It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 04:25

Text Size

Card with ability to start in your opening hand?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Card with ability to start in your opening hand?

Postby orwasaker » 20 May 2023, 00:27

Is it possible to script a card with the ability to always be in your opening hand? say, an ability that if it's in your deck at the start of the duel, it adds itself to your hand

Or even better: can we give cards abilities that can be activated from the deck?

P.S: not that you should care why I need this but, just know it isn't for the purpose of creating "absurdly broken cards"...I like making rule-changing cards and I need them to always be available

I tried looking at Commander cards, but obviously those cards have a keyword in their script that can't be applied in a normal duel (non commander duel) and besides, I'd still need 3 mana to cast the spell

I found some cards that have the ability to reveal themselves from the deck and do something, like Arcane Savant but I guess those cards' effect only works in some sort of draft format (sorry I'm generally an MTG noob) so adding them to my deck doesn't trigger their reveal effect, therefore I couldn't make use of that effect at all

I even tried changing the "opening hand" effect which is scripted like this:
K:MayEffectFromOpeningHand:ExileCard

to the one used by Arcane Savant which is literally the same except changing "hand" to "deck"
K:MayEffectFromOpeningDeck:DBReveal

But then that caused the card (in this case Time Sidewalk) to just crash the game every time the duel started
orwasaker

Re: Card with ability to start in your opening hand?

Postby BlueTemplar » 04 Jul 2023, 10:07

If commander isn't to your liking, you can always just disable the Deck Conformance setting, and add a way bigger number of these cards in your deck than 4 ?
BlueTemplar

Postby JadynHayes » 01 Sep 2023, 08:41

Maybe, but it's getting tricky due to the strict game mechanics that doesn't really allow us the luxury to play around with these kinds of mechanics as easily as we'd hope, but that's the fun part. As for card abilities from the deck – that's a twist. Again, maybe achievable, but would need some outside-the-box thinking, and probably more coding expertise than can be interactively provided even here.
JadynHayes

Postby Waniciala » 05 Sep 2023, 09:38

Maybe, but it's getting tricky due to the strict game mechanics that doesn't really allow us the luxury to play around with these kinds of mechanics as easily as we'd hope, but that's the fun part. As for card abilities from the deck – that's a twist. Again, maybe achievable, but would need some outside-the-box thinking, and probably more coding expertise than can be interactively provided even here. Regarding the draft format - you got it absolutely right. Some cards, like Arcane Savant, specifically state that they only work in a certain format. In a regular scenario they wouldn't reveal themselves, which is why adding them into your deck wouldn't trigger the effect. Btw, guys, what do you think about cash app games? What are your favorite ones?
Waniciala

Postby ervinha » 12 Sep 2023, 09:04

In digital card games like Hearthstone and Legends of Runeterra, there are cards with effects that activate if they are kept in your starting/mulligan hand.
ervinha

Postby ervinha » 13 Sep 2023, 08:46

If Gemstone Caverns is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield with a luck counter on it.
ervinha

Postby Konliner » 24 Feb 2024, 01:51

ervinha wrote:If Gemstone Caverns is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield with a luck counter on it.
I always believe in luck!
Konliner

Return to Forge