It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:55

Text Size

Picking the sets in your draft?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Picking the sets in your draft?

Postby Phaeno » 15 Feb 2020, 21:37

I have no idea how easy or hard this is, hoping someone can help me out!

Is there a way I can pick which sets go into booster draft but still have it randomly pick the composition of the boosters from it? Or, maybe better stated: when you do booster draft and pick full card pool, you get random cards in each pack to pick from.

It seems like with a custom set, I have pick the set for each of the 3 boosters rather than having them intermingled like with the full card pool. Any way to get that random smattering with just specific sets?
Phaeno

Re: Picking the sets in your draft?

Postby CptKird » 16 Feb 2020, 11:01

Hello :)

Yes, I think what you're looking for is either a fantasy block or what's called cube drafting, the "cube" being the exact single cardpool and draw style you specify.

A fantasy block needs to be edited into the /res/blockdata/fantasyblocks.txt (first number is draft rounds, second how many packs/players) and can then be chosen when starting a draft game.

Cube drafting specifies a single cardpool, with a theoretically unlimited size, you chose which card, from which set needs to be available by creating a new cube dck file in /res/cube.

You also need ro specify how that cube will be drafted in an identically named .draft-file in /res/draft.

Again, the file contents there are pretty self explanatory, singleton mode needs special attention, though.

If your cube card pool consists of say 600 cards, singleton mode is active, you will have to set your draft style (how many packs/rounds) to lower than that 600 number, else you'll get an error. The reason for that: Singleton means each individual card may only be drafted once(!), so, if your draft style is 3 rounds, 8 packs/players of 15 cards, your cube pool needs to be 3x8x15 (360) in size, at least.

Larger singleton cubes than that draft style formulas' product aren't a problem.

Good luck!
K.
Last edited by CptKird on 17 Feb 2020, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
CptKird

Postby Phaeno » 16 Feb 2020, 15:32

Thank you! A cube has me really close, I think. One question:

What's the number in the first column of the .dck? I'd that how many of the card are in the draft pool to potentially be included? If Singleton is set to off, can multiple instances of this card be included in the booster draft even if it's set to 1?
Phaeno

Postby CptKird » 16 Feb 2020, 17:43

As I understand it, the leading "1" was needed for enabling singleton mode, but there seems to have been some changes and it's not needed anymore?

From the Forge manual file:
"Singleton parameter is obsolette, since all cards within a booster slot are unique."

Yes, if singleton is off, you'll get multiple instances of a specific card.

Hope that helps?
Test away :D
K
Last edited by CptKird on 17 Feb 2020, 02:39, edited 2 times in total.
CptKird

Postby Phaeno » 16 Feb 2020, 18:11

It does! I did some testing and it's working how I'd expect - multiple instances of a card can show up, so it looks like I'm good to go. Appreciate the help here!

For background, I did booster draft with just Alpha until I was able to beat all 7 opponents without losing, so now I added Beta. I'm planning on adding the next set to my pool each time as a way to slowly introduce newer cards =)
Phaeno

Postby CptKird » 16 Feb 2020, 19:02

Not the worst way to learn the cards, you'll have "some" cards left to discover then :D

Alpha/Beta differs only by a very few cards though, Unlimited is identical to Beta.

Then you can add the "four horsemen" expansions, Arabian Nights, Antiquities, Legends and The Dark.

I drafted all four by itself for some time and Legends is my absolute favourite, it's incredibly balanced for a set which includes quite a few "heavy hitters" (for the time)!
The Dark is ok too, AN and AQ are relatively boring to draft on its own.

Well, have fun! :D
K.
CptKird

Return to Forge