It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 21:01

Text Size

Card AI (Improvements) Requests

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: Card AI (Improvements) Requests

Postby Alastor » 26 Feb 2022, 12:18

If AI control Guardian of Solitude and cast a spirit spell, it gives flying to the creature with greater power it controls, even if that creature has flying already, and even if it controls other creatures with less power but without flying.
Alastor

Postby Alastor » 02 Mar 2022, 11:18

If AI controls Forge of Heroes, It use the abbility to put a +1/+1 in every commander that enters in battefield that turn, even if are my commander and even if my commander isn't a creature.
Alastor

Postby Alastor » 02 Mar 2022, 17:11

AI use +1 abbility of Mu Yanling, Celestial Wind in its own creatures, even if I have creatures in the battlefield.
Alastor

Postby Alastor » 04 Mar 2022, 15:53

If AI controls Mortarpod, it always equips in every creature it controls, and sacrifice them to do 1 damage. Even if it can do more damage attacking with that creature.
Alastor

Postby Alastor » 04 Mar 2022, 17:17

AI sacrifices Child of Thorns to give +1/+1 itself.
Alastor

Postby Alastor » 12 Apr 2022, 11:40

AI uses Haunting Voyage even if its graveyard is empty.
Alastor

Postby exaltedbreakfast » 16 Apr 2022, 04:16

Great work on this project so far - I'm very impressed!

I noticed an issue where I was playing against the A.I. and they had two artifacts on the field (Rogue's Gloves and Hammer of Purphorous) and no creatures. I cast Shenanigans to destroy Hammer of Purphorous and the A.I. then cast Reverberate and elected to destroy their own Rogue's Gloves. Note that I didn't have any artifacts on the field. I guess the A.I. should not have played this card!
exaltedbreakfast

Postby mrShickadance » 23 Jul 2022, 16:29

AI still says yes to taking Vexing Devil damage after it uses a removal spell on Vexing Devil. This creates an unfair match by making the AI use a spell AND take damage, which doesn't allow me to play test properly.
Can the AI check if Vexing Devil is still on the battlefield and say no to the damage if it's no longer there.
mrShickadance

Postby someguyinahat » 29 Aug 2022, 01:04

AI will tap Agadeem Occultist on cards that have a higher mana cost than the number of Allies, effectively tapping it for nothing.

AI will use Intercessor's Arrest on permanents where it would serve no purpose (such as Glass of the Guildpact.)

AI will kill itself using Search for Blex (this is most noteworthy in Commander if the AI has Blex, Vexing Pest as its commander.) More often than not, it will put all five cards into its hand, regardless of anything else including insufficient life.
someguyinahat

Postby Shoogle » 02 Sep 2022, 09:51

AI always casts Prismatic Ending for X=0, failing to remove any permanent with more than 1 CMC. It should pay the appropriate amount for X in the right colours needed. It should never cast PE on a permanent it doesn't have enough available mana/colours to successfully remove.

AI is extremely aggressive at invoking the elemental incarnations, wasting their effects:
  • It will sometimes choose to evoke an incarnation even when it has enough available mana to hard cast it. I suggest making AI prefer hard-casting if possible.
  • It will evoke Endurance for literally any reason. For example, in response to you cracking a fetchland on turn 1, in order to shuffle that single fetchland back into your library. I suggest either making the AI never evoke Endurance, or only do so in response to a spell or ability that targets a card in the graveyard such as Snapcaster Mage or Reanimate
  • It will evoke Solitude while at 20 life targeting a creature like Sakura Tribe Elder which can just sacrifice itself in response for full value. It will also do at the first moment it's possible, instead of waiting for e.g. the target to declare an attack. Ideally the AI would have have some minimum threshold of threat level to use the evoke on a given target, only evoking to remove a creature that either has a strong ability or has declared an attack for a significant portion of the AI's remaining health.
  • It will evoke Fury to remove a single 1-1 creature while at 20 life. I suggest only evoking Fury under a few scenarios: to remove 3+ targets, to remove at least ~3 CMC or ~4 power worth of targets, or when the AI has low hp.
I think generally, erring on the side of patience with the incarnations would be closer to optimal.

