It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 21:18

Text Size

Puzzle Solutions

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Puzzle Solutions

Postby Lapdog » 06 Aug 2018, 23:48

Can we post any and all solutions to the puzzles in this thread? I'm having trouble with a few.
Lapdog

Re: Puzzle Solutions

Postby Ikeda » 22 Aug 2018, 12:22

It turns out that the solutions to the three tutorial puzzles haven't yet been posted anywhere on these boards, so I've noted these below.

Tutorial 1: Bypass Operation | Open
The only means of evasion you have on the table is Protection. Between Silver Knight and Knight of Dawn, the Knight of Dawn is the most likely means of breaking through your opponent's defense because it can give itself protection from multiple colors.

Unfortunately, you only have four Plains available - which means that Knight of Dawn can only give itself protection from two colors. With your opponent at 5 life, it's logical that you want to dump Unstable Mutation on the Knight of Dawn and make it a 5/5 creature... which means that you don't want to give it protection from blue. You therefore need to use its ability to give itself protection from red and green, then find a way to prevent your opponent's two blue creatures from being able to block.

1. Tap all ten of your lands to add WWWWUUUUUC to your mana pool.
2. Pay WW (WWUUUUUC remaining) to activate Knight of Dawn, giving itself protection from red.
3. Pay WW (UUUUUC remaining) to activate Knight of Dawn, giving itself protection from green.
4. Pay U (UUUUC remaining) to cast Unstable Mutation on Knight of Dawn; it's now a 5/5 creature with first strike, and protection from red and green.
5. Pay U (UUUC remaining) and tap Vedalken Mastermind to activate it, returning Crumbling Vestige to your hand.
6. Play Crumbling Vestige, which enters the battlefield tapped. It's ability triggers - choose to add R to your mana pool (UUUCR remaining).
7. Pay UUUCR (no mana remaining) to cast a fused Turn // Burn for both abilities - change Steamcore Weird into a 0/1 red creature, and deal 2 damage to Willbender (killing it).
8. Attack with your 5/5 Knight of Dawn. All of your opponent's remaining creatures are either red or green, so the Knight gets through for 5 damage.

Tutorial 2: Background Count | Open
Assuming that you use the Llanowar Druid's ability, you can produce a maximum of five white mana and seven green mana. The cards in your hand will cost you a total of six mana (2GWWW) to cast, so assuming that you cast everything in your hand, you'll have six mana remaining with which to use with Waker of the Wilds.

With six mana, you could activate Waker of the Wilds once, for a 3/3 creature (animating your remaining untapped land). However, this won't give you any headway against your opponent - your opponent has too much toughness on the ground, and it's too small for the Gustrider Exuberant's ability. The alternative, though, is to go smaller: You could even use this six mana to activate Waker of the Wilds three times, making three of your lands 0/0 creatures and putting them in the graveyard.

This latter alternative is a possibility because of one consideration: the Cleansing Meditation in your hand has an additional ability if you have seven cards in your graveyard. And if you can turn this additional ability "on", you can use Fists of Ironwood to pump your Herd Gnarr beyond your opponent's ability to block it:

1. Tap all eight of your lands (with Wild Growth triggering) to add WWWWWGGGG to your mana pool.
2. Pay W (WWWWGGGG) to cast Guilty Conscience on Llanowar Druid.
3. Tap and sacrifice Llanowar Druid to untap all of your Forests. You now have two cards in your graveyard (Llanowar Druid, Guilty Conscience)
4. Tap your three Forests to add GGG to your mana pool (WWWWGGGGGGG remaining).
5. Pay WG (WWWGGGGGG remaining) to cast Fists of Ironwood on Herd Gnarr; it's now a 2/2 creature with trample.
6. Fists of Ironwood triggers and creates two 1/1 Saproling tokens.
7. Herd Gnarr triggers twice for a total of +4/+4; it's now a 6/6 creature with trample.
8. Sacrifice Gustrider Exuberant to give flying to all your creatures with power 5 or greater; Herd Gnarr is now a 6/6 creature with trample and flying. You now have three cards in your graveyard (Llanowar Druid, Guilty Conscience, Gustrider Exuberant).
9. Pay GG (WWWGGGG remaining) to activate Waker fo the Wilds for X=0, targeting your Plains enchanted with Wild Growth. The Plains becomes a 0/0 creature and dies. You now have five cards in your graveyard (Llanowar Druid, Guilty Conscience, Gustrider Exuberant, Plains, Wild Growth).
10. Pay GG (WWWGG remaining) to activate Waker fo the Wilds for X=0, targeting one of your Plains (although you can target any land you control here). The Plains becomes a 0/0 creature and dies. You now have six cards in your graveyard (Llanowar Druid, Guilty Conscience, Gustrider Exuberant, Plains, Wild Growth, Plains).
10. Pay GG (WWW remaining) to activate Waker fo the Wilds for X=0, targeting one of your Plains (although you can target any land you control here). The Plains becomes a 0/0 creature and dies. You now have seven cards in your graveyard (Llanowar Druid, Guilty Conscience, Gustrider Exuberant, Plains, Wild Growth, Plains, Plains).
11. Pay WWW (no mana remaining) to cast Cleansing Meditation. Because you have seven cards in your graveyard, this destroys Fists of Ironwood and returns it to the battlefield - choose to attach it to Herd Gnarr once more. This also destroys your opponent's Grim Guardian.
12. Fists of Ironwood triggers and creates two 1/1 Saproling tokens.
13. Herd Gnarr triggers twice for a total of +4/+4; it's now a 10/10 creature with trample and flying.
14. Attack with your 10/10 Herd Gnarr. Even if your opponent blocks this with their Augury Owl and their Seacoast Drake, you'll have 6 damage trample through for the win.

