It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 04:02

Text Size

Forge Skins & Themes

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Forge Skins & Themes

Postby moomarc » 13 Jul 2012, 08:12

Moved this post here to start things off. Everyone feel free to share your own themes in this thread.

This skin includes a battlefield layout file so I've included a guide to getting the skin installed for anyone that's not sure. Basically extract to your root folder, change skin and load origins.xml layout.

Enjoy! :mrgreen:
Attachments
ChangingToOrigins.jpg
Installing the skin
Origins-Skin.zip
Zip containing the skin and battlefield layout files
(564.78 KiB) Downloaded 6859 times
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Themes & You?

Postby stalik » 29 Oct 2012, 00:12

I've known about Forge since back in the days of the old ANSI style text on a typical windows GUI.

Back then I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread...

I still think that...! :D

But the one thing that a guy that anyone that plays Forge a lot knows is you can only stare at the stock themes so long!

I've dabbled with creating my own and have a couple workable versions but nothing in particular. The amount of time to make icon sets and everything else required...

Not to mention half the time the images don't work?

So who has a guide? Is there a thread? Is there a secret lurking post somewhere on this board for aspiring "make it something other than vanilla 2/2" here?

Keep up the awesome work guys - the background image... was only annoying because you have to enter the game to test if the new image you just loaded into bg_image.jpg was working or not only to end up in a battle you knew you just had to win!

That and that space bar no longer automatically picks the most logical option being removed from popup selection dialogs! If I was still useful as a coder that one would be #1 on my "may I contribute" list!

So - my rambling is - where's the how to theme forge / how may we contribute thread, a collection of good themes, or some good info on creating them? If not... I humbly ask those of you with the knowledge - may I partake? :oops:
stalik

Re: Themes & You?

Postby moomarc » 29 Oct 2012, 04:08

At some point it might be worth setting up a subforum for skins, but for now I'll just sticky this topic.

A quick tip for the sprite sheet: majority of the icons will be grabbed from the default skin if missing from a new skin so you can save time there for a few icons. For the background image I normally just use a screenshot of my battlefield as an overlay layer in Photoshop to get a better idea for positioning (at leats that's how it started. It since changed to traced elements that recreate things a bit more clearly without the background interference).

Feel free to post your skins with screenshots and if you feel the skin works best with a particular battlefield layout, post that too.
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Re: Forge Skins & Themes

Postby moomarc » 29 Oct 2012, 15:22

To start things off, I've moved a theme I created a few months back for someone with nostalgia for old Forge versions. See the first post.
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby stalik » 29 Oct 2012, 17:24

Thanks for the "original" theme - brings back memories. :)

I've attached a couple screenshots of some themes I've dabbled with here.

May have solved my recent woes with images failing to appear - spaces in skin names is not a good thing!

Reaper.png

Burn.png

Moonlight.png
stalik

Postby moomarc » 04 Nov 2012, 07:02

@stalik: Would you mind posting the actual background files? I particularly like the first one. Please also include the brick fill from behind it.
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby stalik » 15 Nov 2012, 20:21

Sorry for the tardy response!

My artistic ability is extremely limited... I shamelessly "borrowed" the Dark Ascension skin as a base and it's obvious in the accompanying zip. The images were found using Google and the splash needs serious work. :oops:

Reaper.zip
"Reaper" Forge Skin
(1.92 MiB) Downloaded 1780 times

I recently installed the "PhotoScape" free image editor to get around an issue I've discovered with "MS Paint" killing the sprite files transparency when edited. At some point when I find some time I'm hopeful to play with putting some custom sprite files together.

Cheers!
stalik

Postby Harfenik » 24 Jan 2013, 10:11

Hello, could you post some more skins for download? You know- variety:-D
Thanks friend.
Harfenik

Postby moomarc » 26 Jan 2013, 21:31

Harfenik wrote:Hello, could you post some more skins for download? You know- variety:-D
Thanks friend.
Currently real-life work has me barely sleeping so have been unable to contribute to Forge for the past month, but I'll throw a few more together when I have some free time again. Is there anything you would be interested in particularly?
-Marc
moomarc
Pixel Commander

Postby Harfenik » 27 Jan 2013, 08:50

moomarc wrote:
Harfenik wrote:Hello, could you post some more skins for download? You know- variety:-D
Thanks friend.
Currently real-life work has me barely sleeping so have been unable to contribute to Forge for the past month, but I'll throw a few more together when I have some free time again. Is there anything you would be interested in particularly?
Hello, it would be lovely if you could create some Dominaria or other planes themes, like landscapes, kingdoms etc.. I appreciate you are willing to do this, thank you Marc.

Good day to you.
Harfenik

Postby Rooger » 09 Feb 2013, 08:02

I'm currently designing on a skin based on miss Liliana, i'm still working on the icon set but the core of the skin is already done, so i thought i could share it with you guys maybe there is one of you who likes liliana too, i know you all like her...because, boobs lol but anyway here is the skin. I would like to point out that i used the icons of the card types from the skin firebloom hope that it's designer don't mind, i'll replace them as soon as i finish the icon set.
Just copy the content of the rar into your Forge's root folder (where the forge.exe is located) then follow the instructions posted by moomarc to change the layout if you like it that way, if you don't i provided, in the skin folder, a clean (boring) background image just rename it to bg_match.jpg and restart forge to commit changes.
And thats it folks hope you like the skin and feel free to make sugestions.

ps:i like my cards huuuuuge ahah
Attachments
Lady Vess.rar
Lady Vess skin, copy content to Forge root folder.
(3.46 MiB) Downloaded 1954 times
splash.jpg
Splash Splash!
screen 2.jpg
Battlefield example
screen 1.jpg
Menu example
Rooger

Postby Harfenik » 09 Feb 2013, 21:52

Nice:-D
Harfenik

Postby edessa » 10 Feb 2013, 18:40

Excellent!! please more!!
edessa

Postby Rooger » 11 Feb 2013, 01:07

Just finished my skin, added the icons (battle and bazaar) and made some minor changes, hope you like it. I decided to keep WompWomp's Firebloom skin card type icons as they are very minimal, clean and just great ;)

This screen is a combat example with some of the changed icons, yes the counters are m&m's, someone's hungry? ahah
Attachments
Lady Vess.rar
Lady Vess final skin
(3.71 MiB) Downloaded 1981 times
screen 3.jpg
Combat example
Rooger

Postby Rooger » 12 Feb 2013, 04:47

Moomarc (and anyone interested) here is the psd files of the background and icons, feel free to edit them to your liking, and if you want upload the modifications i will appreciate that :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?9d0e5j3kp634vw6

oh and sorry about the double post :oops:
Rooger

Next

Return to Forge