It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:41

Text Size

AI attacking and blocking Observations

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: AI attacking and blocking Observations

Postby Jaedayr » 31 Dec 2010, 21:56

AI played Feral Lightning but did not attack with all three tokens, only two of them attacked. I had a 3/3 and a 5/5 to block so I could only have blocked two of them, not sure why they did not all attack.
Jaedayr
Tester

Postby Professor » 02 Jan 2011, 16:05

AI had created about 25 squirrel tokens, but never attacked for lethal damage, when I only could have blocked and killed 3.

In another game AI created a dozen elf warrior tokens but wouldn't attack for lethal damage until his smallest elf was big enough to kill my biggest blockers. Finally, he attacked for about 100.

If it matters, I'm on r4609, but I think this has been for a while.
-------------------------------------
PostCount=PostCount+1
Professor

Postby timmermac » 04 Jan 2011, 21:42

Wow... The computer is really dumb. I should be dead right about now with what the computer has out.
Attachments
I Should Be Dead Right About Now.PNG
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby timmermac » 10 Jan 2011, 00:01

The computer's decision making regarding attacking and blocking is really not the best. It's had a pair of Scute Mob out for a while now, and could have killed me at any time. Now my Dragonmaster Outcast is going to start pumping out tokens, and I can start playing dragons.

Edit: oops... not enough land yet for the Outcast to start doing his thing... but I can still start casting dragons. :mrgreen:
Attachments
Waiting For An Engraved Hand Written Invitation.PNG
"I just woke up, haven't had coffee, let alone a pee in 7 days, and I find out you stole my ass and made a ...mini-me! Carter, I should be irked currently, yes?" - Jack O'Neill
timmermac
Tester

Postby koravain » 12 Jan 2011, 00:09

I had out a Jace with 1 loyalty counter on it and one available defender. The CPU attacked me with 5 creatures and all 5 of them targetted Jace. It could have dealt lethal damage to me if all 5 had attacked me, but even regardless of that a "smart" AI would've only had 2 creatures at most attack Jace (in case I defended one) and the other three attack me.
koravain

Postby lazylockie » 18 Jan 2011, 16:48

I don't know if this fits exactly here, but could you make Bitterblossom, Elspeth, Knight-Errant and Awakening Zone tokens the first chump blockers of non-tramplers? Even if AI's life isn't low, chump blocking with those tokens is essentially free.

Besides a Faerie deck, which would want the Faerie tokens, I think those are the primary chump blockers and it seems they keep accumulating and do absolutely nothing. Eldrazi Spawns also don't block, although it seems they are sometimes used to pay some costs.

On an additional note, IMO Eldrazi Spawns after blocking a creature should immediately be sacrificed, since it'll never trigger lifelink and other stuff.
lazylockie

Postby friarsol » 28 Jan 2011, 04:57

My opponent is at 2. I attack with 3 creatures a 3/3, 2/1, 1/1 flyer. AI has a 2/2 flyer, and a regular 2/2. Instead of trading with the 2/1 and chump blocking the 3/3. He trades with the 2/1 and kills the 1/1, and dies in the process.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Sloth » 28 Jan 2011, 12:15

friarsol wrote:My opponent is at 2. I attack with 3 creatures a 3/3, 2/1, 1/1 flyer. AI has a 2/2 flyer, and a regular 2/2. Instead of trading with the 2/1 and chump blocking the 3/3. He trades with the 2/1 and kills the 1/1, and dies in the process.
After the next beta is released, I will try to find some time to tweak AI combat some more.
Sloth
Programmer

Postby lazylockie » 06 Feb 2011, 03:58

Sloth, do you know if AI is taking into consideration First Strike (coupled with multiple blockers) when blocking?

Say, when AI has two 2/2s First Strike and I'm attacking with a N/4 creature without First Strike. AI could block with both 2/2s and lose nothing in the process. Look at the example:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
lazylockie

Postby Masher8 » 06 Feb 2011, 10:40

I can also report a deep unwillingness of the AI to attack when it has superiority. Even in simple situations, for example two 2/1s against my own 2/1 flyer, both players on 20 life very early in the game, the AI doesn't attack.

If I block I lose 2 life and the AI has the only creature left on the board. If I don't block I lose 4 life and I can only hit back for 2. It seems like the AI should be attacking me.
Masher8

Postby Sloth » 06 Feb 2011, 12:29

lazylockie wrote:Sloth, do you know if AI is taking into consideration First Strike (coupled with multiple blockers) when blocking?

Say, when AI has two 2/2s First Strike and I'm attacking with a N/4 creature without First Strike. AI could block with both 2/2s and lose nothing in the process. Look at the example:
The AI would only block with both if one blocker would also survive alone. Gangblocks are only supported in corner cases.

Masher8 wrote:I can also report a deep unwillingness of the AI to attack when it has superiority. Even in simple situations, for example two 2/1s against my own 2/1 flyer, both players on 20 life very early in the game, the AI doesn't attack.

If I block I lose 2 life and the AI has the only creature left on the board. If I don't block I lose 4 life and I can only hit back for 2. It seems like the AI should be attacking me.
The attacking AI is still very old. I didn't get to recoding it. It's on my Todo list though.
Sloth
Programmer

Postby Masher8 » 06 Feb 2011, 16:30

Sloth wrote:The attacking AI is still very old. I didn't get to recoding it. It's on my Todo list though.
I've been looking at the source today, and I have some ideas that might improve things. I dont't want to step on anybody's toes, but if I get round to having a crack at it myself, and I get any success, I'll let you know what I've done and you can consider it for inclusion.
Masher8

Postby Sloth » 06 Feb 2011, 16:53

Masher8 wrote:I've been looking at the source today, and I have some ideas that might improve things. I dont't want to step on anybody's toes, but if I get round to having a crack at it myself, and I get any success, I'll let you know what I've done and you can consider it for inclusion.
Please try to improve the AI attacking code. I didn't really finish completing the blocking code. It would be a great help.

PS: You can have commiter status if you send a PM to DennisBergkamp.
Sloth
Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 06 Feb 2011, 18:30

I am with Sloth on your offer to try to improve the AI attacking code. We are a good group of people but we realize that no one man can do it all by himself. I think that Sloth was mainly trying to improve the blocking code, I'm sure that he would appreciate another set of hands with the attacking code.

This topic provides a good place to get input from the various testers. :D
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Masher8 » 07 Feb 2011, 15:59

OK, I can't make any promises but if I manage to improve things I will certainly contribute the code.
Masher8

PreviousNext

Return to Forge