigger when a card is sacrified and arrive in the opponent graveyard (assuming that "opponent graveyard"="opponent control")

Hope it helps.
Yeo-Yin

Postby Hanmac » 18 Aug 2016, 08:30

about your own scripted card:
"draw a card. Cycling 2, Dredge 2 madness B"

that "Discard ~: Draw Card" is part of the cycling, thats how Cycling is displayed, discarding is part of the cost.

the Part if exile is part of Madness, but was drawn on the wrong place, that was fixed in trunk.

===
the bug with Sacrifice a card you control but don't own, yeah that was a bug, it was already fixed, in trunk too.

===
as for your own cards, if you want to copy a spell for x times, checkout "Chandra, Pyromaster" with its last ability. instead of "Amount$ 3" you just do "Amount$ X". add X to "References$ X" and use "SVar:X:<something>" where you define how often.

for counting cards with a Keyword:
"Count$Valid Creature.withFoo"
Hanmac

Postby Yeo-Yin » 18 Aug 2016, 22:03

Ok =D>

For the keyword, I doubt that withFoo will work. I am not sure.
I am pretty sure it will work with "withVigilance" or "withHaste", but with withFoo, with the letters w.i.t.h.F.o.o. it will not detect the word "Foo". What i mean is : it will only work with built-in keywords, not with arbitrary word.

And i know that if i want to add a new keyword i will have to modify forge itself, but it's precisely for this reason that i want to count cards with a word : so i don't need to add anything into forge and i can simulate the comportment i want directly into the card.

The ability of my brother is something like "when you play this spell, copy it for every spell with this ability". If i can put an arbitrary flag (invisible) on a card then retrieve the number of card with that flag i'll by able to add the copy part.

But thx for your help a lot, i'll try with "withFoo". Maybe i guessed wrong.

(in the link i also posted a bug with "budoka gardener" : when you use it you have a message in the log saying "var X doesn't exists. Using text" or something like that, even if the ability work).
Yeo-Yin

Postby Yeo-Yin » 20 Aug 2016, 23:59

One more bug : you can't add Provoke as a Kicker ability.
I mean : you can have something like "if CARDNAME was kicked it has Provoke" and copy/past the way it's done in Faerie Squadron for example, it will not work for Provoke. You'll have the text (and the reminder automatically added), but not the effect : when you'll attack nothing special (i.e. Provoke) will happen.

Same thing if you try to have an ability like "{W}: blabla gains Provoke until end of turn". I can post the code of the card i am trying to do, but as the text (and the reminder that I didn't wrote) are shown i think that the software get a bit that the creature is suppose to have Provoke.
I also noticed that the Hunter Sliver (the sliver that give Provoke to every sliver) has a very long card text, including a trigger to detect when a creature attack, display a dialog etc. It seems like it is faking Provoke, so maybe the bug is already known.
Yeo-Yin

Postby Hanmac » 22 Aug 2016, 14:53

"provoke" was not yet converted to better Trigger layout.

since recently it was not possible to give a creature triggers only with a keyword.

now your idea with Kicker -> add Provoke should work.
Hanmac

Postby DonRagout » 20 Sep 2016, 09:12

I think there is a bug with Rooftop Storm and Gisa and Geralf. I think you should be able to cast Zombies for free from your graveyard but you can not.
DonRagout

Postby Hanmac » 21 Sep 2016, 06:42

@DonRagout: what version did you use? Because I thought I have fixed that in Trunk. (Will be fixed in next release)
Hanmac

Postby DonRagout » 22 Sep 2016, 19:26

I am using 1.5.55-r-1
DonRagout

Return to Forge