It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 14:36

Text Size

Where is card info stored beyond cardsfolder.zip?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Where is card info stored beyond cardsfolder.zip?

Postby dannnnv » 01 Jan 2017, 19:51

Inspired by the custom card tutorials, I'm experimenting with coding cards, with the goal of making Yidris, Maelstrom Wielder work.

I've been tinkering with the .txt file in the "Upcoming" folder within cardsfolder.zip, with some success, as I've gotten it to at least show up, but I've run into a baffling problem...

To make testing easier, I've been coding the card's triggers on a modified power/toughness of 10/10 (plus hexproof) so attacking in to get the triggers going would be easier. But here's my problem. I've since changed him back to his normal 5/4, no hexproof, but he's still 10/10 when I cast him.

Where is the game getting this old data? And how do I know if my current code is the one being used, or if the program is storing older data that I already know doesn't work? I've even deleted the card's .txt file and

Any advice is much appreciated, so I can get back to it!
dannnnv

Re: Where is card info stored beyond cardsfolder.zip?

Postby friarsol » 01 Jan 2017, 20:43

Well, I actually just scripted Yidris yesterday, but don't let that get in the way of you trying to learn how to script cards. It's fun to help out during spoiler season when hundreds of new cards show up.

Typically I just have dev mode enabled and cast cards to protect/setup situations rather than bake protective changes into a script.

As far as the old stats issue, there's only two things I can think of: you aren't restarting Forge in between script changes or you have multiple script files and the "wrong" info is overwriting the "right info".

Are you extracting the zip file before adding script files? Or just adding them straight into the zip?

The game doesn't re-store any of this data, it loads it all from these resource files.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby dannnnv » 01 Jan 2017, 23:05

I'm really into learning how it works!

If I can't figure him out, I'll take a look at your Yidris to see what I missed!

Next goal: Figure out how to get into dev mode!

I don't fully extract the zip, but I get the dialogue that it's overwriting, and I have double-checked within the zip, so it's not that. I also reboot Forge each test as well.
dannnnv

Postby friarsol » 02 Jan 2017, 01:09

Game Settings->Preferences

Check the box that says Developer Mode. It's in the Advanced Settings group.

Not really sure about using the beta/snapshots for scripting cards. You could try extracting the whole .zip file, moving the zip away from that folder (so Forge doesn't try to load it in preference of the cardsfolder) and see if that works any better for you.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Return to Forge