It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 10:50

Text Size

Forge Crashing at "Loading Quest."

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Forge Crashing at "Loading Quest."

Postby Steve22 » 12 Sep 2017, 21:38

Description: Trying to start Forge 1.6.2, loads fine until "Loading Quest." Opened fine until 1.6.0, but now even older versions are crashing at the same spot.

RuntimeException | Open
Code: Select all
Forge Version:    1.6.2-r-1
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.12.6 x86_64
Java Version:     1.8.0_144 Oracle Corporation

java.lang.RuntimeException: com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.ConversionException: null : null
---- Debugging information ----
cause-exception     : java.lang.NullPointerException
cause-message       : null
class               : forge.util.ItemPool
required-type       : forge.util.ItemPool
converter-type      : forge.quest.io.QuestDataIO$ItemPoolToXml
path                : /forge.quest.data.QuestData/assets/shopList/booster[4]
line number         : 762
class[1]            : forge.quest.data.QuestAssets
converter-type[1]   : com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.ReflectionConverter
class[2]            : forge.quest.data.QuestData
version             : 1.6.2-r-1
-------------------------------
   at forge.quest.io.QuestDataIO.loadData(QuestDataIO.java:138)
   at forge.control.FControl.initialize(FControl.java:233)
   at forge.view.Main.main(Main.java:51)
Caused by: com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.ConversionException: null : null
---- Debugging information ----
cause-exception     : java.lang.NullPointerException
cause-message       : null
class               : forge.util.ItemPool
required-type       : forge.util.ItemPool
converter-type      : forge.quest.io.QuestDataIO$ItemPoolToXml
path                : /forge.quest.data.QuestData/assets/shopList/booster[4]
line number         : 762
class[1]            : forge.quest.data.QuestAssets
converter-type[1]   : com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.ReflectionConverter
class[2]            : forge.quest.data.QuestData
version             : 1.6.2-r-1
-------------------------------
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshaller.java:79)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:65)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:66)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unmarshallField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:474)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doUnmarshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:406)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unmarshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:257)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshaller.java:72)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceUnmarshaller.java:65)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:66)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unmarshallField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:474)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doUnmarshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:406)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.unmarshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:257)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convert(TreeUnmarshaller.java:72)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.convertAnother(TreeUnmarshaller.java:50)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeUnmarshaller.start(TreeUnmarshaller.java:134)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractTreeMarshallingStrategy.unmarshal(AbstractTreeMarshallingStrategy.java:32)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.unmarshal(XStream.java:1185)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.unmarshal(XStream.java:1169)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.fromXML(XStream.java:1040)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.XStream.fromXML(XStream.java:1031)
   at forge.quest.io.QuestDataIO.loadData(QuestDataIO.java:122)
   ... 2 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
   at forge.item.BoosterPack$1.apply(BoosterPack.java:39)
   at forge.item.BoosterPack$1.apply(BoosterPack.java:36)
   at forge.quest.io.QuestDataIO$ItemPoolToXml.readBooster(QuestDataIO.java:878)
   at forge.quest.io.QuestDataIO$ItemPoolToXml.unmarshal(QuestDataIO.java:846)
   ... 24 more
Steve22

Re: Forge Crashing at "Loading Quest."

Postby Corwin72 » 14 Sep 2017, 12:57

I get this a lot too.
To fix it you will need to go to:
C:\Users\YOUR USER\AppData\Roaming\Forge\quest\saves
Delete the .dat file for your quest.
Then remove the .bak extension from the backup of your quest data.
Then restart Forge.
This will allow you to boot your game.
Corwin72

Postby timmermac » 15 Sep 2017, 12:45

Actually, this doesn't quite look like that error. This looks like something is wrong with how a booster pack is being generated. Have you had any changes made to any other files?
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby Seravy » 17 Sep 2017, 16:26

If I had to guess, you might have an item (booster probably) in the shop for that save that doesn't exist in that version of the game. Load it in whichever version created that booster.
Seravy

Postby Steve22 » 19 Sep 2017, 16:38

Interesting.

I haven't been able to get any old versions to open as well - gone as far back 1.5.56 (which I know for a fact worked at one point) and still getting the same error.

Is there an easier way to just wipe Forge files and start over than navigating to the individual folders? I can't seem to find this quest file on my Mac (the directory that it's supposed to be in doesn't exist, apparently).
Steve22

Postby Fizanko » 19 Sep 2017, 17:35

I remember someone else on mac asked on how to delete his Forge quest and preferences, but he was unable to find the
OSX: <your home directory>/Library/Application Support/Forge/
or
OSX: <your home directory>/Library/Caches/Forge/
Chris H. replied with
From the Finder click on the "Go" menu and select "Home". This will open the window displaying the folders for your user account.

Double click on the folder named "Library".

Double click on the folder named "Application Support".

Find the folder named Forge within the window that just opened and follow the instructions that are provided in an earlier message.
maybe that should help you find those problem files.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby Seravy » 22 Sep 2017, 17:46

Set your forge.profile.properties to point at your preferred folder and you won't need to search for it. I never understood why anyone would want to put anything in some hard to find generic folder like documents or application data. Especially valuable save game data. That stuff belongs to the game's folder, nowhere else.
(and yes, the generic folder being completely different on each operating system makes it even worse)
Seravy

Return to Forge