It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 12:07

Text Size

Forge for Android v1.6.53.001

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Forge for Android v1.6.40.001

Postby krevett » 29 Apr 2021, 14:04

Motogi wrote:Thank you so much to all of you for this latest update! You all do a fantastic work!

I tried to install this latest v1.6.40.001 release. The install works but unfortunately the app freezes during downloading resource files (at 100% progress).

Here are the specs for my system:
Android 6.0.1
Samsung SM-A300FU
RAM 1384MB

Here is the log file:
| Open
could not load default card image
(ThreadUtil first call): Running on a machine with 4 cpu core(s)
(HTTPLog)-Static: isSBSettingEnabled false

Thank you very much in advance for your time! Keep up your great work!
Same here freeze at the same time same version of android 6.0.1
krevett

Postby lipooo » 29 Apr 2021, 17:02

Help please tron lands mine tower and powerplant don't work in new version's :(
lipooo

Postby thomek » 01 May 2021, 11:14

krevett wrote:
Motogi wrote:Thank you so much to all of you for this latest update! You all do a fantastic work!

I tried to install this latest v1.6.40.001 release. The install works but unfortunately the app freezes during downloading resource files (at 100% progress).

Android 6.0.1
Samsung SM-A300FU
RAM 1384MB

Here is the log file:
| Open

Issue report (#1812): https://git.cardforge.org/core-developers/forge/-/issues/1812
thomek

Postby kevlahnota » 02 May 2021, 02:10

thomek wrote:
krevett wrote:

Android 6.0.1
Samsung SM-A300FU
RAM 1384MB

Here is the log file:
| Open

Issue report (#1812): https://git.cardforge.org/core-developers/forge/-/issues/1812
try latest 1.6.41.210502.SNAPSHOTS, the fix you suggested is already integrated.
kevlahnota
Programmer

Postby krevett » 02 May 2021, 09:18

kevlahnota wrote:try latest 1.6.41.210502.SNAPSHOTS, the fix you suggested is already integrated.
It now loads up to finishing startup...then black screen forge is still loaded in memory and if i bring the window in front it start loading from the begining again.

Log says nothing it seems
Attachments
forge.log
(371 Bytes) Downloaded 150 times
krevett

Postby kevlahnota » 02 May 2021, 09:28

krevett wrote:
kevlahnota wrote:try latest 1.6.41.210502.SNAPSHOTS, the fix you suggested is already integrated.
It now loads up to finishing startup...then black screen forge is still loaded in memory and if i bring the window in front it start loading from the begining again.

Newer Forge needs more RAM, 3GB allows it to load but it's not optimal for use along with card images. I don't know what last version allows to load 2GB RAM or less.
EDIT: I load latest Snapshots on my old Galaxy Tab S, 3GB RAM, Android 6.0.1, it runs ok (Just for testing though)..

IMG20210502203544-min.jpg
kevlahnota
Programmer

Postby krevett » 02 May 2021, 14:10

Ok thanks for the insight. Not too bad I use forge on windows the phone was just a bonus for me. Will wait until I upgrade then ;)
krevett

Postby wcbeck4 » 03 May 2021, 18:16

To "fix" the loading issue what I've done that works for me is open any other app and let my screen turn off (~1 minute) then open Forge back up and it finishes
wcbeck4

Postby Motogi » 04 May 2021, 22:16

wcbeck4 wrote:To "fix" the loading issue what I've done that works for me is open any other app and let my screen turn off (~1 minute) then open Forge back up and it finishes
That is interesting, thank you. I would like to try this method. Can you please explain your steps? I am not sure to quite understand it. Thank you very much!
Motogi

Postby Motogi » 04 May 2021, 23:14

kevlahnota wrote:
krevett wrote:

Newer Forge needs more RAM, 3GB allows it to load but it's not optimal for use along with card images. I don't know what last version allows to load 2GB RAM or less.
EDIT: I load latest Snapshots on my old Galaxy Tab S, 3GB RAM, Android 6.0.1, it runs ok (Just for testing though)..

IMG20210502203544-min.jpg
Thank you kevlahnota for that fix, you are awesome as always!

I have installed the latest snapshot and I have the same problem as krevett already described, that is Forge crashes right after finishing startup. More precisely, the "crash" is actually a short black screen for about two seconds, then the Forge app is still active in memory, and when I bring it back in front it restarts loading. This cycle repeats itself and Forge never starts properly. Here is the log file:
| Open
Card Texture Cache Size: 400
Forge v.1.6.41.210504.SNAPSHOTS (forge.GuiMobile@2cd84e4)
Samsung SM-A300FU (RAM: 1384MB, Android 6.0.1 API Level 23)
Language 'java.util.PropertyResourceBundle@c60c002' loaded successfully.

I use a Galaxy A3 with Android 6.0.1 and 1.5 GB RAM. My phone ran Forge properly until recently but now it seems to not be supported anymore. I understand that it is a somewhat older model and that it can't be supported forever. My humble opinion is that it is not that old though: I purchased it at the store less than five years ago and it's still working very well. I actually chose an Android phone for one and only reason: to be able to play Magic on Forge. For all these years Forge for Android has been my only way to play our beloved game (as the desktop version as well as all other ways to play Magic are not possible for me). I used to play with Forge on a regular basis until recently when it stopped working on my device.

