It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 04:03

Text Size

Bug Report: Copied Planeswalker Cannot Activate Abilities

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Bug Report: Copied Planeswalker Cannot Activate Abilities

Postby Ihtomyt » 30 Dec 2017, 17:18

Tested on version 1.6.4-r-1.

If a token is copied from a planeswalker, the program will not allow that token to activate abilities.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Activate ability of Liquimetal Coating targeting planeswalker Saheeli Rai, causing this card to become an artifact until end of turn.

2. Activate second (-2 loyalty) ability of Saheeli Rai targeting Saheeli Rai to create a token of Saheeli Rai.

3. Select the newly created token of Saheeli Rai as the version of the card to keep when prompted that only one copy can remain in play, thus removing the original and leaving the newly created token in play.

4. Attempt to activate an ability on the newly created token of Saheeli Rai. The program correctly recognizes that the loyalty counters on the newly created token are 3 (at least in terms of what is displayed in the GUI). The program has placed a note on the token indicating that it is cloned from Saheeli Rai, and the token appears identical in every other way to the original card when it was played except for this note and the fact that it is an artifact. However, the program will not allow any abilities of the token Saheeli Rai to be activated.

I have not tested that this is an issue with the Saheeli Rai card in particular, but I would assume not. I would hypothesize that since cloning planeswalkers is not common practice, that the program was not coded such that a token entering as a copy of a planeswalker as having a separate check from it's original to track if it has activated an ability this turn.

I have scoured other forums and Google, and to the best of my knowledge, this behavior is a bug. There are entire threads about how this combination should work, and no one dissenting because of a claim that this is a violation of the rules. If I am in error, I apologize and please direct me to the documentation that explains this.
Ihtomyt

Re: Bug Report: Copied Planeswalker Cannot Activate Abilitie

Postby AtogMaster » 22 Jan 2018, 22:57

I suspect this is not in the right area (should be added to the release post or the appropriate snapshot bugs post). However, I want to second this and add more information. You can't activate Planewalkers that have been returned to your hand and played again. The restriction on Planewalker activation seems to follow cards even when they change zones.
AtogMaster

Return to Forge