It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 06:35

Text Size

Forge for Android v1.6.53.001

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Forge for Android v1.6.40.001

Postby Motogi » 22 May 2021, 17:18

Voda wrote:I'm facing similar issues as others stated recently - the app just crashes at the end of loading (before the main menu appears) and forge.log doesn't show anything. I'm on a 2GB ram phone and Forge used to work perfectly in the past. I took the time to pinpoint the version where it started to not work anymore for me. Up until 1.6.29.001, the game runs without a problem. It is from version 1.6.30.001 on that I started having problem launching the app.

From the changelog (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29077) the major change would be the "fancy looking UI stuff". It results in a larger .apk (6.8 Mo compared to 5.7 Mo for 1.6.29). But most importantly it seems to have made the app unusable from that point on for those with older phones.

If someone whose experiencing crashes with a <3GB ram could try this it would be helpful (@Motogi @krevett) :
https://releases.cardforge.org/forge/fo ... ligned.apk -> should work
https://releases.cardforge.org/forge/fo ... ligned.apk -> should not work

I have never seen those fancy looking UI stuff since I've not been able to run forge after they've been added, but would it be possible to have the ability to deactivate them ? (if it is confirmed they are the one causing the issue for us, it might be a desktop only addition) Maybe other changes are responsible.

EDIT : I realize that it might be that 1.6.30 doesn't work for me because of the bug while searching for an update. 1.6.29 seems to be the last version I'm able to test because it doesn't get blocked on the "looking for update" step.
That is very interesting stuff. Thank you for looking into it. I just tested these two releases as you suggested. 1.6.30 doesn't work because of the bug while searching for an update. 1.6.29 works perfectly. I hope this helps to investigate the issue.
Motogi

Postby Motogi » 22 May 2021, 20:13

kevlahnota wrote:
Voda wrote:I'm facing similar issues as others stated recently - the app just crashes at the end of loading (before the main menu appears) and forge.log doesn't show anything. I'm on a 2GB ram phone and Forge used to work perfectly in the past. I took the time to pinpoint the version where it started to not work anymore for me. Up until 1.6.29.001, the game runs without a problem. It is from version 1.6.30.001 on that I started having problem launching the app.

From the changelog (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29077) the major change would be the "fancy looking UI stuff". It results in a larger .apk (6.8 Mo compared to 5.7 Mo for 1.6.29). But most importantly it seems to have made the app unusable from that point on for those with older phones.

If someone whose experiencing crashes with a <3GB ram could try this it would be helpful (@Motogi @krevett) :
https://releases.cardforge.org/forge/fo ... ligned.apk -> should work
https://releases.cardforge.org/forge/fo ... ligned.apk -> should not work

I have never seen those fancy looking UI stuff since I've not been able to run forge after they've been added, but would it be possible to have the ability to deactivate them ? (if it is confirmed they are the one causing the issue for us, it might be a desktop only addition) Maybe other changes are responsible.

EDIT : I realize that it might be that 1.6.30 doesn't work for me because of the bug while searching for an update. 1.6.29 seems to be the last version I'm able to test because it doesn't get blocked on the "looking for update" step.
I just pushed a new Forge Snapshots (1.6.41.210521) that disables loading of HD Textures (Skins/Themes) for devices with 5GB RAM or less, don't know if it works for you: https://downloads.cardforge.org/dailysnapshots/

The increase in size of Forge apk is the inclusion of ARM64 bit libraries for LibGDX and other dependency updates.
Dear kevlahnota, I want to express my gratitude to you for investigating this issue for all users of older phones. Your work and your time are very much appreciated!

So I just tried the latest snapshot (1.6.41.210522). Unfortunately it doesn't work on my device as Forge crashes right after finishing startup, similarly to the description I made in a previous post on May 4th (I use a Galaxy A3 with Android 6.0.1 and 1.5 GB RAM). For information the last version of Forge that worked properly on my phone was a snapshot from last December.

I did not try the exact snapshot you mentioned (1.6.41.210521) because I missed it by a day. Is it still available somewhere? I am not sure whether the last two snapshots differ a lot and whether a different result can be expected.

