It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 23:56

Text Size

Forge for Android v1.6.53.001

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Forge for Android v1.6.39.001

Postby lindleya1 » 25 Mar 2021, 17:57

kevlahnota wrote:
darkPrince010 wrote:Hi everyone. I've also been experiencing the lag issue for card images, including when just viewing multiple decks in succession, and the game freezes entirely if I try and view the card catalog. It seems to be an issue from the latest updates in the past 6 months or so, since before that I never saw any lag on my Pixel 3 unless it was resolving an absurd number of attacks or triggers on the stack.

Attached is the log from it crashing when I attempted to view the 4th commander deck in a row, to see if previewing the cards before playing could avoid a mid-game crash.

Huge thanks for whatever solutions you suggest, as I've been missing not being able to bot draft Kaldheim!
I looked at your log and you are using Android 11 which use Scoped Storage, and its very slow on file access. I don't know how to bypass this limitation for Android 11 currently. I use Android 10 and I have the same performance from 1.6.36 up to 1.6.40 snapshots.
Yeah, I don't use card images on android, both to save on space and because of this.
lindleya1

Postby darkPrince010 » 25 Mar 2021, 21:55

It looks like the Android site (https://developer.android.com/about/ver ... cy/storage) has a way of turning off Scoped Storage:

To enable scoped storage in your app, regardless of your app's target SDK version and manifest flag values, enable the following app compatibility flags:

DEFAULT_SCOPED_STORAGE (enabled for all apps by default)
FORCE_ENABLE_SCOPED_STORAGE (disabled for all apps by default)

To disable scoped storage and use the legacy storage model instead, unset both flags.
I don't know how to or even if I can modify that in the raw apk, but would it be possible to have this added to the next apk release so it's still playable with card images on Android 11?
darkPrince010

Postby kevlahnota » 26 Mar 2021, 00:17

darkPrince010 wrote:It looks like the Android site (https://developer.android.com/about/ver ... cy/storage) has a way of turning off Scoped Storage:

To enable scoped storage in your app, regardless of your app's target SDK version and manifest flag values, enable the following app compatibility flags:

To disable scoped storage and use the legacy storage model instead, unset both flags.
I don't know how to or even if I can modify that in the raw apk, but would it be possible to have this added to the next apk release so it's still playable with card images on Android 11?
I think Android 11 and future Android versions mandatory enforces Scoped Storage, so the flags wouldn't do anything I think. If it's easy to disable it, It would be already added.
kevlahnota
Programmer

Postby Yielord » 26 Mar 2021, 15:31

Hi guys!

would like to know when Ranar will be available?
Yielord

Postby darkPrince010 » 27 Mar 2021, 09:37

kevlahnota wrote:
darkPrince010 wrote:It looks like the Android site (https://developer.android.com/about/ver ... cy/storage) has a way of turning off Scoped Storage:

I think Android 11 and future Android versions mandatory enforces Scoped Storage, so the flags wouldn't do anything I think. If it's easy to disable it, It would be already added.
Dang. I guess Forge on Android is no longer usable even with card images turned off, as I can't make a deck since it freezes when it tries to load the catalog. :(
darkPrince010

Postby Motogi » 28 Mar 2021, 10:47

Hello everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank you all for your dedication and the amazing work you are doing with the awesome Forge program! Keep up the good work!

Unfortunately, I encountered a problem recently with Forge:
The latest Android release does not work properly on my phone. Forge always crashes right after startup.
I have tried everything: the latest 1.6.39.001 release, the latest 1.6.40 snapshot, simple install, uninstall + reinstall. All failed.

Here are the specs for my system:
Android 6.0.1
Samsung SM-A300FU
RAM 1384MB

Here is the log file:
| Open
(ThreadUtil first call): Running on a machine with 4 cpu core(s)
(HTTPLog)-Static: isSBSettingEnabled false
Forge v.1.6.39.001 (forge.GuiMobile@267a783)
Samsung SM-A300FU (RAM: 1384MB, Android 6.0.1 API Level 23)
Language 'java.util.PropertyResourceBundle@20a9939' loaded successfully.
Read cards: 21160 archived files in 16516 ms (25 parts) using thread pool
Read cards: 450 files in 229 ms (4 parts) using thread pool
Error reading translation file: /storage/emulated/0/Forge/res/languages/cardnames-en-US.txt

I have also tried older releases today like 1.6.36.001 and 1.6.38.001 with no success. Forge worked properly on my phone until last week. I was using an older snapshot from three months ago then, without any problem.

Could you please have a look to the log file and see how this problem can be solved? In the meantime, I would be more than happy if you could just provide me with the older snapshot I mentioned or an equivalent from three months ago approximately, as this was working properly for me.

Many many thanks in advance for your time and work!

Kind regards,
Motogi
Motogi

Postby boppan1 » 01 Apr 2021, 18:09

Hello,

I am experiencing some problems with forge for Android. It won't load the images for certain sets although I have the images with the correct names on the the right directory. Can anybody please advise on how I can fix this?
boppan1

Postby kevlahnota » 23 Apr 2021, 02:35

darkPrince010 wrote:Dang. I guess Forge on Android is no longer usable even with card images turned off, as I can't make a deck since it freezes when it tries to load the catalog. :(
I added an option for Forge 1.6.40.210423 SNAPSHOTS to use the obb folder as an alternate assets directory. Read here for the guide: https://git.cardforge.org/core-develope ... uests/4579
kevlahnota
Programmer

Postby Diogenes » 23 Apr 2021, 15:55

kevlahnota wrote:
darkPrince010 wrote:I added an option for Forge 1.6.40.210423 SNAPSHOTS to use the obb folder as an alternate assets directory. Read here for the guide: https://git.cardforge.org/core-develope ... uests/4579
It's awesome of you to find and post a workaround so quickly, thanks kevlahnota!

