It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:12

Text Size

Couple things from a new forge user

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Couple things from a new forge user

Postby Taako » 01 Apr 2019, 00:05

I played Cockatrice a ton back in 2010-2012 and then took a long haiatus from MTG. I am just now getting back into it and looking for programs similar to cockatrice. I found XMage and Forge as the two most popular replacements that actually implement the rules system. Forge is amazing! I love the rules engine being built into the game and i love the challenges and quest modes.

A couple things:

1) You NEED and undo button. When playing multiplayer with friends undo-ing tapped lands is so extremely common. You should have a way to undo tapping lands automatically by clicking on them again.

2) It's super confusing when you are and are not able to do things. I found blocking difficult and also i wasn't allowed to activate abilities before i declared blockers. This is a major problem as a lot of MTG action occurs after attackers are declared but before blockers are declared.

3) I can't hover over a card thats on the stack and see it's full size or even oracle text. Hovering over a card thats in the stack should absolutely show you the relevant card.

Hope development with this keeps pace! Can't wait to see what is in store.
Taako

Re: Couple things from a new forge user

Postby friarsol » 01 Apr 2019, 00:39

1. Don't we have an undo button? It's not linked to clicking on it a second time. I think that would be confusing for cards that have multiple abilities. Also, if you activate a spell/ability first and pay the cost after. Most costs are rolled back automatically for you.

2. Look at the phase indicators. If they are green the phase will stop to let you play fast effects, if it's red it will automatically skip it for you. If you want to change it, click on the phase indicator you want changed.

3. I thought that did do that, maybe its a little buggy? I definitely recall being able to.

Forge has been around since 2007, at this point we're old hat.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Nigol » 03 Apr 2019, 05:00

friarsol wrote:3. I thought that did do that, maybe its a little buggy? I definitely recall being able to.
I think it's buggy too, I came here after finding out the same thing. It shows the card, but if you hover above any other card it changes it and won't come back. The only way to show the card is to click on the combat tab and back on the stack tab, and it will show it if you do that. It affects both the card Detail and Picture

Website is not responding at the moment, so I can't check old version or post a bug report on the Git.

I still had the source in my computer and I reverted the last changes done to VStack.java and it's this change that broke it (Dec 24th).

Edit: The fix in question was about Targeting Arcs, I don't really understand the Bug that was trying to be fixed. But the workaround before they fix is to change the Targeting Arc setting to Mouse Over.

Code: Select all
Update targeting overlay to draw target arrow for stack top when "On" (no initial mouse over required).
Prevent identical target arrows from being added to the arc lists which was causing a minor graphics glitch.
Attachments
Fixed_Card_not_updating_in_the_stack_on_mouseover_when_targeting_arcs_isn't_on_Mouseover.patch.txt
Patch for the problem, I am not certain what it was supposed to fix, so I just commented it
(1.67 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Nigol

Postby drbo6 » 17 Jul 2021, 06:27

As a new player I had some issues with the undo button as well, in particular with OP's second point.

I find myself accidentally clicking OK too quickly and going from DA to DB before getting the chance to cast instants and no way to roll back even though nothing in the game state has actually changed. It has certainly cost me tempo if not the game a bunch of times.

Anyways, love the application. It is some awesome work. Just wish I didn't end up missing the timing windows so often.
drbo6

Return to Forge