Tutorial 3: Out of Place | Open
The purpose of the Abyssal Nocturnus is to provide a method of evasion: If you can get a card into your opponent's hand and force them to discard it, you can attack with the Nocturnus for 4 damage.

Without any effects on your opponent's side that can target your creatures, the only purpose of the Lightning Greaves is to give one of your creatures haste. This explains the Undying Evil in your hand - you want to cast it on one of your creatures, kill that creature, return it to the battlefield, then give it haste for some reason. The only creature that makes sense as a target for this move is the Cinderhaze Wretch, since its ability forces your opponent to discard a card.

The only thing that remains, then, is to find a way to kill the Cinderhaze Wretch:

1. Tap your lands to add BBBB to your mana pool.
2. Pay B (BBB remaining) to cast Undying Evil on your Cinderhaze Wretch; it's now a 3/2 creature with undying.
3. Put a -1/-1 counter on Cinderhaze Wretch to activate its second ability; it's now a 2/1 creature with undying.
4. Put a -1/-1 counter on Cinderhaze Wretch to activate its second ability; it's now a 1/0 creature with undying, and dies.
5. Cinderhaze Wretch's undying ability triggers, and it returns to play with a +1/+1 counter. It's now a 4/3 creature.
6. Pay BBB (no mana remaining) to equip Viridian Longbow to Cinderhaze Wretch.
7. Pay 0 (BBB remaining) to equip Lightning Greaves to Cinderhaze Wretch; it's now a 4/3 creature with haste.
8. Tap Cinderhaze Wretch for Viridian Longbow's ability, dealing 1 damage to Mesmeric Fiend and killing it.
9. Mesmeric Fiend triggers and returns its exiled card (a Wall of Omens) to your opponent's hand.
10. Put a -1/-1 counter on Cinderhaze Wretch to activate its second ability (which makes it lose its +1/+1 counter); it untaps and is now a 3/2 creature.
11. Tap Cinderhaze Wretch to activate its first ability and force your opponent to discard a card. Your opponent discards the Wall of Omens in their hand.
12. Abyssal Nocturnus triggers and becomes a 4/4 creature with fear.
13. Attack with Abyssal Nocturnus. Your opponent can't block it, and takes 4 damage. Your opponent is now at 1 life.
14. Put a -1/-1 counter on Cinderhaze Wretch to activate its second ability; it untaps and is now a 2/1 creature.
15. Tap Cinderhaze Wretch for Viridian Longbow's ability, dealing the final 1 damage to your opponent.

Note that it's necessary for Cinderhaze Wretch to have a +1/+1 counter, or otherwise it'll die to the second -1/-1 counter before you can ping your opponent for the final 1 damage.
Last edited by Ikeda on 04 Nov 2019, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Ikeda

Postby zefir » 26 Oct 2019, 21:36

Ikeda wrote:
The purpose of the Abyssal Nocturnus is to provide a method of evasion: If you can get a card into your opponent's hand and force them to discard it, you can attack with the Nocturnus for 4 damage.

Without any effects on your opponent's side that can target your creatures, the only purpose of the Lightning Greaves is to give one of your creatures haste. This explains the Undying Evil in your hand - you want to cast it on one of your creatures, kill that creature, return it to the battlefield, then give it haste for some reason. The only creature that makes sense as a target for this move is the Cinderhaze Wretch, since its ability forces your opponent to discard a card.