I just upgraded my phone and am new to Android 11 entirely (I was several revisions behind.) I was just about to complete my installation of Forge with images, settings, and content when I caught this thread, so I'm at the perfect step to pause and take care of this. That said, I'm not a power Android user and I'm left with some questions. At this point there are concrete steps to address the issue, so it's mostly for curiosity's sake, but I'd appreciate a deeper understanding of what's going on from anyone who'd care to answer.

First off, regarding the slowdown issue: What is it about the scoped storage implementation that degrades performance so badly? Is there some kind of a request for permission to read each and every file outside the application folder that causes it?

Regarding the solution, let me make sure I understand what's happening.

1. The user begins with an installation of Forge on their device (or a premade backup,) copies the entire directory structure from the Forge directory found in root to somewhere else, then deletes the original directory (is manual deletion or using the uninstall tool preferred?)

2. The user creates an empty file named "obbforge" (no extension) in the root directory of their integrated storage. This somehow convinces Android that Forge uses obb files, and permits the creation of a subdirectory in the place where obbs normally live (eg /0/Android/obb/forge.app)

3. The user copies the backup created in step one to the newly created Android/obb/forge.app directory. Android recognizes Forge as installed with no further input from the user. Files and images installed within this app-specific directory don't suffer the slow access they would elsewhere.

Is that about right? I'm guessing it's not possible at the moment to create a second obb folder on an sd card to store images off the integrated storage?

Anyway, sorry for the barrage and thanks for the help!
Diogenes

Postby kevlahnota » 24 Apr 2021, 02:16

Diogenes wrote:It's awesome of you to find and post a workaround so quickly, thanks kevlahnota!

I just upgraded my phone and am new to Android 11 entirely (I was several revisions behind.) I was just about to complete my installation of Forge with images, settings, and content when I caught this thread, so I'm at the perfect step to pause and take care of this. That said, I'm not a power Android user and I'm left with some questions. At this point there are concrete steps to address the issue, so it's mostly for curiosity's sake, but I'd appreciate a deeper understanding of what's going on from anyone who'd care to answer.

First off, regarding the slowdown issue: What is it about the scoped storage implementation that degrades performance so badly? Is there some kind of a request for permission to read each and every file outside the application folder that causes it?

Regarding the solution, let me make sure I understand what's happening.

1. The user begins with an installation of Forge on their device (or a premade backup,) copies the entire directory structure from the Forge directory found in root to somewhere else, then deletes the original directory (is manual deletion or using the uninstall tool preferred?)

2. The user creates an empty file named "obbforge" (no extension) in the root directory of their integrated storage. This somehow convinces Android that Forge uses obb files, and permits the creation of a subdirectory in the place where obbs normally live (eg /0/Android/obb/forge.app)

3. The user copies the backup created in step one to the newly created Android/obb/forge.app directory. Android recognizes Forge as installed with no further input from the user. Files and images installed within this app-specific directory don't suffer the slow access they would elsewhere.

Is that about right? I'm guessing it's not possible at the moment to create a second obb folder on an sd card to store images off the integrated storage?

Anyway, sorry for the barrage and thanks for the help!
Scoped Storage is a file access restriction that's why it degrades performance if the app try to access files that does not belong to its "scope".

You can read scoped storage issues here: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues? ... age%20slow

Even if you have all file access permission, you will not get full storage performance on folders that is not within the app scope. The solution for performance is to use app-specific directory (unrestricted access).

On my current device with Android 11, I keep my Forge folder (on internal storage) as a backup. I copy it to Android/obb/forge.app (using file manager with permission to install unknown app), make a obbforge file on the root directory of internal storage (using text editor), and install the new Forge snapshots.
kevlahnota
Programmer

Re: Forge for Android v1.6.40.001

Postby Agetian » 24 Apr 2021, 05:55

UPDATE (04/24/21): Forge for Android v1.6.40.001 has been released. It's a version based on the 1.6.40 release of Forge and it features all the feature updates and new cards from the desktop release, including Strixhaven and Commander 2021. Enjoy!

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby SylvanWannabe » 24 Apr 2021, 07:02

Flagbearers, woot!
Zurzoth fixed, double-woot!!!
Thank you!!!
SylvanWannabe

Postby Finnical » 24 Apr 2021, 14:54

Thanks for the update! Starting a new planar run! Akim seems cool.
Finnical

Postby atar » 25 Apr 2021, 18:18

First of all kudos for your awesome job updating this wonderfull app! You deserve donations!

Secondly, I just downloaded the recent updated forge version. I would like to report a bug:

When immortal coil's activated ability (lose the game if you cant remove a card from the graveyard)
triggers, the game freezes.

I am playing a donate deck and the above bug consistently happened 3 times in the row.

Thank you so much!

Keep up your great job!
atar

Postby Motogi » 29 Apr 2021, 09:36

Thank you so much to all of you for this latest update! You all do a fantastic work!

I tried to install this latest v1.6.40.001 release. The install works but unfortunately the app freezes during downloading resource files (at 100% progress).

Here are the specs for my system:
Android 6.0.1
Samsung SM-A300FU
RAM 1384MB

Here is the log file:
| Open
could not load default card image
(ThreadUtil first call): Running on a machine with 4 cpu core(s)

Thank you very much in advance for your time! Keep up your great work!
Motogi

PreviousNext

Return to Forge