It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 09:10

Text Size

SOLVED: java 8 portable (windows)

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

SOLVED: java 8 portable (windows)

Postby travolter » 06 Mar 2018, 19:41

Hi sorry for this offtopic post.. but I´ve spent the last two days trying to run forge but I cannt since I cannt install java8 on my windows machine (a windows7 heavily stripped).

I use java apps daily that requires java6 using a portable java6 launcher, but Im unable to find a working java8 portable to try forge and check how it performs. Portableapps has a tool named jportable but the .paf doest not work anymore since the server where this paf have to download the core files is down... and I cannt find other solution or preinstalled java8 portable to run forge.

Plz if anyone has a java8 launcher and have a fast connection to upload somewhere would be really helpful.

Thanks for your patience reading this..
Last edited by travolter on 09 Mar 2018, 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
travolter

Re: needed java 8 portable (windows)

Postby timmermac » 07 Mar 2018, 02:15

I'm not sure about your request, but I do have an alternate way to run Forge. If you have a newer Android phone with a decent amount of RAM and storage space, there is an Android version that runs well on phones with 4 GB of RAM.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Re: needed java 8 portable (windows)

Postby travolter » 07 Mar 2018, 22:04

basically I cannot install java8 in my windows so I need a portable java launcher. You have the java files unpacked in a directory and just dragging and dropping the forge.exe into the launcher.. the java enviroment loads.

Other option would be a forge with java integrated (for windows).
I dont know if someone uses something like this.. but Im sure that many of you dont install java to avoid problems while browsing internet.
travolter

Re: SOLVED: java 8 portable (windows)

Postby travolter » 09 Mar 2018, 19:29

solved: Ill post procedure if someone interested

1) download jPortable_8_Update_161_online.paf.exe
2) run it. If the java download fails (my case) just download manually jre-8u161-windows-i586.tar.gz and place in same directory as jPortable_8_Update_161_online.paf.exe and run jPortable_8_Update_161_online.paf.exe again.
3) download JavaPortableLauncher_4.0.paf.exe
4) run it.

Finally .. a JavaPortableLauncher folder is created. Now enter into this folder and VERY IMPORTANT:
1)Drag the .jar file over the JavaPortableLauncher.exe to run the java program.

things that do not work:
1)If you drag an exe file over it will not work.
2)If you double click JavaPortableLauncher.exe and point to the .jar file that you want to run doesnot work.
3)do not rename/move the folders of this java portable to other place or it will not work.
travolter

Return to Forge