For all these reasons and because a phone upgrade is unfortunately not an option, I would very much appreciate it if one of you, amazing Forge developers, could suggest a solution for the less fortunate among us who still use an older device. Thank you very much in advance!

I am grateful for the fantastic work that everyone of you has done with Forge during these years as well as for your time and dedication to it, for the benefit of all users.
Motogi

Postby TheMagicUser » 16 May 2021, 07:09

Not sure if it's a known issue, but Forge doesn't work on android 11 (using Oneplus 7T). It's just a white screen on launch, and the log is empty. I tried reinstalling and using different versions with the same problem. I hope it gets updated to 11 soon!
TheMagicUser

Postby kevlahnota » 16 May 2021, 08:45

TheMagicUser wrote:Not sure if it's a known issue, but Forge doesn't work on android 11 (using Oneplus 7T). It's just a white screen on launch, and the log is empty. I tried reinstalling and using different versions with the same problem. I hope it gets updated to 11 soon!
I have Android 11 and latest Snapshots works fine. For the white screen bug, go to Forge permission settings, disable storage permission, then enable it again.
kevlahnota
Programmer

Postby Voda » 20 May 2021, 23:54

I'm facing similar issues as others stated recently - the app just crashes at the end of loading (before the main menu appears) and forge.log doesn't show anything. I'm on a 2GB ram phone and Forge used to work perfectly in the past. I took the time to pinpoint the version where it started to not work anymore for me. Up until 1.6.29.001, the game runs without a problem. It is from version 1.6.30.001 on that I started having problem launching the app.

From the changelog (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29077) the major change would be the "fancy looking UI stuff". It results in a larger .apk (6.8 Mo compared to 5.7 Mo for 1.6.29). But most importantly it seems to have made the app unusable from that point on for those with older phones.

If someone whose experiencing crashes with a <3GB ram could try this it would be helpful (@Motogi @krevett) :
https://releases.cardforge.org/forge/fo ... ligned.apk -> should work
https://releases.cardforge.org/forge/fo ... ligned.apk -> should not work

I have never seen those fancy looking UI stuff since I've not been able to run forge after they've been added, but would it be possible to have the ability to deactivate them ? (if it is confirmed they are the one causing the issue for us, it might be a desktop only addition) Maybe other changes are responsible.

EDIT : I realize that it might be that 1.6.30 doesn't work for me because of the bug while searching for an update. 1.6.29 seems to be the last version I'm able to test because it doesn't get blocked on the "looking for update" step.
Voda

Postby kevlahnota » 21 May 2021, 03:24

Voda wrote:I'm facing similar issues as others stated recently - the app just crashes at the end of loading (before the main menu appears) and forge.log doesn't show anything. I'm on a 2GB ram phone and Forge used to work perfectly in the past. I took the time to pinpoint the version where it started to not work anymore for me. Up until 1.6.29.001, the game runs without a problem. It is from version 1.6.30.001 on that I started having problem launching the app.

From the changelog (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29077) the major change would be the "fancy looking UI stuff". It results in a larger .apk (6.8 Mo compared to 5.7 Mo for 1.6.29). But most importantly it seems to have made the app unusable from that point on for those with older phones.

If someone whose experiencing crashes with a <3GB ram could try this it would be helpful (@Motogi @krevett) :
https://releases.cardforge.org/forge/fo ... ligned.apk -> should work
https://releases.cardforge.org/forge/fo ... ligned.apk -> should not work

I have never seen those fancy looking UI stuff since I've not been able to run forge after they've been added, but would it be possible to have the ability to deactivate them ? (if it is confirmed they are the one causing the issue for us, it might be a desktop only addition) Maybe other changes are responsible.

EDIT : I realize that it might be that 1.6.30 doesn't work for me because of the bug while searching for an update. 1.6.29 seems to be the last version I'm able to test because it doesn't get blocked on the "looking for update" step.
I just pushed a new Forge Snapshots (1.6.41.210521) that disables loading of HD Textures (Skins/Themes) for devices with 5GB RAM or less, don't know if it works for you: https://downloads.cardforge.org/dailysnapshots/

The increase in size of Forge apk is the inclusion of ARM64 bit libraries for LibGDX and other dependency updates.
Last edited by kevlahnota on 22 May 2021, 08:58, edited 1 time in total.
kevlahnota
Programmer

Postby SpicyNinja » 22 May 2021, 02:42

I just pushed a new Forge Snapshots (1.6.41.210521) that disables loading of HD Textures (Skins/Themes) for devices with 5GB RAM or less, don't know if it works for you:

The increase in size of Forge apk is the inclusion of ARM64 bit libraries for LibGDX and other dependency updates.
I was having the same issues and this worked for me
SpicyNinja

PreviousNext

Return to Forge