It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:36

Text Size

jpb fixes

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

jpb fixes

Postby DennisBergkamp » 09 Jan 2009, 17:11

Thanks for these, jpb! I will add them :)
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Re: jpb fixes

Postby Chris H. » 11 Jan 2009, 17:41

DennisBergkamp wrote:Thanks for these, jpb! I will add them :)
I noticed in the Card Bug Report Topic that jpb has posted a number of code repairs that could be added to your efforts. Some of his repairs may or may not have been included in a previous release. If you get a free moment (I realize that this is a big IF) you may want to take a look at them.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Orpheu » 12 Jan 2009, 11:28

I would like to suggest that we create 2 topics for fixs. The first one will receive all proposal fixs from each forum user. The other one only the forum admins will use and it will only contain all fully tested and recommended fixs. This way we don't have to fill the main forum with fixs threads... What do you guys think? :)
Orpheu

Postby jpb » 12 Jan 2009, 23:37

I think that is a great idea, however currently it has two major problems.

1) If no one verifies a fix then will the fix stay out of the build? Currently some of the fixes are tested and some are not. I would think that a majority of the fixes are tested in at least one scenario by the person creating the fix.

2) How many people can compile the source? I know this was an issue in the past which prevented many people from helping. Currently I know forge, dennis and myself can compile it, but I have not heard of success from anyone else. This might not be an issue if we start supplying patches as .patch files and write a script to automate patching and compiling of mtgforge.
jpb

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 13 Jan 2009, 05:37

This is where many open source projects get stuck.... I think patch files are going to become a sticky mess.

I was working on getting eclipse to work, a few weeks ago and I think it compiled.... Even still, I don't feel compelled to release anything, because if I did, I'd probably break compatibility with someone elses build.

This is also why we should actually start using the CVS archive system.... So that fixes can get into the codebase directly, instead of hoping someone will compile it into their own release, which often happens when they add their own cards, and not necessarily just for bug fixes.... It will keep the code up-to-date, with any submissions. Then whoever compiles it must test any of the fixes known to have been submitted in that version.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby frwololo » 13 Jan 2009, 07:08

Guys, forge is hosted on google code, which offers both issues tracking and version control through svn. Some of you have been contributing enough code for forge to give you write access to the svn repository I think. With this, the issues you are mentioning disappear automatically.
Edit : @Rob : CVS is a very old system and should not be used anymore
frwololo
DEVELOPER

Postby Orpheu » 13 Jan 2009, 14:10

jpb wrote:2) How many people can compile the source? I know this was an issue in the past which prevented many people from helping. Currently I know forge, dennis and myself can compile it, but I have not heard of success from anyone else. This might not be an issue if we start supplying patches as .patch files and write a script to automate patching and compiling of mtgforge.
What do you mean can compile the code? Create a project in eclipse with the run forge source code, and run it? Or you mean with the latest fixs?
Orpheu

Postby mtgrares » 13 Jan 2009, 19:31

I will add anyone to the google project that wants to be added. Just create a google account and e-mail me your username, my e-mail is (mtgrares yahoo). I'm probably not a good project manager, but I'll try ;) Basically I don't mind other people updating my project, I'm a little surprise people actually want to.

I know DennisBergkamp has added many cards, should I post his MTGForge 01/08 (unofficial BETA) version on the google project and make it the newest version? I know that it is still being changed and updated, but at least it would be made more public.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby DennisBergkamp » 13 Jan 2009, 20:26

I will add anyone to the google project that wants to be added. Just create a google account and e-mail me your username, my e-mail is (mtgrares yahoo). I'm probably not a good project manager, but I'll try ;) Basically I don't mind other people updating my project, I'm a little surprise people actually want to.

I know DennisBergkamp has added many cards, should I post his MTGForge 01/08 (unofficial BETA) version on the google project and make it the newest version? I know that it is still being changed and updated, but at least it would be made more public.
Forge,

Sure, make it public! There's some small new bugs, but a bunch of new cards and fixes to make up for it :)
I don't think there's reason to wait for the next version, because even though that one will have a lot more bug fixes, it will also contain a lot of new (probably buggy) features.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Return to Forge