Is there another feature that could still be disabled on older phones with only 1.5 GB RAM to make Forge work properly as it did just five months ago? Thank you very much in advance!
Motogi

Postby kevlahnota » 25 May 2021, 08:04

Motogi wrote:Dear kevlahnota, I want to express my gratitude to you for investigating this issue for all users of older phones. Your work and your time are very much appreciated!

So I just tried the latest snapshot (1.6.41.210522). Unfortunately it doesn't work on my device as Forge crashes right after finishing startup, similarly to the description I made in a previous post on May 4th (I use a Galaxy A3 with Android 6.0.1 and 1.5 GB RAM). For information the last version of Forge that worked properly on my phone was a snapshot from last December.

I did not try the exact snapshot you mentioned (1.6.41.210521) because I missed it by a day. Is it still available somewhere? I am not sure whether the last two snapshots differ a lot and whether a different result can be expected.

Is there another feature that could still be disabled on older phones with only 1.5 GB RAM to make Forge work properly as it did just five months ago? Thank you very much in advance!
I pushed a new Forge Snapshots (1.6.41.210525), it further saves memory on not preloading itempool for use in Deck Editor. I tested it on Lenovo A7000/K3 Note with 2GB RAM, Android 6, it works but it's not ideal and using the Deck Editor and/or using card images will force the system to force close the app if it eats more RAM.. I suggest you upgrade to at least 6GB - 8GB RAM and Snapdragon midrange processor on Android (Snapdragon 690/Snapdragon 750g) or higher, don't get an entry level chip if you plan to upgrade...
Screenshot Forge Snaps on 2GB.jpg
kevlahnota
Programmer

Postby Voda » 26 May 2021, 23:32

Hey kevlahnota, thank you so much for your efforts toward making the app compatible for our devices ! I tried the latest snapshot (1.6.41.210525), but unfortunately it looks like it still doesn't cut it for me. Forge closed at the end of starting up. Log displays a small error :
"Error reading matrix data: java.io.IOException: Card Stone-Throwing Devils not found"

but I doubt it would prevent the game from loading. Unless card not being able to be loaded is a possible cause for crashes, most likely the fault still resides in my crappy ram capacity.
Voda

Postby Motogi » 01 Jun 2021, 13:11

kevlahnota wrote:
Motogi wrote:Dear kevlahnota, I want to express my gratitude to you for investigating this issue for all users of older phones. Your work and your time are very much appreciated!

I pushed a new Forge Snapshots (1.6.41.210525), it further saves memory on not preloading itempool for use in Deck Editor. I tested it on Lenovo A7000/K3 Note with 2GB RAM, Android 6, it works but it's not ideal and using the Deck Editor and/or using card images will force the system to force close the app if it eats more RAM.. I suggest you upgrade to at least 6GB - 8GB RAM and Snapdragon midrange processor on Android (Snapdragon 690/Snapdragon 750g) or higher, don't get an entry level chip if you plan to upgrade...
Hi kevlahnota,
That's awesome! Thank you very much for your efforts!
I missed that new snapshot you made (1.6.41.210525) as I have been very busy elsewhere for several days. Is it still available so that I can try it on my device? Or is it basically the same thing if I use the latest snapshot (i.e. today would be snapshot 1.6.41.210601)?
Many thanks from me!
Motogi

Postby kevlahnota » 02 Jun 2021, 04:50

Motogi wrote:
kevlahnota wrote:

Hi kevlahnota,
That's awesome! Thank you very much for your efforts!
I missed that new snapshot you made (1.6.41.210525) as I have been very busy elsewhere for several days. Is it still available so that I can try it on my device? Or is it basically the same thing if I use the latest snapshot (i.e. today would be snapshot 1.6.41.210601)?
Many thanks from me!
The memory saving feature for less than 4GB RAM is included from 1.6.41.210525 and future snapshots. On my tests here, devices with 2GB RAM on Android 6 work (Lenovo K3 Note/A7000), on another device with 2GB RAM on Android 8 (Huawei Y6 2018) it failed to continue. So if you have Android 8 and above, 4GB RAM and higher would be better.
kevlahnota
Programmer

Postby BBQDuck » 04 Jun 2021, 17:46

Loading card art slows game to 2FPS.