AI does not understand the evoke mechanic and will use instant speed removal (including evoking their own solitude) in response to the evoke sacrifice-on-ETB ability, effectively wasting their spell on a creature that was about to kill itself anyway. I suggest making the AI not try to remove a creature if the target has an evoke ability on the stack. Alternatively, some general improvements to AI timing to get it to favour using instant removal A) in response to a buff spell, enchantment, or equip ability B) after attacks are declared or C) at the end of the opponent's turn. Instead of just always casting it at the first available opportunity.

AI will sometimes go to its second main phase for no particular reason, then play a card which should be played in the first main phase (e.g. a haste creature, or something with a beneficial ability that triggers at the beginning of combat). This is probably a very difficult problem to solve. However, I think the AI's preference to play things after combat is often the cause of this mistake. So I suggest a simple improvement: to only apply this preference if the AI intends to actually attack. If the AI sees no profitable attacks, it should stay in its first main to play its cards, then go to combat.

AI will spend all of its mana to "Splinter Twin" combo with two copies of Reflection of Kiki-Jiki. The only problem is, it doesn't actually achieve anything unless they have some payoff like Blood Artist in play. Simplest change is probably to have the AI not target RoKJ with token copies of RoJK. It will miss out on some sweet niche scenarios where making 10 tapped 2-2s is useful, but that's probably worth it to prevent it from wasting all of its turns if it has two RoKJs in play.
Shoogle

Postby BloodReyvyn » 06 Sep 2022, 22:29

When using Mirrorwing Dragon in my deck, the AI targeted it with Terminate, then copied it for all of MY creatures and wiped my entire board. That card makes you target every other creature YOU control that it could target, not its controller's other creatures.
"There's an experience worse than blindness - it's the certainty that your vision is perfect and the horror that there's no world around you to see."
BloodReyvyn

Postby dredop » 10 Sep 2022, 16:46

AI first attacks with Battlegrace Angel alone gaining 5 life (4 from the Angel + 1 from exalted) and then (in 2nd main phase) casts Sanguine Bond, where it should be in reverse order thus draining me also 5 life.
dredop

Postby someguyinahat » 11 Sep 2022, 01:58

AI will use Maze of Ith on its own creatures for no good reason. Example: it had an 8/6 token, attacked with it, then immediately mazed it so it untaps and does no damage. My only defense was a 3/3.
someguyinahat

Postby dredop » 21 Sep 2022, 07:32

1. AI has Selfless Spirit and Bygone Bishop on the battlefield -me no flyers to block or anything else to threaten any of these 2- and in the AI's upkeep for no reason sacrifies Selfless Spirit and later attacks with Bygone Bishop.

2. AI attacks freely with 3 Thopter Tokens and in 2nd main phase casts Thopter Spy Network (it should be in reverse order thus drawing a card when dealing damage).
dredop

Postby Godfrey » 22 Aug 2023, 08:18

Generic:

* AI can't play around the effects like "counter the first spell a player plays each turn" or "first time your creature becomes target of spell or ability, counter it". AI plays as if those effects weren't in play, i.e. casts a spell even if it takes all the mana they have and it will be countered, wasting entire turns.
* AI often does things during it's own upkeep, when it makes very little sense. You can make much better decisions after you see what card you have drawn.
* AI loves to pay cumulative upkeep even if it's life and ends up with AI dead. I haven't seen it to not pay cumulative upkeep and sacing the card ever.

Individual Cards / Combos:

* AI has no idea how to play Lifeline, i.e. it's still reluctant to let its creatures die, and never just sacrifices them for small gain. Even those that do something coming to the battlefield, which is the whole idea of Lifeline so called combo.
* Similarly, AI loves to use any "you may" trigger even if its not beneficial. The biggest offender I've seen so far was Aether Vial: AI never stops adding counters even if no creature in their deck costs that much.
* AI seems to cast Pariah on opponent creatures exclusively, even when AI itself has creatures with indestructible, or protection from all colors, or similar in play.
Godfrey

Previous

Return to Forge