It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 06:10

Text Size

Forge Adventure mode like Shandalar

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Forge Adventure mode like Shandalar

Postby RanDomino » 11 Nov 2021, 20:47

Just downloaded! I had an idea for something like this a while ago but decided I didn't have the technical know-how, so I'm really excited about this!
RanDomino

Postby rikimbo » 11 Nov 2021, 21:12

I tried this out and it is really, really cool.

Is it possible to play this with the standard desktop UI for the Magic games? The battlefield UI seems to be the mobile/Android one, which works well for touchscreens but feels clunky to me compared to the desktop UI. I much prefer the desktop UI with its dockable/resizable panels.

A minor cosmetic suggestion: When the rewards pop up, when the backs are visible, the card shows the rounded edge. When it flips, it is just a picture with sharp corners. It'd be cool to add the rounded border.
rikimbo

Postby RanDomino » 12 Nov 2021, 01:36

Initial thoughts:
Definitely agree that it would be preferable to use the desktop UI. Still mostly playable as-is. The deck editor seems slightly broken (the buttons just to the left of the Inventory button seem only semi-functional and it was hard to figure out how to modify my deck).

Is the Oracle text available in-game?

Probably too many stores in each town. Two stores would be more appropriate- one of the local terrain's color and one other type. Maybe even just one in villages and two in cities.

Love the graphics and music. Excellent production value. The little animations are a great touch.

Card prices will need to be sorted out, of course. Adding those random wilderness locations will be a big help. These seem like things that non-technical people like myself could possibly help with and make ideas for.

Overall this is a tremendous achievement already and I'll definitely be paying attention!
RanDomino

Postby Bog Wraith » 14 Nov 2021, 16:55

Game is a bit more stable and not crashing after saves when cards are added to deck as it was earlier. However, the game still crashes allot after a duel is completed. I've lost out on gaining new cards by having this happen. Using the latest Forge build as of 1.6.47.21111.
Still not playable on a Mac as the java file does not open the game.

Would like to see if we could sell cards in the villages as many of the ones I have are cards I won't ever use and can use the money to purchase new cards. To make it easier to implement this, make the cards worth half of what the purchase price is when we sell them.

Also, can a record of our won/loss duel results be made for the different creatures we encounter within the game?

Agree with my fellow two Adventurers above that the desktop GUI would be most welcomed!

I continue to be impressed with this app and look forward to seeing it evolve! 8)
'Twas in the bogs of Cannelbrae
My mate did meet an early grave
'Twas nothing left for us to save
In the peat-filled bogs of Cannelbrae.
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Bog Wraith » 15 Nov 2021, 20:57

I don't like to double post but I just wanted to say that the game continues to crash at different times. It now crashes when exiting a village after looking or buying cards.

I love this game but for me at least, it's just too unstable. I now am using 1.6.47.21115.

I'll keep my eye on this and will try a newer version down the road a bit. Continue working on this because you have a great app that is tons of fun!
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Fregnor » 16 Nov 2021, 03:20

This is a neat project. I have been having fun playing it.

I feel dumb having to ask this, but how do you remove cards from your deck in the deck editor? I have only figured out how to add them. I assume that it is possible to move cards from your main deck to your sideboard or inventory.

EDIT: I discovered that double-clicking can move a card from the main deck to the inventory. I have not figured out how to build a sideboard yet.

I cannot find an ingame list of controls (which keys do what) or a readme file or other documentation on how to play the game.
Fregnor

Postby Grimm » 16 Nov 2021, 12:59

Game is a bit more stable and not crashing after saves when cards are added to deck as it was earlier. However, the game still crashes allot after a duel is completed. I've lost out on gaining new cards by having this happen. Using the latest Forge build as of 1.6.47.21111.
If the game crashes, then please attach your log file.
Should be in
%APPDATA%/Forge (Presse WIN+R enter "%APPDATA%/Forge" and copy the forge.log file)
If the problem is related to you save file then add the files under
%APPDATA%/adventure/Shandalar

Would like to see if we could sell cards in the villages as many of the ones I have are cards I won't ever use and can use the money to purchase new cards. To make it easier to implement this, make the cards worth half of what the purchase price is when we sell them.
This is in the pipeline, but this could take a while to make a GUI for this.

Card prices will need to be sorted out, of course. Adding those random wilderness locations will be a big help. These seem like things that non-technical people like myself could possibly help with and make ideas for.
Yes the prices are just bound to the rarity right now.
I tried to document how to add/alter content there
https://git.cardforge.org/Grimm/forge/-/wikis/Adventure-creation
A minor cosmetic suggestion: When the rewards pop up, when the backs are visible, the card shows the rounded edge. When it flips, it is just a picture with sharp corners. It'd be cool to add the rounded border.
I know... there are some settings to do this in forge, but I did not find the right usage yet.

Is it possible to play this with the standard desktop UI for the Magic games? The battlefield UI seems to be the mobile/Android one, which works well for touchscreens but feels clunky to me compared to the desktop UI. I much prefer the desktop UI with its dockable/resizable panels.
I can not render the desktop UI in the OpenGL context, so the mobile UI is mandatory. There should be more improvements for mouse/keyboard controls in the future.