Pixel 1 android 10, 3.9GB Memory.

After updating, to save space I swapped to card pictures instead of set pictures. Now whenever I load into a match, the game essentially freezes as it tanks to 2FPS. Disabling card art in the settings does NOT fix the problem. So far the only fix I've found is to RENAME the card art folder. It seems that the game is looking for the card art (in a very slow way) even when it is told not to use any. Is there a known fix?
BBQDuck

Postby zeromasterk » 11 Jun 2021, 19:20

Hi, I have a Motorola G stylus and for some reason the game is stuck on "scanning for existing items" when I try to download the cards. I can download quest images and tokens but no the magic cards. If I try the 1.6.41 snapshot I can download the cards. This is weird. Some months ago I used to play in a Samsung Galaxy J7 prime with no problems.
zeromasterk

Re: Forge for Android v1.6.42.001

Postby Agetian » 12 Jun 2021, 13:46

UPDATE (06/12/21): Forge for Android v1.6.42.001 has been released. It's a version based on the 1.6.42 release of Forge and it features all the feature updates and new cards from the desktop release, including Modern Horizons 2. Enjoy!

Please note that version 1.6.41 was skipped for technical reasons.

- Agetian
Agetian
Programmer

Postby jtrowell » 12 Jun 2021, 16:01

Hi, I just installed the new 1.6.42.001 update on my phone (Xiaomi MI 10T Pro) and now when I launch the game it is immediatly stuck at "Checking for updates"

EDIT: reinstalling the game seems to have fixed the issue. However, I noticed that the game files have been moved ? Before they were in a /Forge folder, now they are in /Android/obb/forge.app/Forge , so I had to move manually my old saves, and I will probably have to redownload all pictures (the android file manager I used doesn't seems to like moving those folders, probably because of too many files in them)
Last edited by jtrowell on 13 Jun 2021, 07:12, edited 1 time in total.
jtrowell

Postby jaysenf » 12 Jun 2021, 17:15

I just installed the latest version 1.6
42.001 on my galaxy note 10 with android 11. After update all my decks and saved games have disappeared in game, they still exist as files. It gets stuck at "loading" if I try to make a new deck and will not save any new conquest games. I enjoy the app and thanks for all your hard work
jaysenf

Postby friarsol » 14 Jun 2021, 12:43

jaysenf wrote:I just installed the latest version 1.6
42.001 on my galaxy note 10 with android 11. After update all my decks and saved games have disappeared in game, they still exist as files. It gets stuck at "loading" if I try to make a new deck and will not save any new conquest games. I enjoy the app and thanks for all your hard work
Android 11+ users needs to copy the existing Forge folder to the new location. First run Forge and let it download and install necessary files. If Forge is not running (after Android 11 update, white screen bug), disable storage permission and enable storage permission again for Forge. After successful run, exit Forge then copy your existing Forge folder to Android/obb/forge.app (keep the existing Forge folder as a backup).
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby jaysenf » 15 Jun 2021, 03:08

friarsol wrote:
jaysenf wrote:I just installed the latest version 1.6
Android 11+ users needs to copy the existing Forge folder to the new location. First run Forge and let it download and install necessary files. If Forge is not running (after Android 11 update, white screen bug), disable storage permission and enable storage permission again for Forge. After successful run, exit Forge then copy your existing Forge folder to Android/obb/forge.app (keep the existing Forge folder as a backup).
Thank you, it worked like a charm
jaysenf

Postby zeromasterk » 21 Jun 2021, 00:28

For some reason the images of the cards are blinking a lot, it's like they are loading again and again and again, this happens when I enter in "edit deck" or in my hand when I am in a match.
zeromasterk

Postby zeromasterk » 21 Jun 2021, 00:32

zeromasterk wrote:For some reason the images of the cards are blinking a lot, it's like they are loading again and again and again, this happens when I enter in "edit deck" or in my hand when I am in a match.
Fixed! I had to disable the "automatically download missing card art" option.
zeromasterk

PreviousNext

Return to Forge