It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 07:58

Text Size

Can I make a let's play of this?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Can I make a let's play of this?

Postby clyspe » 20 Apr 2012, 00:58

I'm not sure the legality of the game, but if I had the developer's approval I'd go ahead with it and apologize if Wizards didn't like it. In my eyes, Forge is criminally unknown, and I'd like to get some more attention on it. I would understand if you guys said know, I can think of a couple reasons you'd refuse. So may I?
clyspe

Re: Can I make a let's play of this?

Postby Chris H. » 20 Apr 2012, 02:35

I can only answer for myself. I feel that forge already has a sizable user base. Anyone with a real interest has been able to find it without us having an advertisement available to draw in additional people.

Too much advertising could create problems.

The people who have contributed to this project over the last few years live a busy life outside of forge and it is not easy for us to set aside time for developing this project.

I can not honestly think of any good reasons for doing an advertisement campaign. :)

We have a steady stream of new users that find forge and the web forum without an extensive advertisement campaign. And occasionally, a new dev will step in for awhile and help with the project.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby clyspe » 20 Apr 2012, 02:43

Okay, that seems fair. If it changes anything though, I'm not a huge LPer or anything, just starting up. I could preface episodes saying that forge is 'as is' and a small time game. Why is too many new users a problem, by the way?
clyspe

Postby friarsol » 20 Apr 2012, 02:50

clyspe wrote:Okay, that seems fair. If it changes anything though, I'm not a huge LPer or anything, just starting up. I could preface episodes saying that forge is 'as is' and a small time game. Why is too many new users a problem, by the way?
Too many users isn't a problem, Wizards turning a scornful eye on us potentially is. No reason to poke a sleeping bear right?
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby Doublestrike » 23 Apr 2012, 05:02

@friarsol - scornful, is how they look at us now. A "vengeful" or "lawyerful" eye, now that's a problem. :) Seems like the bear is lying there, dozing, with one eye half open, considering "is it worth waking up for this?"

====

Where can one look at the stats for our user base, anyway? Are they publicly available somewhere?
---
A joke is a very serious thing.
Doublestrike
UI Programmer

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 04 May 2012, 15:40

Doublestrike, not public.. but webalizer reports that in April, release 1.2.6 was downloaded 5058 times. 1.2.4 was downloaded 7364 times in March
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby Doublestrike » 09 May 2012, 00:08

Wow - I didn't know there were that many users. Groovy.
---
A joke is a very serious thing.
Doublestrike
UI Programmer

Postby mtgrares » 09 May 2012, 17:02

clyspe wrote:I'm not sure the legality of the game, but if I had the developer's approval I'd go ahead with it and apologize if Wizards didn't like it. In my eyes, Forge is criminally unknown, and I'd like to get some more attention on it. I would understand if you guys said know, I can think of a couple reasons you'd refuse. So may I?
I can't really think of any reason, publicize Forge all you want. Theoretically the more publicity may generate another cease and desist email but who really knows. I think I’ve received two so far and it hasn’t killed Forge.

I probably should try to write another Star City Games article. They published one article about Forge years ago.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby friarsol » 09 May 2012, 17:19

mtgrares wrote:
clyspe wrote:I'm not sure the legality of the game, but if I had the developer's approval I'd go ahead with it and apologize if Wizards didn't like it. In my eyes, Forge is criminally unknown, and I'd like to get some more attention on it. I would understand if you guys said know, I can think of a couple reasons you'd refuse. So may I?
I can't really think of any reason, publicize Forge all you want. Theoretically the more publicity may generate another cease and desist email but who really knows. I think I’ve received two so far and it hasn’t killed Forge.

I probably should try to write another Star City Games article. They published one article about Forge years ago.
I completely disagree. Wizards has been coming down hard on Mobile Apps and we shouldn't be putting our neck out for no particular reason. Word of mouth has been working just fine.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Postby mars501 » 17 May 2012, 16:55

I agree with Sol honestly, Wizards has started cracking down on a lot of things recently... they've just recently shut down two of the draft online programs I go to.. hate to see this die, then I'd be stuck with Wagic which is no where near as good.
mars501

Postby arashmickey » 08 Jun 2012, 09:56

I had the same idea, but I'd hate to find Forge disappeared from here. Making an LP increases the chances of that, and they would probably take down the LP too. It's not worth it in my opinion, so I'm out. Still, I'm glad people are finding their way here :)
arashmickey

Return to Forge