It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:30

Text Size

A quest strategy question

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: A quest strategy question

Postby friarsol » 13 Jun 2011, 00:38

Good thing about the new beta is if you use the default quest.preferences you get to start with a fair amount more cards than before.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 14 Jun 2011, 13:41

Chris H. wrote:It has been awhile since my last quest that I decided to start one up again. We have changed a number of the old quest decks and added a handful of new ones.
`
I have not been able to play many matches with my new quest deck. I now have 5 wins and 4 losses and a 1/3 plant wall. Drat those buggy cards and their error exceptions. :)

I have had a few games where I have been able to get out the Ulamog's Crusher. Today I got him out and the following turn cast my Scrapdiver Serpent. The following turn I was able to pay the kicked cost for Rite of Replication. Sweet.

Current BU quest deck after 9 games | Open
40 Total Cards

17 Creatures
-------------
1x Barony Vampire
4x Blood Seeker
2x Darkslick Drake
1x Geth, Lord of the Vault
1x Howling Banshee
1x Keening Banshee
1x Plague Stinger
1x Sangromancer
1x Scrapdiver Serpent
1x Skinrender
1x Stalker Hag
1x Toxic Nim
1x Ulamog's Crusher

7 Spells
----------
1x Angelheart Vial
1x Dismember
1x Dolmen Gate
1x Elixir of Immortality
1x Essence Feed
1x Paupers' Cage
1x Rite of Replication

16 Land
--------
1x Bojuka Bog
7x Island
7x Swamp
1x Tainted Field
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 25 Jun 2011, 00:15

My record is now 8 wins and 8 losses. I am still facing easy opponents. I do not mind as the easy decks are fairly challenging. I just barely beat Kang 1. I can hardly wait to face Kang 2 and 3.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby BAZ » 28 Jun 2011, 19:00

Can't figure out how to search forum, so I'll post my quest thoughts here.

I lose 15 credits even after I win, is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

I beat a npc with 1/0 record, and a pop up shows:
Continue
Quit
Restart

I click on QUIT, and I lose 15 credits, how do I beat opponent to GAIN credits?
BAZ

Postby Chris H. » 28 Jun 2011, 19:04

BAZ wrote:Can't figure out how to search forum, so I'll post my quest thoughts here.

I lose 15 credits even after I win, is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

I beat a npc with 1/0 record, and a pop up shows:
Continue
Quit
Restart

I click on QUIT, and I lose 15 credits, how do I beat opponent to GAIN credits?
`
Forge plays a best two out of three game match. If you win the first game and press the quit button before you play and win a second game in your match you will lose the match.

Even if you won first game in the match.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby BAZ » 28 Jun 2011, 19:11

Just figured that out, and thanks for such speedy reply.
BAZ

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 06 Jul 2011, 14:20

The time has come to make the Cardshop work with the new BoosterGenerator. This will affect its functionality.

Currently:
The number of cards presented are calculated based on the number of wins and the quest level. This calculation results in a number of packs to be generated, and then displayed. These boosters are pulled from an old class, ReadBoosterPack.java, which used to pull its data from the rarity.txt files.

Options:
1 - Populate the cardshop with boosters generated from the Full cardpool.. which is pretty much the same as is done now. Doesn't play well with the Type2 starting pool option.
2 - Populate the cardshop with boosters generated from randomly chosen sets.. This gives the possibility that you can purchase a number of cards that work together better. It also opens up the option to only make boosters from particular sets, either when using the Type2 option, or others we may come up with later.
3 - mix and match - a couple full packs and the rest random sets, or a couple random sets and the rest full.
4 - add preference options for all these modes....

Obviously, the next step after this is adding the option to purchase a booster pack outright. When that comes along, I'm thinking the most recent set has a base-price of like 75 points, (random fluctuations in price might make the booster as low as maybe 60?) and the base-price increases linearly to something like 1000 for an Alpha pack. Of course the cardshop may not have all non-Type2 boosters in stock at any given time....
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby Sloth » 06 Jul 2011, 16:07

Rob Cashwalker wrote:The time has come to make the Cardshop work with the new BoosterGenerator. This will affect its functionality.
I would vote for option 3. And gaining a random booster should happen fairly often (maybe 60%).

Rob Cashwalker wrote:Obviously, the next step after this is adding the option to purchase a booster pack outright. When that comes along, I'm thinking the most recent set has a base-price of like 75 points, (random fluctuations in price might make the booster as low as maybe 60?) and the base-price increases linearly to something like 1000 for an Alpha pack. Of course the cardshop may not have all non-Type2 boosters in stock at any given time....
This would make quests much more attractive. I think Dennis added this feature to his adventure mode. If I remember correctly you would be able to unlock more sets to purchase, starting out with the weak sets.
Sloth
Programmer

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 06 Jul 2011, 16:46

Sloth, which part of option 3? Or should the mix also be random?

