It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 07:36

Text Size

Running Forge Desktop In ChromeOS (via Linux/Crostini)

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Running Forge Desktop In ChromeOS (via Linux/Crostini)

Postby fanum » 26 Nov 2018, 04:17

Hey Guys, I just got Forge desktop up and running in Chromeium OS (Neverware, Beta channel) and wanted to share the method in case anyone else cared. It should also work in Chrome OS proper.

Certain devices on Chrome OS (and Chromium OS) now have access to Linux applications via a container (Crostini), so obviously I installed Forge desktop onto it. Please note, some Chrome OS devices don't support Linux applications, and some may never. Before you get your hopes up, check if Linux support exists for your model. It was pretty straightforward, here's the instructions.

1. Install Linux Application support for your device (you may need to be on the Beta/Development channel, I don't know for sure).

2. once that's installed you should have a Linux application folder in the launcher. Select terminal.

3. The first launch may take some time, be patient. Once it's open, run these two commands. One will update the list of available packages, the second will install Java (open Java actually, since Oracle is the worst):

sudo apt update; sudo apt install default-jdk

4. Download the Forge Desktop from the official download page.

5. Open the files app, click on downloads, and then open the Forge archive.

6. Click on the Linux files shortcut on the left bar in the files app and create a folder called Forge in the Linux Files Folder.

7. Select the mounted archive file on the left, in the files app.

8. Select all files, and copy them to the Forge folder you just created in "Linux Files"

9. Once that's done copying, which will probably take a while and may ask you to kill/abort the process as a result (don't), open up terminal and run these commands. The first will change directory to your Forge folder that has the files you extracted (keep in mind that the Linux terminal is case sensitive, so feel free to change "Forge" to whatever you named your Forge folder), the second will make the forge Linux launcher shell script (.sh) executable, so that you can run it as an application:

cd Forge ; sudo chmod +x forge.sh

10. Run the game! For now, I'm just doing that from terminal also:

./forge.sh

Enjoy! Feel free to ask questions.
fanum

Return to Forge