It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:51

Text Size

Old Versions of Forge

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Old Versions of Forge

Postby Arimathea » 12 Jul 2012, 02:34

Hi All,

I upgraded recently to the newer versions of Forge due to a Java conflict that turned out to be unrelated. I neglected to back up my files, and was surprised to find that the new GUI is definitely not my thing. Unfortunately, all of the download links on the Forge site are for these newer versions. Do any of you fine folks have a link or a torrent for the ol' fashioned lightweight, grey version of Forge (pre-1.0, I guess)? I would be fantastically grateful!
Arimathea

Re: Old Versions of Forge

Postby moomarc » 12 Jul 2012, 10:02

Looks like the last version before the new UI was 1.1.8 (1.2 marked the change). You can grab it from the first post of this thread or from the releases page here (you'll want to grab forge-1.1.8.tar.bz2 near the bottom of the list if you're on Windows. Cardforge hosts the beta releases back to 1.1.6 here

This forum also has links from when mtgrares started posting to this forum, all the way back to this release on 28 May 2008:
mtgrares wrote:In case you don't know, you can play Magic against the computer using all of the rules.

250 new cards, for a total of 714 cards. Landwalk is new. Play Magic with some of the finest cards every printed like Serra Angel, Serra Avenger, Wrath of God, Kokusho, Ancestral Recall, Timetwister, and Lightning Bolt

Download Zip - works on any Java platform, Windows, Mac, Linux,etc...
Programming Magic Blog

It includes the Java source code in case you want to read it. It was all written by me, so it might not make sense to anyone else.
So somewhere in between you'll find the version you're most comfortable with. :D
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby Arimathea » 12 Jul 2012, 13:22

Thanks, Marc!
Arimathea

Postby Chris H. » 12 Jul 2012, 14:54

Going back to version 1.1.8 will remove the many bug fixes and new cards that have been added over the last 6 months or so... :(

Maybe some one will create a new skin that is based on black text with light grey and white backgrounds.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby moomarc » 12 Jul 2012, 15:41

Chris H. wrote:Going back to version 1.1.8 will remove the many bug fixes and new cards that have been added over the last 6 months or so... :(

Maybe some one will create a new skin that is based on black text with light grey and white backgrounds.
If I get a chance I'll throw it together. We'll call it Alpha Edition :mrgreen:
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby Chris H. » 12 Jul 2012, 16:48

moomarc wrote:
Chris H. wrote:Going back to version 1.1.8 will remove the many bug fixes and new cards that have been added over the last 6 months or so... :(

If I get a chance I'll throw it together. We'll call it Alpha Edition :mrgreen:

Might be interesting to find a pic of Gandalf and convert it to greyscale and then save it as "bg_match.jpg". Then name the skin "Greybeard".
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Arimathea » 12 Jul 2012, 18:07

That's a good point, but it's more than just the skin. The much older versions were a heck of a lot more lightweight, were lightning fast to load and play, and were designed in a way I feel was more intuitive (such as having separate fields for lands and non-land permanents.

Also, the older versions didn't prompt you through each draw and upkeep phase. I realize that it's technically an improvement that they were added in, but it makes the game slower and sucks the fun right out.
Arimathea

Postby friarsol » 12 Jul 2012, 18:26

Arimathea wrote:Also, the older versions didn't prompt you through each draw and upkeep phase. I realize that it's technically an improvement that they were added in, but it makes the game slower and sucks the fun right out.
You can disable these to auto-skip if you don't want anything to do during them. I only have like 5 phases set to stop and my game moves on pretty quick. Just click on them and they should turn from Green to Red.
friarsol
Global Moderator

Return to Forge