It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:51

Text Size

Java Error - Beginner [FIXED]

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Java Error - Beginner [FIXED]

Postby Areness » 20 Feb 2019, 00:23

First off I'm really sorry if this is the wrong section of the board to post this on, but I could not find any post containing the same error I am currently encountering when trying to start the programm. I did find similar errors through the search function, but the fixes mentioned in these threads did not work in my case. Now to the error:

I initially installed Forge and then updated Java, since it did need an update at that time to be able to run Forge. It started buttersmooth and I'd already sunken about 3 hours into it before I decided to download the card images through the inherent pic downloader. Forge still worked for about 3 more hours, before it suddenly crashed. When I tried to open it again, the programm froze on the "Opening Main Window" splash screen, which I believe is the last before the programm actually starts up. It then produces this error message:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at forge.quest.QuestController.resetDuelsManager(QuestController.java:440)
at forge.quest.QuestController.getDuelsManager(QuestController.java:413)
at forge.deck.DeckProxy.getAllQuestEventAndChallenges(DeckProxy.java:523)
at forge.deckchooser.FDeckChooser.updateQuestEvents(FDeckChooser.java:236)
at forge.deckchooser.FDeckChooser.refreshDecksList(FDeckChooser.java:402)
at forge.deckchooser.FDeckChooser.restoreSavedState(FDeckChooser.java:470)
at forge.deckchooser.FDeckChooser.populate(FDeckChooser.java:281)
at forge.screens.home.CLobby.initialize(CLobby.java:75)
at forge.screens.home.sanctioned.CSubmenuConstructed.initialize(CSubmenuConstructed.java:44)
at forge.view.FView.initialize(FView.java:125)
at forge.control.FControl$3.run(FControl.java:268)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

As I stated above, I tried searching for fixes on the forums but to no avail. Fixes included deleting the quest save files, deleting card images, using different versions of Java ( that one might've been googling though) or replacing certain files in the /appdata directory. Like aforementioned none of them worked so I decided to wipe my rig clean of Java and then wipe Forge for a following clean installation of both. It has to be said that I did not found a way of removing Forge but blatantly shift+deleting it, in my main directory and in /appdata.
As you can guess It did not fix the problem, it persists on every start-up.

I am currently using forge-gui-desktop-1.6.21 and JavaDK 1.8.0_202 on OS: Windows 8.1.
I'm pretty much at my wits end here since I'm not a programmer at all and could only make wild guesses as to what this error actually means.

Every bit of help is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Areness
Last edited by Areness on 20 Feb 2019, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Areness

Re: Java Error - Beginner

Postby churrufli » 20 Feb 2019, 09:37

Forge > Game Settings > Preferences > Open User Directory button. Preferences folder >

rename/backup forge.preferences and try, same with quest folder.

If you want to do a clean installation and keep all files in the same directory you can do it with Forge Launcher. Run the tool in a new folder and install Forge with the option "Install all in the same folder creating profile.properties file". https://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21514 hope it's helpful.
churrufli

Re: Java Error - Beginner

Postby Areness » 20 Feb 2019, 15:13

Thanks a bunch =D,

the first steps you mentioned did not work for me, but a clean installation with everything in the same folder through Forge Launcher did.

/sighofrelieve
Areness

Re: Java Error - Beginner [FIXED]

Postby ruchikadmore » 21 Feb 2019, 04:20

Excellent answer by churrufli . Thank you.
ruchikadmore

Re: Java Error - Beginner [FIXED]

Postby atulraj123 » 20 Jul 2023, 11:37

As a beginner in Java, you may encounter various types of errors while writing or running your Java code. These errors are called exceptions, and they occur when something unexpected happens during the execution of your program. Understanding and fixing these errors is an essential part of the learning process.

Here are some common types of Java errors that beginners may encounter:

Syntax Errors:
Syntax errors occur when your code violates the rules of the Java programming language. These errors prevent your code from being compiled and are usually straightforward to identify and fix. Examples of syntax errors include missing semicolons, mismatched parentheses, or incorrect keywords.
atulraj123

Return to Forge