Love the graphics and music. Excellent production value. The little animations are a great touch.
All the graphics are done by
IKnowKingRabbit https://iknowkingrabbit.itch.io/
I just did some adjustments.

Also, can a record of our won/loss duel results be made for the different creatures we encounter within the game?
keeping track of the win loss ratio on each enemy is a good idea, I will look into it.
Still not playable on a Mac as the java file does not open the game.
No idea what the problem with Mac is, I can not test it.
Does nothing happens when you run the .command file?
Grimm

Postby Fregnor » 17 Nov 2021, 03:54

I have been very impressed with the stability of the game. I had heard about all the crashing and was worried. But I have been playing a lot for a couple of days, and I have not had a single crash or freeze.

One bug I have is that if I play awhile, I lose the ability to access the pulldown menu where you add basic lands. Nothing happens when you click on the spot with the three dots and the pulldown menu does not appear. If I exit the game and load it up again, the pulldown menu is available again.

One bug or design issue I have encountered is that in the graveyard dungeons in the swamp, two of the three opponents only have 1 life point, which seems ridiculously weak compared to most opponents which have like 8-19 life points.

But I am really having a good time.
Fregnor

Postby Grimm » 17 Nov 2021, 10:44

Yes the dungeon in the swamp is just a demo now (and has still some bugs).

Not sure if I even wants that the player can add basic lands to the deck for free, but right now it would be probably to annoying to switch colors and find all lands in the wilds
Grimm

Postby Bog Wraith » 17 Nov 2021, 21:20

Grimm wrote:
If the game crashes, then please attach your log file.
Should be in
%APPDATA%/Forge (Presse WIN+R enter "%APPDATA%/Forge" and copy the forge.log file)
If the problem is related to you save file then add the files under
%APPDATA%/adventure/Shandalar
I did not realize that your app generated a Log file as when Forge has a problem, it automatically pops a crash log window on the screen which you can then send to them directly.

I included the Log file and the 2 saved game files in the zip below.

I meant to ask before, is it possible to use the Forge Duel UI as it works very well and we're all used to it. Is it possible to use more of the Forge UI overall within your Adventure since it is included with the Forge app? The interactive map and other parts could still be outside of Forge and continue to have it's own UI, but deck building and the duels themselves would be more stable and familiar for us Forge veteran players.
Not sure if you could do this, but I thought I should ask. :)
Attachments
Adventure.zip
Adventure Log & Saved Files.
(1.44 MiB) Downloaded 184 times
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Grimm » 18 Nov 2021, 00:34

The game crashes in the deck editor, with a feature that should not be there. I am just working on it to remove those buttons, saving is not necessary and most of those items in the menu will not work.

I can not render the desktop UI in the OpenGL context, so the mobile UI is mandatory. There should be more improvements for mouse/keyboard controls in the future.
Grimm

Postby Bog Wraith » 18 Nov 2021, 04:31

I played a duel and won. Then I got my cards. After that I changed the deck with some of the new cards I got then went to battle another creature. I won that as well, but as the map screen comes back after the duel, before I even get my winnings for that duel, the game crashes completely back to the desktop.
This happens allot so it's not just in the deck editor.

Here is the log file for that crash.
Attachments
forge.log
(5.3 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Grimm » 18 Nov 2021, 14:08

I fixed some bugs related to this yesterday, the crash in log is not exactly the same but may be it is related.
There where some racing conditions there, hopefully it is fixed.
Should be in the next snapshot
Grimm

Postby Bog Wraith » 18 Nov 2021, 22:59

Posted below is a screenshot of one of the Villages with all the shops. Whenever my Adventurer approaches any but the first shop, the game simply crashes completely to my desktop.

I include the Log file generated from one of the crashes from a shop I approached. It seems some of the problems were fixed a bit but there seem to be new ones to replace the older ones. In short, the game is crashing allot and it is tough to really test the game out because I can never get more then a duel or two completed before the game shuts down.

It's frustrating because you've got a real great game idea here and I LOVE the Dungeon effects with the specially designed cards and the rooms within the Dungeons! 8)

I'll keep testing every new snapshot until these issues can be ironed out. This is a great project and it's a hell of a lot of fun to play so anything I can do to assist in crushing these bugs will be something I very much want to do to help! :)
Attachments
forge0.log
(1.6 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Village Shops.png
Bog Wraith
Global Mod 1 (Ret)

Postby Fregnor » 19 Nov 2021, 03:34

I am playing the release version rather than the latest snapshot, but I am totally amazed at the excellent performance of your game. Forge has the known problem where the longer you play, the slower, balkier, and laggier it gets. Eventually it freezes up. If you exit and restart, it is right back to fast, smooth, and responsive performance.

But somehow, you have avoided the progressive slowdown issue in your game. I have never once seen it slow down and become less responsive, jerky, and annoying.

My machine is performing differently than those of some other people on the thread. Still not a single crash or freeze-up. The only issue like that I have encountered is the pulldown menus and the right-click accessible options becoming inoperative for the rest of the play session after playing for a short time.
Fregnor

PreviousNext

Return to Forge