It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 23:51

Text Size

Draft pick order

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Draft pick order

Postby shteev » 20 Nov 2017, 14:31

How is draft pick order for the AI determined?

By which I mean, I have noticed that cards have a 'Ranking' and that the AI picks low Rankings over high ones; but how are those values determined?

If it's done by committee, how would one get onto such a committee?
shteev

Re: Draft pick order

Postby friarsol » 21 Nov 2017, 03:00

Low rankings are better than high ones. Because the numbers are derived from Card Rank Position / Set Size. The rankings are pulled from different websites that have real players run drafts to gather ranking data.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby shteev » 28 Nov 2017, 00:48

K, thx!

I ask because I'm often surprised by how consistently late I can get really powerful commons like Thrash of Raptors or Sure Strike in Ixalan, or Phantom Monster and Dragon Egg in Iconic Masters...
shteev

Postby shteev » 06 Jan 2018, 09:44

Like, seriously, tho, I shouldn't be getting a powerful colorless card like Pirate's Cutlass on pick 11. Is something wrong? Does Ixalan not have enough data for it?
shteev

Postby friarsol » 06 Jan 2018, 16:11

shteev wrote:Like, seriously, tho, I shouldn't be getting a powerful colorless card like Pirate's Cutlass on pick 11. Is something wrong? Does Ixalan not have enough data for it?
XLN may not have had it's rankings updated since pre-release time. It's not an automated process as part of Forge's release.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Nerdslayer » 21 Dec 2019, 19:32

Sorry to necro, but I added some custom cards to my cube and I'm having trouble getting the AI to pick them. In res\draft there are 3 ranking files, "cube_drafting_rankings" "cube_mtgo_rankings" and "rankings". How is it determined which file is used? Also, if I just put my custom cards at the top as #1 so I don't have to renumber everything, will that work?
Nerdslayer

Postby CptKird » 21 Dec 2019, 19:58

Necroing is black magic, so, it's allowed, I think? ;)

I can definately confirm that editing those ranking files has a huge effect on how Ai draws.

Once I inverted all rankings in that .txt-file for a specific set (LEB) and normal draft was like christmas on each pick, it was ridiculous :mrgreen:

Like second to last draw Demonic Tutor ridiculous. :shock:

Your custom cards need to be added to the editions txt-file of the set you want them to appear in as well, I think.

A spreadsheet tool like Libre Calc/Excel helps quite a bit to sort/change rankings.

And you could always add a custom card to Ais hand using dev mode to see if it's chosen/played correctly.

K.
CptKird

Postby Nerdslayer » 21 Dec 2019, 23:04

Using a spreadsheet to edit it is definitely a good idea. Do you remember where you found the rankings for specific sets? The only rankings I can find are the 3 in the draft folder. Also, do I need to add my custom cards to a set for things to work properly?
Nerdslayer

Postby CptKird » 22 Dec 2019, 00:02

Nerdslayer wrote:Do you remember where you found the rankings for specific sets?
Well, right where you found them already, I edited /res/draft/rankings.txt, #1 representing most valuable pick from that set.

Nerdslayer wrote: Also, do I need to add my custom cards to a set for things to work properly?
I think so, yes.
Experiment away ;)

K.

PS: Also I consider it a given that you have a functioning custom card, with a working ruleset and placed inside /res/cardsfolder into one of the alphabetical sub folders from the unpacked "cardsfolder.zip"?
CptKird

Return to Forge