It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 17:54

Text Size

Deck Editor - Commander?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Deck Editor - Commander?

Postby Zirbert » 31 Dec 2020, 23:51

I'm having a recurrence of an old problem. I'm trying to make a new Commander deck in the deck editor, and can't see how to designate my Commander. None of the methods I can find in old forum posts seem to work anymore. Commander is checked out on the Constructed screen before I enter the editor, but I can't find a Commander Deck Editor option on that screen, or a Commander section in the editor.

Even when I open an existing Commander deck in the editor, I can't find where the commander is designated.

I'm running Forge in Linux, using the 1.6.37 snapshot from November 20. Screen caps of what I see are attached.

What am I missing?
Attachments
Screenshot_2020-12-31_19-46-49.png
Screenshot_2020-12-31_19-44-07.png
Zirbert

Re: Deck Editor - Commander?

Postby Fregnor » 02 Jan 2021, 20:49

I checked on my desktop version Snapshot from 12-27-20 and I do not have your problem. I can designate a commander just fine. My dropdown menu reads:
Main
Sideboard
Commander

So just as your main decklist will have 99 cards and your sideboard decklist will have 15 cards, your commander decklist will have 1 card.

Your second screenshot shows that you properly checked the box for "Commander" in the "Variants" bar. When building a commander deck, be sure to check this box immediately before entering deckbuilding. Add your commander to the deck in the commander decklist very first thing and save it to make sure everything is right before you go further and waste time building a deck that won't work.

I wonder if your first screen shot did not immediately come after your second screenshot. Like maybe you were no longer in commander mode when you were in deckbuilding.

Your dropdown menu is weird. Why does it have:
Schemes
Plane
Conspiracy

This makes me wonder if you are not in commander mode. My version of Forge is not doing that.

Your snapshot version is old and may be defective on that particular day. If nothing else works, I recommend that you download and install the new snapshot version.

Hopefully something here helps.
Fregnor

Postby Zirbert » 02 Jan 2021, 23:35

Thanks for the reply - I've upgraded to the Jan. 1 snapshot, and it's still behaving exactly the same way. I open Forge, immediately check the Commander variant, then enter the Deck Editor tab, and it's still showing me the different list of deck sections in the dropdown, same as the screenshot posted previously (Schemes, Avatars, etc., but no Commander section).

This is puzzling, because I've built Commander decks in Forge before. Even when I open one of them, though, the section dropdown remains the same. My deck is listed as 99 cards, with no Commander section.

I may have found a workaround. If I click the Edit icon next to a deck name in the list on the Home tab, it appears to open the Commander deck editor. I'll try working from there.
Zirbert

Postby SoulMan » 06 Jan 2021, 17:55

Zirbert wrote:Thanks for the reply - I've upgraded to the Jan. 1 snapshot, and it's still behaving exactly the same way. I open Forge, immediately check the Commander variant, then enter the Deck Editor tab, and it's still showing me the different list of deck sections in the dropdown, same as the screenshot posted previously (Schemes, Avatars, etc., but no Commander section).

This is puzzling, because I've built Commander decks in Forge before. Even when I open one of them, though, the section dropdown remains the same. My deck is listed as 99 cards, with no Commander section.

I may have found a workaround. If I click the Edit icon next to a deck name in the list on the Home tab, it appears to open the Commander deck editor. I'll try working from there.
1. In Forge goto Game Settings > Preferences > Reset Editor Layout
2. This should "fix" your Deck Editor, and now there should be tabs across the top of it:
Card Catalog, Commander, Oathbreaker, Brawl, Tiny Leaders...
3. Click the Commander tab, then click back to the Card Catalog... you should now be in Commander deck creation mode.

Occasionally the Deck Editor loses the other tabs and only displays the Card Catalog (as demonstrated in your screenshot)... not sure what causes that, but using the Reset Editor Layout always seems to fix it.
SoulMan

Postby Zirbert » 07 Jan 2021, 21:03

SoulMan wrote:
Zirbert wrote:If I click the Edit icon next to a deck name in the list on the Home tab, it appears to open the Commander deck editor. I'll try working from there.
1. In Forge goto Game Settings > Preferences > Reset Editor Layout
2. This should "fix" your Deck Editor, and now there should be tabs across the top of it:
Card Catalog, Commander, Oathbreaker, Brawl, Tiny Leaders...
3. Click the Commander tab, then click back to the Card Catalog... you should now be in Commander deck creation mode.
That worked! Thanks!
Zirbert

Return to Forge