It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:58

Text Size

New to forge, having issues with themes and tokens.

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

New to forge, having issues with themes and tokens.

Postby Zalen » 30 May 2020, 19:20

Hello all! I'm new to Forge, and despite my best efforts to resolve the problem myself with the use of the search function, I haven't had any luck. I'd really appreciate if someone with a little more know-how could help me out with two particular issues I'm having.

The first, it seems like I'm not able to use custom themes within the client. I've downloaded a few found on the boards here, and extracted them to my MTG Forge\res\skins folder, but I get a crash whenever I try to select them in game.

The second, I was wondering how I would go about changing/adding token images. From what I've gathered trying to figure this out on my own, I'd need to change the images in the token folder, but I was wondering if this had to be done on a card-by-card basis. For example, if I change the zombie tokens created by diregraf colossus, would it have any effect on the tokens created by, say, dark salvation?

If it helps, I'm using the latest snapshot build, and while I originally was getting error messages for the crashes when I attempted to swap themes, I no longer do, so I'm unable to post them here.
Zalen

Re: New to forge, having issues with themes and tokens.

Postby CptKird » 31 May 2020, 01:31

Hi :)

Concerning themes:
I don't actually know how themes are build, the specifics of it, but I know that even (very) few of the build-in ones might crash, due to missing a specific part/texture.
I'm guessing anything actually missing in a custom theme will be pulled from the default folder. Skin errors will crash Forge and write to Forge.log.

Concerning tokens:
Tokens are set dependent and need set specific filenames.
At the top of each sets edition txt-file in Forge/res/editions you'll find that sets Code/Code2 ID (Code2 is mostly for older sets, only use it when both codes differ) e.g. SOI or EMN in your case and at the end of the txt-file the token naming schemes.

So, for Diregraf Colossus (SOI), you can see that it creates zombies as b_2_2_zombie, so you need to have a "b_2_2_zombie_soi.jpg" in your tokens folder.

For Dark Salvation (EMN) there are three b_2_2_zombie entries and one b_x_x_zombie.
So you'd need to have:

b_2_2_zombie_emn.jpg
b_2_2_zombie2_emn.jpg
b_2_2_zombie3_emn.jpg
and
b_x_x_zombie_emn.jpg

in your tokens folder.

And all the above mentioned jpgs need altering :D

Don't try to alter the sets edition txt-file, those changes are lost after each update and might cause issues in Forge.

Have fun!
K.

PS: There was a recent change, where the first in a row of identical image filenames now needs a "1" explicitly as well, so your first zombie of those three EMN ones might need to be named b_2_2_zombie1_emn.jpg as well. You'd need to test this.
CptKird

Return to Forge