It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:08

Text Size

Too much lag in new update

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Too much lag in new update

Postby Reman » 09 Oct 2018, 22:00

Fizanko wrote:
Reman wrote:Indeed there was. I got the error "Too small initial heap".

Any idea how to fix it?
I noticed in your screenshot you have
Code: Select all
-Xmx2048
instead of
Code: Select all
-Xmx2048m
You forget the ' m ' after 2048, that may be why it does not work.
Derp. I double checked that I got the syntax correct at least 5 times, but still made this silly typo. Thanks for pointing it out.

After fixing it I got another error along the lines of "Could not reserve enough space for object heap", but keeping the command prompt open meant I could Google the issue and found a thread (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18040361/java-could-not-reserve-enough-space-for-object-heap-error) which solved my issue. Everything is working now. Thanks to everyone who helped :)

This discussion, or a condensed instruction set to solve this issue, should be posted to the Forge FAQ.
Reman

Postby peepser » 11 Oct 2018, 00:39

I also tried doing this text script bat file and set it to 4 gigs. When I check task manager, the java.exe never uses more than 1.3 gigs of ram, even when it is lagging.
peepser

Postby Fizanko » 11 Oct 2018, 09:49

That is strange, it looks like that java exe use more memory than default Forge allow (as it was mentionned Forge is said to use max 1gb) , but it's puzzling then why it's not getting over 1.3gb in your case with a max allowed of 4gb .

As it was mentionned in another thread, in addition to the memory increase, for anyone that play for a long enough session to experience Forge starting to lag, try the following :
- go to Game Settings -> Preferences and enable "Performance Mode"

And try to play for a long time to see if it helps to avoid this lag.

Additionally, maybe disabling the background music can help too.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby peepser » 11 Oct 2018, 17:22

Watching the java memory usage today after an hour and it is getting close to 2 gigs (set to 4 gigs), which is higher than before.

update: 2.6 gigs usage after 3 hours. Still running fine.

Update: after running it for 9 hours, java ram usage topped out around 2.7 gigs! But there were no slow downs in the game even after 9 hours.
peepser

Postby peepser » 12 Oct 2018, 14:52

Here is what will overload forge. Play against a silver deck and play ensnaring bridge and Island sanctuary. The AI can't attack, generates over 100 silvers. I try to win by milling the AI. Game slows to a crawl trying to get through turns. By the time the AI has only 10 cards left in its deck, even the 4.6 gigs of java ram being used is inadequate and the game practically freezes.
peepser

Postby Fizanko » 12 Oct 2018, 23:01

It could be interesting for people that can play multiplayer to test this hundred of creatures at play situation while checking their memory/cpu usage.

This to see if it's the game that isn't able to cope with more than X amount of creature on the battlefield, or if it is only the AI that is unable to do so without killing Forge performance.

Would be great if Forge had an option for the player to be able to cap the max amount of creatures on a side of the battlefield to his choice, it would at least help to avoid this kind of Forge performance crippling situation.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby peepser » 11 Dec 2018, 18:48

I am trying this with latest version of Forge, Dec 9 2018, and it no longer makes a bat file. If I rename the text file to .bat, it stays as a text file named '.bat'. I have double checked that the jar file in the text is named correctly, in this case: java -Xmx4096m -jar forge-gui-desktop-1.6.19-jar-with-dependencies.jar
peepser

Previous

Return to Forge