It is currently 02 May 2024, 04:56

Text Size

Guess I'll make an Error Report Post That No One Will Read

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Guess I'll make an Error Report Post That No One Will Read

Postby Narwhal » 26 Oct 2022, 00:30

Here's hoping anyone from the dev team still reads posts in general... So, I was playing a game of Commander earlier today - wait... that's not right, this error is from September 14, 2022 now - and everything was working until I hit an error that caused a soft-lock and I was forced to exit the game. I didn't really think anything of it since that happens from time to time and just moved on. A few hours later I started up Forge and went to play another game of Commander and I am met with an immediate error of some kind that completely prevents me from playing any games. (I don't know if the first error is related, but figured it was worth mentioning.) I was first using forge-gui-desktop-1.6.54.902.SNAPSHOT when I encountered this issue. I restarted and it happened again. I then downloaded the latest release forge-gui-desktop-1.6.54.912.SNAPSHOT and the same thing happened there. I am now using forge-gui-desktop-1.6.54.1023.SNAPSHOT and the issue still persists. My OS is Manjaro if that matters at all.

Code: Select all
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at forge.screens.match.views.VStack.updateStack(VStack.java:128)
   at forge.screens.match.controllers.CStack.update(CStack.java:45)
   at forge.screens.match.CMatchUI.initialize(CMatchUI.java:676)
   at forge.control.FControl.setCurrentScreen(FControl.java:342)
   at forge.control.FControl.setCurrentScreen(FControl.java:305)
   at forge.screens.match.CMatchUI.openView(CMatchUI.java:1080)
   at forge.gamemodes.match.HostedMatch.startGame(HostedMatch.java:229)
   at forge.gamemodes.match.HostedMatch.startMatch(HostedMatch.java:141)
   at forge.gamemodes.match.HostedMatch.startMatch(HostedMatch.java:103)
   at forge.gamemodes.match.GameLobby$1.run(GameLobby.java:541)
   at forge.screens.home.VLobby$2.actionPerformed(VLobby.java:216)
   at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1967)
   at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2308)
   at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:405)
   at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:262)
   at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:279)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6635)
   at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3342)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6400)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2263)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:5011)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2321)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4843)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4918)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4547)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4488)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2307)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2772)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:772)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:721)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:715)
   at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
   at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:85)
   at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:95)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:745)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:743)
   at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:85)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:742)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)
EDIT: I will say that everything works (I think...) when going through the Adventure version and selecting "Classic," however, that is basically unplayable due to its - in my opinion - terrible UI layout. It may be fine or even great on a cell phone, but on the desktop it's crushed and feels cluttered and is practically unreadable... Well, it's probably not that bad, though it's still pretty bad and it's definitely not something that I want to do. I just want to use the desktop version.
Narwhal

Re: Guess I'll make an Error Report Post That No One Will Re

Postby BlueTemplar » 30 Oct 2022, 21:11

Have you tried to change the resolution in the adventure settings (including trying both fullscreen and windowed modes ?)
BlueTemplar

Postby Narwhal » 31 Oct 2022, 06:51

BlueTemplar wrote:Have you tried to change the resolution in the adventure settings (including trying both fullscreen and windowed modes ?)
I don't want to run fullscreen as that will prevent me from using anything else on my computer, since I won't have access to, well, anything but Forge. As far as the resolution, 1080p is actually slightly too large and is partially obscured by my taskbar, so buttons can't be clicked. The next level down is 900-something and is playable, but I don't like it, nor do I want to use the mobile version at all. The desktop is infinitely superior as far as what is displayed and how it's displayed.

