It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:35

Text Size

MTGForge 01/15 (unofficial BETA) version

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

MTGForge 01/15 (unofficial BETA) version

Postby DennisBergkamp » 16 Jan 2009, 05:04

A new version. A bunch of fixes, and some exciting new features!

New stuff:

- First Strike implemented, jpb made this attempt and I must say a pretty damn good one, from the testing I've done it looks like it's working great!
- Rob's KPump, PTPump and PTKPump keywords (cards.txt I also updated accordingly).
- Counters are implemented now (Thanks Orpheu!), I've added a whole bunch of cards with spore counters (Thallids / Fungi).
- A lot of various fixes jpb posted: Hex, Crib Swap, Control Magic, Cranial Extraction, Archon of Justice, Defense of the Heart, Howling Mine / Black Vise, Sorceress Queen, draw on first turn bug
- Some code cleanups (thanks Rob for pointing them out!).
- Flash (Briarhorn, Ashcoat Bear and Caller of the Claw) should really be fixed now.
- AI shouldn't put Voja in play anymore with Tolsimir Wolfblood when it's already in play.
- Yore-Tiller Nephilim fix: when putting the creature in play tapped and attacking, there won't be a check anymore on "triggers on attack".
- Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting about.

New cards:

- Bunch of cards that involve First Strike / Double Strike: Rafiq of the Many, Steel Leaf Paladin, Preeminent Captain, Kobold Overlord, Hunted Dragon, Boros Swiftblade, Elvish Archers, Ancient Spider, Mirri, Cat Warrior, Jeska, Warrior Adept
- Nath of the Gilt-Leaf
- Kher Keep and Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
- Fungi / Thallids: Thallid Shell-Dweller, Thallid, Psychotrope Thallid, Pallid Mycoderm, Mycologist, Elvish Farmer
- Sleight of Hand, Brainstorm
- Vedalken Archmage
- Enchantress's Presence
- Reki , the History of Kamigawa
- Hanna, Ship's Navigator
- Jedit Ojanen of Efrava
- Anaba Shaman, Viashino Fangtail, Razorfin Hunter
Attachments
MTGForge0115.rar
BETA Jan 15h Release
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 313 times
Last edited by DennisBergkamp on 16 Jan 2009, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Re: MTGForge 01/15 (unofficial BETA) version

Postby GandoTheBard » 16 Jan 2009, 07:48

downloaded...as soon as there is confirmation that the bugs are fixed Ill take them off the bug list thread (assuming I have them on there. :D)
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Chris H. » 16 Jan 2009, 16:26

The new 01 15 version contains 29 new cards. I am not able to run Rob's new utility on my computer. So I added the urls to card-pictures.txt by hand.
Attachments
card-pictures.txt.zip
This is an updated card-pictures.txt file. It contains the urls for the 29 new cards that are included in the new 01 15 version.
(16.67 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby DennisBergkamp » 16 Jan 2009, 16:45

Thanks Chris!
By the way, not sure why there's no "color coding + description" for the cards I named in that post. I've always found that a cool feature, I wonder why it doesn't show up :(

I forgot to mention, what could use some testing in addition to First Strike is the PTPump, KPump and PTKPump creatures. I've only tested Azimaet Drake, Vampire Bats, Cobalt Golem and Flowstone Thopter (these cover all three cases, but still there might be some little mistakes, where a creature gets +1/+1 instead or +1/-1 or whatever).

There's a small issue with Rafiq of the Many, I think: If a creature attacks and gets +1/+1 (or more if there's more creatures with exalted in play) and Double Strike, if Rafiq of the Many gets killed before the end of that turn, the attacking creature will keep Double Strike forever. Shouldn't happen too often though, especially not against the computer.

EDIT: also I found some small issues with Kobold Overlord (I think after it gets killed, the first strike the other kobolds get sticks around for a bit, does this also happen for some of those Slivers, like Synchronous Sliver, Winged Sliver ?), Hanna, Ship's Navigator I remember finding some bug with, but I couldn't reproduce it.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 16 Jan 2009, 18:17

Chris's card-pictures.txt works, in MTGForge. However the cardset editor can't read it properly because many lines were terminated with a LF character, instead of the CR/LF sequence it is expecting. All other files in MTGForge use CR/LF, and we should maintain compatibility if for users to open the file in Notepad.

I converted his file to use CR/LF.
Attachments
card-pictures.zip
(16.39 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby GandoTheBard » 16 Jan 2009, 18:42

There's a small issue with Rafiq of the Many, I think: If a creature attacks and gets +1/+1 (or more if there's more creatures with exalted in play) and Double Strike, if Rafiq of the Many gets killed before the end of that turn, the attacking creature will keep Double Strike forever. Shouldn't happen too often though, especially not against the computer.

EDIT: also I found some small issues with Kobold Overlord (I think after it gets killed, the first strike the other kobolds get sticks around for a bit, does this also happen for some of those Slivers, like Synchronous Sliver, Winged Sliver ?), Hanna, Ship's Navigator I remember finding some bug with, but I couldn't reproduce it.
Ill post them in the Current Bugs thread

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby jpb » 16 Jan 2009, 19:55

I think the option to have a "Resizable Game Area" should be removed and instead we should have an option to allow the First Strike phase. When I play with First Strike phase I feel as if I am cheating. This is because the AI doesn't know anything about First Strike or Double Strike, so it makes really poor choices when choosing attackers and blockers. Play with First Strike in the 01/15 beta for awhile and then let me know if you agree that it should be optional until we get AI to start making better decisions based on First Strike and Double Strike abilities.
jpb

Postby GandoTheBard » 16 Jan 2009, 20:11

jpb wrote:I think the option to have a "Resizable Game Area" should be removed and instead we should have an option to allow the First Strike phase. When I play with First Strike phase I feel as if I am cheating. This is because the AI doesn't know anything about First Strike or Double Strike, so it makes really poor choices when choosing attackers and blockers. Play with First Strike in the 01/15 beta for awhile and then let me know if you agree that it should be optional until we get AI to start making better decisions based on First Strike and Double Strike abilities.
Then dont play with first strike :) You dont have to play with a card just because you can.

GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Chris H. » 16 Jan 2009, 20:36

Rob Cashwalker wrote:Chris's card-pictures.txt works, in MTGForge. However the cardset editor can't read it properly because many lines were terminated with a LF character, instead of the CR/LF sequence it is expecting. All other files in MTGForge use CR/LF, and we should maintain compatibility if for users to open the file in Notepad.

I converted his file to use CR/LF.
I think that it would be in everyones best interest if someone else took over the card-pictures.txt updating work. I can't run the new and useful card editing application on my computer. And doing this by hand has become too much of a chore. :wink:
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 16 Jan 2009, 20:38

CardFactory report:

Furnace Whelp, Greater Forgeling, Akroma Angel of Fury, Shivan Dragon - should be replaced by PTPump

Killer Whale, Whiptongue Frog, Goblin Balloon Brigade, Manta Riders - should be replaced by KPump

White Shield Crusader - should be replaced by KPump and PTPump

Kjeldoran War Cry and Tromp the Domains - replaced by generic multi-creature pump spell code.

Fix the indents on Molten Rain, Wrath of God

Library of Alexandria and Magus of the Library could be combined - just change the StackDescription to use the cardName instead of hard-coded names

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava has an empty code block

GameActionUtil commentary:
Instead of a hard coded list, why not put a "keyword" in the card text like "At the beginning of your upkeep put a spore counter on this creature." Then filter the list of cards under the current player's control to those cards with the keyword. Then do the addCounter for each of the remaining cards in the list.

GuiDisplay3 commentary:
It's nice that you're displaying the spore counters... but how do you display any of the other counters?

@Chris: No problem.
Last edited by Rob Cashwalker on 16 Jan 2009, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby DennisBergkamp » 16 Jan 2009, 20:55

Jedit Ojanen of Efrava has an empty code block
Oops, yeah in the process of adding it, I put it in CardFactory, then realizing it only needed code in different places.

Kjeldoran War Cry and Tromp the Domains - replaced by generic multi-creature pump spell code.
You reported this before, however when I removed the specific CardFactory sections, I kept getting bugs with them, so I reverted my changes. I'll look into this further sometime.

GuiDisplay3 commentary:
It's nice that you're displaying the spore counters... but how do you display any of the other counters?
No idea, we should write some kind of function which takes care of this, then either append it at the end of the card text, or put them in the labels of the card (I was kind of experimenting with that, so that's where I put them for now). Might be better to just add them at the end of the text, since there has to be a layout redo if there are more / fewer types of counters on a card.

Instead of a hard coded list, why not put a "keyword" in the card text like "At the beginning of your upkeep put a spore counter on this creature." Then filter the list of cards under the current player's control to those cards with the keyword. Then do the addCounter for each of the remaining cards in the list.
This is probably a better approach. I thought about this initially, but I didn't know about how to remove keywords yet, so to keep the card's text pretty I just hard-coded a list. Anyway, yes, I'll change it to use that keyword.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 16 Jan 2009, 21:13

DennisBergkamp wrote:You reported this before, however when I removed the specific CardFactory sections, I kept getting bugs with them, so I reverted my changes. I'll look into this further sometime.
Oh, OK. What kind of bugs?

No idea, we should write some kind of function which takes care of this, then either append it at the end of the card text, or put them in the labels of the card (I was kind of experimenting with that, so that's where I put them for now). Might be better to just add them at the end of the text, since there has to be a layout redo if there are more / fewer types of counters on a card.
Code: Select all
        String CounterLabel = new String
      if (c.getCounters(Counters.SPORE) != 0)
           CounterLabel.concat("Spore counters: " + c.getCounters(Counters.SPORE) + "\r\n");
      if (c.getCounters(Counters.AGE) != 0)
         CounterLabel.concat("Age counters: " + c.getCounters(Counters.AGE) + "\r\n");
      if (c.getCounters(Counters.LOYALTY) != 0)
         CounterLabel.concat("Loyalty counters: " + c.getCounters(Counters.LOYLATY) + "\r\n");
      if (c.getCounters(Counters.MANA) != 0)
         CounterLabel.concat("Mana counters: " + c.getCounters(Counters.MANA) + "\r\n");

cdLabel6.setText(CounterLabel);
Now this would have to be updated any time new counter types get added, and who know how much screen real estate this will take up....
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby DennisBergkamp » 16 Jan 2009, 21:42

Now this would have to be updated any time new counter types get added, and who know how much screen real estate this will take up....
Yes, so maybe we'll just append it at the end of the text ?

I'm not sure what kind of bugs, but I think it added either too many or too few +1/+1s.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 16 Jan 2009, 23:48

Akroma, Angel of Fury was mistakenly given First Strike and Vigilance. I took a look at Akroma, Angel of Wrath and see that First Strike was not added. It should be easy enough to fix at some point.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 16 Jan 2009, 23:51

We may want to consider changing the code for Valor. If we do we may want to add an enchantment which will give the ability of vigilence to our creatures.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Next

Return to Forge