It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 10:38

Text Size

Help needed getting forge to run

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Help needed getting forge to run

Postby Timmymac22 » 21 Jun 2019, 13:12

Hey everyone, first time poster here in need of some guidance. My new android phone recently broke so I'm forced to use an older tablet running android 4.1.2. I tried to update the system but it says its up to date which I know isn't right. I've tried downloading earlier versions of forge and I can Install fine, and I download the assets.zip and unzip it to the forge folder, but when I start the app it literally hangs forever saying "checking for updates" it will just stay on this screen indefinitely. Do any of you guys out there have any advice on how I can get this awesome app up and running? Thanks so much
Timmymac22

Re: Help needed getting forge to run

Postby CptKird » 29 Jun 2019, 10:23

Hi,

I'm sure you've checked "MINIMAL REQUIREMENTS UPDATE" here:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22739
already?

Seems 1.6.9.005 is the last version to run on pre 4.4 Android OSs.

So uninstall, clean every remnants of previous Forge installs off your tablet and try it with the above mentioned version?
A download link is provided in the same thread.

Hope that helps!
K.
CptKird

Postby Timmymac22 » 02 Jul 2019, 18:07

Hey, thank you so much for the help. I got it to start, and everything seemed fine until I go to start a game, and no cards appear in the play area. It will ask if I want to play or draw, or vice versa if opponent wins, but then no cars appear. I downloaded LQ card images bit still nothing appears in the play area or anywhere else
Timmymac22

Postby CptKird » 02 Jul 2019, 22:18

Hi :)

You're welcome!

Hmm... did you uninstall your previous Forge version and manually deleted any Forge folder on your tablets internal memory?
Really wiped the old Forge install before trying 1.6.9.005?

If yes, then maybe try to change the theme (first option in preferences > general settings) back to default, or, if it's already at default, try changing it to some other theme and then back to default?

The Windows desktop client of Forge has layout resets for both the play area and the deck editor, but I couldn't find it on Android. Maybe the theme switch works instead?

Well, let us know if that fixed it or didn't :)
All the best
K.
CptKird

Postby Timmymac22 » 04 Jul 2019, 02:58

Well I have some updates, unfortunately none of them very good, lol. To answer your question, yes Im positive all old versions of forge I had downloaded and attempted to install are gone from this tablet, and I'm positive of that because I went so far as to move all my music etc onto a new SD card, then did a factory reset. I tried changing themes, and no changes still no cards are visible. I'm given the option of play or draw, and from there not only are no cards visible, but I also can not click on anything,its like it freezes, although the music keeps playing. I did attempt to view the deck I was going to play once, before I started the match' and it froze then as well, and I tried viewing a few diff decks on diff occassions and same thing happens. Could the whole thing be an issue with the decks themselves? Is there a way I could have a corrupt decks file? I must admit this is getting extremely frustrating, but being as I'm an old school MTG junkie (like, i remember counting the days until ice age was released, if that gives u an idea how long ive been playing, lol) I'm willing to keep trying any and all suggestions you fne folks may have. Maybe try a whole other version? Thank you for your responses and trying to help me out, it is very much appreciated!
Timmymac22

Postby CptKird » 04 Jul 2019, 14:04

A few other ideas:

- I'm not sure a factory reset clears user added folders on internal storage in any and all situations, but if you can't see a "Forge" folder on internal, post reset, you should be fine to do a clean install.

- You can check for even older versions than 1.6.9.005 here:
https://releases.cardforge.org/forge/forge-gui-android/

- You can also try a complete manual install with these files:
Install the Forge apk, but don't open the app.
Check if this install created a "Forge" folder on your internal storage (I'm not sure that it does, atm), if not, create one manually.
Extract the contents of "assets.zip" (right next to the apk, from the link above) into the "Forge" folder.
Run the app, aborting/denying any update confirmation and ignoring the additional files dialog.

Maybe that let's it run properly?
Fingers crossed
K.
CptKird

Postby Timmymac22 » 04 Jul 2019, 17:43

No luck with the manual installation either. I even tried switching the view to portrait instead of landscape. I just don't understand why this is so difficult. I guess I officially give up, thanks anyways. I really appreciate the help
Timmymac22

Return to Forge