It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:50

Text Size

Forge language translation

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Forge language translation

Postby Jessica » 14 Feb 2019, 20:44

Hi,

I'm no developer but I'm interested in translating Forge to Dutch language.
Is this possible for non-developers and is there a translation project going on for translating Forge to other languages?

If yes to both question, can somebody tell me how the translation works and what exactly I need to do?

thx
Jessica

Re: Forge language translation

Postby churrufli » 15 Feb 2019, 11:21

Hi Jessica,

I was working recently in the internationalization of Forge. There is still a lot to do, and initially only the GUI will be translated but not the math part.
If you want to translate to your language (what there is for now) you can do it like this:

Edit user\preferences\forge.preferences and change the value of

UI_LANGUAGE = en-US by nl-NL

Create a copy of the res\ languages\ en-US.properties file and call it nl-NL.properties.

Translate the value of text strings that you will find in the file. If you complete it in your language, let me know.
EDIT: I have created a windows tool to manage translations. I put it in my post "Tools for Forge users in Windows".viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21514

Regards
Last edited by churrufli on 22 Feb 2019, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.
churrufli

Postby Jessica » 15 Feb 2019, 14:58

Hi

That is very understandable for a non-developer and I want to help (only for Dutch)!
But ... the file en-US.properties just contains 4 lines, that's it. Am I using the right file because it's very short?

In the attachment is the Dutch translated file. Wow, that was completed quickly :mrgreen:

(words like "decks" I couldn't translate very well, so I think it's best to keep it the same as English.)

Let me know if you made bigger files with text to translate! If there is no hurry, I will translate everything slowly to Dutch and test it in my own Forge version :-)

Wouldn't it be nice to have a setting in the GUI of Forge to change the language there (after restarting Forge)? That's also much user friendly for beginners who want Forge in their native language.

(that attachment contains the file, I got an error the extension "properties" is not allowed, so I added .txt at the end of the file)
Attachments
nl-NL.properties.txt
(237 Bytes) Downloaded 403 times

Postby churrufli » 15 Feb 2019, 18:42

Hi, you need to update to last snapshot version, there are more text to translate https://snapshots.cardforge.org
churrufli

Postby Jessica » 16 Feb 2019, 15:19

I have downloaded it and I'm translating it! When it's ready I'll upload the file here.

Could you add my Dutch translation to the next snapshot? I ask this, because I don't want to keep it safe on my pc (chances I will lose the file are big, because I have so many files on different PCs).

If it's added to Forge, then I can download it again later, to add more translations if required :-)

Postby twosat » 19 Feb 2019, 17:10

I did a quick and dirty german translation.
There will be typos and not all the phrases are correct. But it should be good enough for testing.
Most Terms i have translated, as they have counterparts on cards or in rules. To the extent of my knowledge.

I don't know if the german specific foreign characters will ba a problem.
Feedback will be appreciated.

I will track this part of the project, too. :P

------

I know, i know, some will say we should stay with English. [-X But not all are comfortable with English. The use of Forge will be easier to my kids with the translation.
A translation should result in more users and a broader community.
Nobody will be forced to use a translation.

Some years before i've been involved in the translation of another project. This was stopped because of being trolled against translating it (English ist enough). In the end the whole project died. Once bitten,... :(

-----
I will use this post to share my most recent language file.
Attachments
de-DE.properties.txt
German translation. Remove .txt
(119.03 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Last edited by twosat on 13 May 2020, 22:17, edited 40 times in total.
twosat

Postby twosat » 19 Feb 2019, 21:13

Tested my language file with the latest snapshot.

Following entry doesn't work:
# VSubmenuPreferences.java
Preferences = Einstellungen

Any suggestion?

#churrufli:
I think that translating the gui will suffice. Translating would be way to much work and would inflate a lot of files to the infinite.
I use at the moment german card scans to help my kids to play forge. But sometimes they are confused which button is which choice. So when the gui is translated there would be no need to translate the math part.
Wouldn't translating the cards mean reworking ervery card script?
twosat

Postby Jessica » 19 Feb 2019, 23:39

Great to see other people translate their own language!

Dutch will follow later when I have time for it!

Postby churrufli » 20 Feb 2019, 10:16

Great to see this. It is easy to help in the task of translating Forge. Even so, I have created a windows tool to manage translations. Manually or with this, do it like you want. The application will update and load the updated file when there are new texts to translate. I put it in my post "Tools for Forge users in Windows".https://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21514
churrufli

Postby twosat » 20 Feb 2019, 11:39

Thanks! Downloaded the tool and will give it a try.
twosat

Postby twosat » 22 Feb 2019, 13:11

A few things...

First, attached the german translation based on forge-1.6.22-SNAPSHOT-r31-da9373a0df.

Still i can't get my translation for #VSubmenuPreferences.java Keyword Preferences to be shown. Maybe the Keyword in the translation file is wrong, as the other keyword have prefixes.

Where in forge is the keyword lblPanelTabs to be shown? I would like to check my translation.

Last, but not least: If we pursue this part project in earnest, would it be feasible to move this thread to developer's corner? I don't see me as a developer, but i think it's more appropriate.
And maybe move Jessicas post regarding translation from "Tools for Forge users in Windows" to this thread?
Attachments
de-DE.properties.txt
german translation
Remove .txt
(40.71 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
Last edited by twosat on 28 Aug 2019, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
twosat

Postby churrufli » 22 Feb 2019, 14:27

twosat wrote:Still i can't get my translation for #VSubmenuPreferences.java Keyword Preferences to be shown. Maybe the Keyword in the translation file is wrong, as the other keyword have prefixes.
I think it's solved, wait for a new versions to see it.
twosat wrote:Where in forge is the keyword lblPanelTabs to be shown? I would like to check my translation.

notitle.png
twosat wrote:Last, but not least: If we pursue this part project in earnest, would it be feasible to move this thread to developer's corner? I don't see me as a developer, but i think it's more appropriate.
And maybe move Jessicas post regarding translation from "Tools for Forge users in Windows" to this thread?
Forum admins will surely read this, thanks for collaborate and suggestions.
churrufli

Postby twosat » 27 Feb 2019, 21:50

churrufli wrote:
twosat wrote:Still i can't get my translation for #VSubmenuPreferences.java Keyword Preferences to be shown. Maybe the Keyword in the translation file is wrong, as the other keyword have prefixes.
I think it's solved, wait for a new versions to see it.
:-s Does not work yet. I'm on forge-1.6.22-SNAPSHOT-r84-16c9cc7eac. Seems to be the latest snapshot at the moment. 8-[
twosat

Postby twosat » 25 Mar 2019, 11:26

Updated my german translation. See my first post above.
Version: forge-1.6.23-SNAPSHOT-r151-1c0d95b930
twosat

Next

Return to Forge