I wouldn't be going after the "unlocking" approach, though I guess the number of wins or level could be used to bias the availability of sets... for example, Alpha boosters wouldn't show up at all until some particular point in the game....

As match win rewards, where should the boosters come from? Full card pool or random set? At some point, when foiling (and set code) is stored with the quest data, I would default all the rare bonuses to be foil. Foil cards would have a value of 2x the normal cost.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby Sloth » 06 Jul 2011, 17:04

Rob Cashwalker wrote:Sloth, which part of option 3? Or should the mix also be random?
Sorry, I was confused. See below.

Rob Cashwalker wrote:As match win rewards, where should the boosters come from? Full card pool or random set? At some point, when foiling (and set code) is stored with the quest data, I would default all the rare bonuses to be foil. Foil cards would have a value of 2x the normal cost.
This is were my comment belongs to. Randomly getting a booster or a random pile from the full cardpool (like before) would be nice.
Sloth
Programmer

Postby BAZ » 09 Jul 2011, 04:44

Has there been a compiled list of bonuses from winning quest matches?
Like alt win = 50 bonus credit
And win without loss = XX credit (I forget)

So I can make a teck to maximize my credits.

(I've gotten up to like 75 wins/50 losses, and quest mode no longer works.
(I think because my card pool was like 3,000 cards, that is ONLY reason I can think it no longer works)

So I've started new EASY t2 card pool game, and won nearly all matches.
(Thanks to poison, I wish my boosters for losing where also T2, and the store only sell t2 :()

Again I'd like the list of bonuses please, so I can aim for them.
BAZ

Postby Chris H. » 09 Jul 2011, 10:41

BAZ wrote:Has there been a compiled list of bonuses from winning quest matches?
Like alt win = 50 bonus credit
And win without loss = XX credit (I forget)

So I can make a teck to maximize my credits.

(I've gotten up to like 75 wins/50 losses, and quest mode no longer works.
(I think because my card pool was like 3,000 cards, that is ONLY reason I can think it no longer works)

So I've started new EASY t2 card pool game, and won nearly all matches.
(Thanks to poison, I wish my boosters for losing where also T2, and the store only sell t2 :()

Again I'd like the list of bonuses please, so I can aim for them.
`
Look at the forge/res/quest/quest.preferences file and the bonuses should be listed at the bottom.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby timmermac » 08 Jan 2012, 05:55

Been a while since I've done anything with this thread... My current quest is running at 23-7. I'm currently running what is currently a Sliver/Eldrazi deck, though I'm hoping it'll be mostly Slivers... if some of the buggers will only show up in quest reward boosters and in the card shop! Or Tempest/Stronghold/Legions/Time Spiral block boosters would appear in the card shop. I currently have a grand total of 5 or 6 slivers in the whole deck. The rest of the creatures are common Eldrazi I've picked up in Rise of the Eldrazi boosters. I'm including a copy of the booster pack distribution for this quest.
Attachments
Booster Pack Distribution.txt
(483 Bytes) Downloaded 238 times
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby lazylockie » 08 Jan 2012, 16:56

I'd strongly recommend saving your "screw artifacts" cards during your quest journey. Especially with this current standard (SOM block), you get access to a lot of artifact hate.

Why is that you ask? Because later in the quest, there will be plenty of Affinity-like decks and they are fast as lightning when you play with a "normal-non-affinity-hate" decks. Since Forge doesn't have sideboards yet, make a deck that is a full sideboard against those artifact decks.

Even then sometimes it'll be an uphill battle, depending if you have maximized Plant Wall. The best colors for this deck are:

Blue: Steel Sabotage, Ponder, Energy Flux (if you're not Standard)
Red: Manic Vandal, Ancient Grudge
Green: Naturalize, Glissa's Scorn, Nature's Claim
White: Revoke Existence, Oblivion Ring, Stony Silence and Kataki, War's Wage

You'll also need a x/3 artifact creature (any Splicer will do) because of Etched Champion. Right now it beats at 2/2 or 3/3 only, but if stuff like Cranial Plating becomes coded, this will definitely be a threat.
lazylockie

Postby timmermac » 08 Jan 2012, 18:28

The Etched Champion is one of the reasons the Eldrazi are likely to stay in the deck. Also, there's a sliver for that. Ghostflame Sliver, to be exact. I have one currently. I'm currently having extremely crappy luck getting slivers at the moment.
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

PreviousNext

Return to Forge