The only thing that remains, then, is to find a way to kill the Cinderhaze Wretch:

2. Pay B (BBB remaining) to cast Undying Evil on your Cinderhaze Wretch; it's now a 3/2 creature with undying.
3. Put a -1/-1 counter on Cinderhaze Wretch to activate its second ability; it's now a 2/1 creature with undying.
4. Put a -1/-1 counter on Cinderhaze Wretch to activate its second ability; it's now a 1/0 creature with undying, and dies.
5. Cinderhaze Wretch's undying ability triggers, and it returns to play with a +1/+1 counter. It's now a 4/3 creature.
6. Pay 0 (BBB remaining) to equip Lightning Greaves to Cinderhaze Wretch; it's now a 4/3 creature with haste.
7. Pay BBB (no mana remaining) to equip Viridian Longbow to Cinderhaze Wretch.
8. Tap Cinderhaze Wretch for Viridian Longbow's ability, dealing 1 damage to Mesmeric Fiend and killing it.
9. Mesmeric Fiend triggers and returns its exiled card (a Wall of Omens) to your opponent's hand.
10. Put a -1/-1 counter on Cinderhaze Wretch to activate its second ability (which makes it lose its +1/+1 counter); it untaps and is now a 3/2 creature.
11. Tap Cinderhaze Wretch to activate its first ability and force your opponent to discard a card. Your opponent discards the Wall of Omens in their hand.
13. Attack with Abyssal Nocturnus. Your opponent can't block it, and takes 4 damage. Your opponent is now at 1 life.
14. Put a -1/-1 counter on Cinderhaze Wretch to activate its second ability; it untaps and is now a 2/1 creature.
15. Tap Cinderhaze Wretch for Viridian Longbow's ability, dealing the final 1 damage to your opponent.

Note that it's necessary for Cinderhaze Wretch to have a +1/+1 counter, or otherwise it'll die to the second -1/-1 counter before you can ping your opponent for the final 1 damage.

I compiled forge from sources (1.6.30-SNAPSHOT@90b72fc11e579) and the proposed solution does not work, since I can't apply step 7: Viridian Longbow can't be targeted at Cinderhaze Wretch, only Mesmeric Fiend and Abyssal Nocturnus show up as valid targets. Trying to attach it to Cinderhaze Wretch gives a 'The selected card is not a valid choice to be targeted' error.

I don't see any rule for this limitation, so this must be a bug in master.
zefir

Postby Hanmac » 27 Oct 2019, 12:55

zefir wrote:
Ikeda wrote:

6. Pay 0 (BBB remaining) to equip Lightning Greaves to Cinderhaze Wretch; it's now a 4/3 creature with haste.
7. Pay BBB (no mana remaining) to equip Viridian Longbow to Cinderhaze Wretch.

I compiled forge from sources (1.6.30-SNAPSHOT@90b72fc11e579) and the proposed solution does not work, since I can't apply step 7: Viridian Longbow can't be targeted at Cinderhaze Wretch, only Mesmeric Fiend and Abyssal Nocturnus show up as valid targets. Trying to attach it to Cinderhaze Wretch gives a 'The selected card is not a valid choice to be targeted' error.

I don't see any rule for this limitation, so this must be a bug in master.
6 and 7 are in wrong order
The Boots gives Shroud
With that it can't be the Target of abilities. That includes Equip
Hanmac

Postby Ikeda » 04 Nov 2019, 10:09

Hanmac wrote:6 and 7 are in wrong order
The Boots gives Shroud
With that it can't be the Target of abilities. That includes Equip
So they are; well spotted. I've edited the solutions to reflect this.
Ikeda

Postby hiemsop » 03 Jan 2022, 20:28

Hi. Could anyone send me a link to what puzzles you're solving? These three tutorials seem pretty attractive. I'm not the most experienced individual in this sphere, but I'm a little addicted to computer games, and I have to change my hobbies. My mother came from Australia and brought me a new puzzle, but I don't think it's my genre. They are rather suitable for my sister. They are designed to relax your mind and highlight the works of emerging and established artists worldwide. I'd instead try your ones. It better fits me. I'd be thankful for some links where I could find them.
hiemsop

Postby casder » 19 Jan 2022, 16:15

I'm having the same issue. Anyone has found the solutions?
casder

Postby farstud » 19 Jan 2022, 16:17

Heya! I've been playing these jigsaw puzzles online for a long time now, and I never get tired of them!
farstud

Postby alicebobby » 21 Nov 2023, 07:47

Hi there! Despite the length of time I've spent playing these jigsaw puzzles online, I never grow weary of them!
alicebobby

Postby polinkuer12 » 02 Jan 2024, 07:17

Actually, I always find jigsaw puzzles very appealing. I like the way it challenges the player
polinkuer12

Return to Forge