It just doesn't really make any sense as to why the desktop version instantly errors out when starting a game and yet the mobile version is fine. I would love to ask about this in the discord, since it seems like that's the only thing the devs pay attention to, yet I cannot since they have restrictive validation...
Narwhal

Postby kevlahnota » 31 Oct 2022, 07:10

Narwhal wrote:Here's hoping anyone from the dev team still reads posts in general... So, I was playing a game of Commander earlier today - wait... that's not right, this error is from September 14, 2022 now - and everything was working until I hit an error that caused a soft-lock and I was forced to exit the game. I didn't really think anything of it since that happens from time to time and just moved on. A few hours later I started up Forge and went to play another game of Commander and I am met with an immediate error of some kind that completely prevents me from playing any games. (I don't know if the first error is related, but figured it was worth mentioning.) I was first using forge-gui-desktop-1.6.54.902.SNAPSHOT when I encountered this issue. I restarted and it happened again. I then downloaded the latest release forge-gui-desktop-1.6.54.912.SNAPSHOT and the same thing happened there. I am now using forge-gui-desktop-1.6.54.1023.SNAPSHOT and the issue still persists. My OS is Manjaro if that matters at all.

at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1967)
   at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2308)
   at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:405)
   at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:262)
   at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:279)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4918)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4547)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4488)
   at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:95)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
   at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
EDIT: I will say that everything works (I think...) when going through the Adventure version and selecting "Classic," however, that is basically unplayable due to its - in my opinion - terrible UI layout. It may be fine or even great on a cell phone, but on the desktop it's crushed and feels cluttered and is practically unreadable... Well, it's probably not that bad, though it's still pretty bad and it's definitely not something that I want to do. I just want to use the desktop version.
latest snapshot (1031x) don't work?
kevlahnota
Programmer

Postby Narwhal » 31 Oct 2022, 08:16

kevlahnota wrote:
Narwhal wrote:Here's hoping anyone from the dev team still reads posts in general... So, I was playing a game of Commander earlier today - wait... that's not right, this error is from September 14, 2022 now - and everything was working until I hit an error that caused a soft-lock and I was forced to exit the game. I didn't really think anything of it since that happens from time to time and just moved on. A few hours later I started up Forge and went to play another game of Commander and I am met with an immediate error of some kind that completely prevents me from playing any games. (I don't know if the first error is related, but figured it was worth mentioning.) I was first using forge-gui-desktop-1.6.54.902.SNAPSHOT when I encountered this issue. I restarted and it happened again. I then downloaded the latest release forge-gui-desktop-1.6.54.912.SNAPSHOT and the same thing happened there. I am now using forge-gui-desktop-1.6.54.1023.SNAPSHOT and the issue still persists. My OS is Manjaro if that matters at all.

latest snapshot (1031x) don't work?
Every single snapshot returns the same error. I've now tried three different versions since the original error. Also, thank you for responding. I'm glad to see a dev. :)
Last edited by Narwhal on 31 Oct 2022, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
Narwhal

Postby Narwhal » 31 Oct 2022, 08:19

This is the current snapshot and its error.

at forge.screens.match.views.VCombat.updateCombat(VCombat.java:110)
   at forge.screens.match.controllers.CCombat.update(CCombat.java:55)
Narwhal

Postby kevlahnota » 31 Oct 2022, 09:26

Narwhal wrote:This is the current snapshot and its error.

weird... did you try resetting match layout?
kevlahnota
Programmer

Postby Narwhal » 31 Oct 2022, 09:48

kevlahnota wrote:
Narwhal wrote:This is the current snapshot and its error.

weird... did you try resetting match layout?
I did not even think to do that... I didn't realize that would affect this error. I reset the layout and I'm once again able to start a game. Thank you for the help, though it's a bit embarrassing that it was such a simple fix.
Narwhal

Postby BlueTemplar » 31 Oct 2022, 10:41

Narwhal wrote:As far as the resolution, 1080p is actually slightly too large and is partially obscured by my taskbar, so buttons can't be clicked.
Yeah, it would be nice for a proper resolution support... (and not just be assuming that everyone runs 16:9, AFAIK this is even less true on mobile ?)

Seems to be fixed now, but for those cases, Borderless Gaming tends to work great !
(With sometimes moving the taskbar in a vertical position...)
BlueTemplar

Return to Forge