It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:17

Text Size

Forge Breaking Computer Shortcut Keys

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Forge Breaking Computer Shortcut Keys

Postby Narwhal » 12 Feb 2022, 02:09

My OS is Manjaro KDE, if that matters at all.

So, I don't know how else to describe this other than what the title suggests. The use of Forge breaks the shortcut keys on my computer, more specifically it seems to break them when you download card art. It doesn't happen everytime you download art, nor does it happen exclusively when you download art, but it happens the most frequently.

What I mean by "breaking" the shortcut keys, is that for some unknown reason my computer will start behaving as if various shortcuts are being pressed(when they definitely aren't). For example, there was one instance where if I pressed the spacebar it would open up krunner(system search), god knows why, especially considering I've disabled it as much as is possible. It will also occasionally kill the scroll ability of the wheel on my mouse. Most frequently though, it will only recognize the use of the f key and ignore all other inputs. When pressing the f key it will open up the "file" menu from the toolbar, even when said programs don't naturally have a toolbar, such as discord. This completely breaks my keyboard, because I can't type anything at all, period, full stop. The only fix that I can think of is to restart the computer, this does fix it of course, but I feel like this shouldn't be happening in the first place.

I know without a doubt that it is Forge causing this, because it only ever happens when using Forge or I notice it after I've used Forge. I'm just wondering if this is a known issue and for whatever reason can't be fixed; is/isn't a known issue, but can be fixed by doing "x;" or if this has never happened to anyone but myself? Though I do recall an instance where I directed a friend to install Forge and while he was downloading the card art his computer started to behave strangely while he was using Affinity, zooming when it wasn't supposed to, as though the shortcuts were being used...
Narwhal

Re: Forge Breaking Computer Shortcut Keys

Postby Narwhal » 02 Mar 2022, 14:28

103 views and not a single reply. Not even a "No, this has never happened to me." I don't really know what I expected though...
Narwhal

Postby Marek14 » 03 Mar 2022, 07:37

If the "f" key opens your file, I suspect you got the Alt key stuck. It sometimes happens to me, I press Alt a few times and it gets fixed. Would that work in your case?
Marek14
Tester

Postby Narwhal » 05 Mar 2022, 17:32

Marek14 wrote:If the "f" key opens your file, I suspect you got the Alt key stuck. It sometimes happens to me, I press Alt a few times and it gets fixed. Would that work in your case?
It has nothing to do with the physical keys on my keyboard. The shortcuts behave as if they were being activated, when they aren't. This only ever happens specifically when I use Forge and/or download card images via Forge. It never, not even a little bit, happens at any other time. So, it's quite clearly linked to the Forge program, and I know that they say causality ≠ causation, but sometimes it does.
Narwhal

Postby Marek14 » 06 Mar 2022, 07:51

I didn't mean that the key got stuck physically, just that there was some bug that causes it to constantly send a signal. Manual activation sometimes stops that.
Marek14
Tester

Postby Narwhal » 06 Mar 2022, 08:59

Apologies, my mistake. I guess I'll try this next time it happens, but the bug isn't limited to only shortcut keys, it also takes out the scroll ability of my mouse wheel (seems to happen on a coin flip for these two) - the weird spacebar opening krunner, while potentially the most annoying, only happened the once.
Narwhal

Return to Forge