It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:19

Text Size

Turning Forge into a paper deck test platform help

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Turning Forge into a paper deck test platform help

Postby Metalgeekzy » 15 May 2021, 20:35

I play IRL paper magic. Or, used to before the virus.

I would like to turn forge into a test platform to test out deck ideas.

My 2 quests are

1: Is there a way to strip out unwanted cards so only my real world collection is represented in forge?

2: Is there a way to individually upload selected images for just the cards that i want? I downloaded a image set but it seems like it will only use that pic set as it is. i coudent strip anything out or add anything i wanted. Maybe i was doing something wrong. But no matter what i try i could not get images i wanted as i wanted them into forge. Mind you, i used a scanner to scan my real world card and tried to put the scanned image into forge. Maybe the resolution was wrong. I renamed it a billion different ways but no matter what the image would not be read by forge.

I have no problems scanning my entire collection, i just want to make sure forge uses only what i want it to use. I dont need card images for cards i dont intend on using.

THank you so much for nay help you can offer!
Metalgeekzy

Re: Turning Forge into a paper deck test platform help

Postby Fregnor » 16 May 2021, 15:39

1. I do not know of a way to really do this. You could make a deck with a sidedeck of the hundreds of cards in your collection and make many copies of it and only build decks from the cards in your sidedeck, but that is rather awkward.

2. I change images all the time in my game. Usually when the game is missing an image or when it is using an old image instead of the new one, or a variant I don't like as well as another one.

Be sure you are in the proper directory when you are adding and removing images. Mine are:
C: > Users > Fregnor > AppData > Local > Forge > Cache > pics > tokens
and
C: > Users > Fregnor > AppData > Local > Forge > Cache > pics > cards

With token images, I find that the game likes JPG format rather than PNG format. It will ignore my PNG file if there is also a JPG available, so I have to do things like change format, rename-to-disable, and delete images. If I fail to do this, sometimes it appears that the game is downloading replacement images and undoing the work I just did. (Although it might be from when I manually give the command to update images after installing a new version.)

There are settings I need to learn more about that sometimes have the game randomly pick any available image for a card with a particular name rather than the one specific image you want.

With the tokens, there is often a generic image with no set suffix at the beginning of the list, and the game will use it in preference to the appropriate set specific token image. So this has to be changed to the image you want, renamed-to-disable, or deleted. I get the impression there might be a setting I could tinker with to get my game to behave more like I want it to.

The game seems to accept all sorts of resolutions and picture sizes. I don't think that is your problem.

Look at the names of the card image files in the above mentioned files and name your replacement files exactly like they are. Like it is a good practice to find the exact file you want to replace, and then copy and paste its name onto your new image you made.

There is a lag in new images showing up. Like if you are playing Forge, and you notice a missing or incorrect image, you can go fix it while the game is running before you take your next turn, but the change may not show up until next turn, or your next game, or even in some cases until you exit Forge and boot it up again. (But some changes do show up almost immediately.)

Hopefully some of this helps.
Fregnor

Return to Forge