It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:53

Text Size

Playing against double stacked decks isn't fun.

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Playing against double stacked decks isn't fun.

Postby hizzard » 03 Sep 2022, 05:49

Sorry, it's just not. Let me sit you down at a table and tell you that this guy is about to get the most amazing hand because that's specifically how he ordered his cards. But hang on, he's going to "shuffle" your deck for you, too. And you're going to go legit, 12 rounds with only 3 lands to show for it.

Not only that, but it's going to happen over and over again. It doesn't matter what deck you bring, we're going to give you the worst hand every time.

Does that sound like fun?

Guys. I want to enjoy the game. Really, I do. I could even handle that it's a buggy mess that crashes every ten minutes, but don't blatantly cheat us like that. That's not okay. Add a challenge mode if you HAVE to have stacked decks.

Thanks.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220902-222016_Forge.jpg
hizzard

Re: Playing against double stacked decks isn't fun.

Postby HedgeWizard » 30 Nov 2022, 18:54

That is very strange. I play on my desktop computer a lot and my experience is different than yours. The hands that are drawn seem very random. I draw terrible hands, normal hands, and wonderful hands. My opponent does too. Sometimes I get mana screwed or mana flooded. My opponent does too. Sometimes I have to mulligan three times. My opponent does too.

Is anyone else having the experience of always getting terrible cards like the deck is stacked?
HedgeWizard

Postby Fizanko » 02 Dec 2022, 17:48

Card games have a heavy "luck" factor with them, and MTG is no different (and sometime even worse depending on the decks used).
I have been mana deprived a lot (not getting enough lands in my hands to play my good cards) , or mana flooded too much (so many lands getting in my hands instead of actual useful cards) , or playing decks that require a specific combo of cards to unleash their main attack and never ever getting those cards....

Sometime i observed the AI getting spanked by its own cards too, recently i had a match in which the AI got to only play 1 creature, meaning his hand was either full of lands or full of sorcery/instant/etc... but nothing that the AI could do to avoid getting trashed.

So yeah it can happen you face impossible odds (and AI getting all the good cards he needs at the good time while you're getting the worst possible hands), the same it can happen you get too easy battles (when luck favor you and destroy the AI chances).

But what was the deck you are using and what was the AI deck ? (assuming you didn't made those decks yourself).
I'm asking because not all the preconstructed decks available are strong, some are in fact rather weak (often those "starter decks" published by WotC to promote their new sets are very weak on purpose as the goal of WotC is to make money of you buying more card packs in the hope you'll make stronger decks) while some are strong to silly overpowered.
And balanced decks aren't really a thing (those "duel decks" series by example despite supposed to be balanced against each other are rarely actually balanced there's always a deck stronger than the other as the weaker one relies more on luck by getting their gimmick card combination to appear at the correct time to stand a chance)

In a quest mode long time ago i couldn't manage to build any deck that was getting me some regular win and even got through a long defeat spree against the easy AI, so i had enough and just bought in the shop the "Speed Scorch" (40 cards) deck, and that got me a lot of consecutive wins against the easy AI in the quests.

Now if you play against some hard or more AI in the quest mode, you'll often notice they have those overpowered/banned cards in their decks, nothing really fun if you're interested by balanced play as it forces you to get overpowered/broken cards too in order to even the odds.
probably outdated by now so you should avoid : Innistrad world for Forge (updated 17/11/2014)
Duel Decks for Forge - Forge custom decks (updated 25/10/2014)
Fizanko
Tester

Postby BlueTemplar » 04 Jul 2023, 09:26

Because software shufflers are typically "perfect" (unless bugged of course), you might experience worse hands in software than IRL.

In fact even WotC seems to recognize this is a problem, since on Arena, in (all formats'?) Best of One games, they first pre-generate 3 decks shuffles and hands in parallel, then have the program pick the hand among these that is the most "typical" in terms of land/nonland ratio.
BlueTemplar

Postby polinkuer12 » 27 Dec 2023, 10:22

BlueTemplar wrote:Because software shufflers are typically "perfect" (unless bugged of course), you might experience worse hands in software than IRL.

In fact even WotC seems to recognize this is a problem, since on Arena, in (all formats'?) Best of One games, they first pre-generate 3 decks shuffles and hands in parallel, then have the program pick the hand among these that is the most "typical" in terms of land/nonland ratio.
I wonder if they will release new updates to fix this situation?
polinkuer12

Postby Brentguirre » 03 Jan 2024, 03:45

Since the software selects the hand that is the most "typical" in terms of land/nonland ratio from the three decks of shuffles and hands that are pre-generated in parallel for Best of One games on Arena (in all formats? ), even WotC seems to be aware of the issue.
space bar clicker
Brentguirre

Return to Forge