It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:09

Text Size

GUI changes?

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: GUI changes?

Postby mtgrares » 17 Feb 2009, 20:25

The gui is just so hard to update, so if anyone knows how to make it look better, go for it. My gui is very plain and could use some sprucing up :)
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby MageKing17 » 17 Feb 2009, 20:34

DennisBergkamp wrote:I could maybe name them 44_giant_warrior.jpg and 55_giant_warrior.jpg, 33_beast.jpg and 44_beast.jpg?
On my to-do list for Incantus is to generalize our token-grabbing code to let it look for things like "4-4_R_Giant_Warrior_Creature_haste.jpg", obviously meaning a 4/4 red Giant Warrior creature token with haste. The only thing stopping me is a dislike of forcing the game engine to do things for the user interface, but once I've got a good system in my head, I'm going to go ahead and add this stuff... so, in my opinion, you should go for the wider diversity of token images.
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby DennisBergkamp » 17 Feb 2009, 22:08

So set the name (unless rules-specified) to {color(s)}_{p}_{t}_{type}.
This sounds good, if I understand correctly. I would have non-ambiguous tokens like Elf Warrior ("elf_warrior.jpg") and Bear ("bear.jpg").
But then Giant Warrior has ("w_5_5_giant_warrior.jpg") and ("r_g_4_4_giant_warrior.jpg") ?

Or would it better to change the Bear token to "g_2_2_bear.jpg" ?
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby frwololo » 18 Feb 2009, 00:50

DennisBergkamp wrote:
So set the name (unless rules-specified) to {color(s)}_{p}_{t}_{type}.
This sounds good, if I understand correctly. I would have non-ambiguous tokens like Elf Warrior ("elf_warrior.jpg") and Bear ("bear.jpg").
But then Giant Warrior has ("w_5_5_giant_warrior.jpg") and ("r_g_4_4_giant_warrior.jpg") ?

Or would it better to change the Bear token to "g_2_2_bear.jpg" ?
Another suggestion for this, which is more or less what wagic does : the name of the token can contain the name of the card that created it.
For example if your card is named : the_hive_10e.jpg, you can name the token the_hive_10e_token.jpg. The good point is that it makes it easy to visually find both a card and the tokens it creates in a given directory.
frwololo
DEVELOPER

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 18 Feb 2009, 03:12

frwololo wrote:Another suggestion for this, which is more or less what wagic does : the name of the token can contain the name of the card that created it.
For example if your card is named : the_hive_10e.jpg, you can name the token the_hive_10e_token.jpg. The good point is that it makes it easy to visually find both a card and the tokens it creates in a given directory.
This method works for very card-specific tokens... like a token that's a copy of itself, for example, or the white-green elf warrior from shadowmoor. But your average 1/1 green saproling token has been used forever, and there's no need for a card-specific version of it.

I already voiced support for the more generic naming of using p/t, color and type. More or less, as long as each instance of token code is fixed to ensure consistency in names, then it doesn't matter too much.
The Force will be with you, Always.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby DennisBergkamp » 18 Feb 2009, 17:56

I made a list of token jpegs that are currently in MTGForge (or will be, in the next version), and that have official token images:

w_4_4_angel.jpg
g_2_2_wolf.jpg
g_1_1_saproling.jpg
g_1_1_elf_warrior.jpg
w_0_1_goat.jpg
b_2_2_zombie.jpg
g_2_5_treefolk_shaman.jpg
colorless_1_1_spirit.jpg
w_1_1_pegasus.jpg
w_5_5_giant_warrior.jpg
colorless_1_1_shapeshifter.jpg
colorless_1_1_insect.jpg
r_3_1_elemental.jpg
g_2_2_bear.jpg
g_3_3_beast.jpg
w_1_1_soldier.jpg
w_x_x_avatar.jpg
colorless_1_1_sliver.jpg
r_5_5_dragon.jpg
r_4_4_dragon.jpg
colorless_1_1_wasp.jpg
r_1_1_gobling.jpg
w_1_1_kithkin_soldier.jpg
b_1_1_faerie_rogue.jpg
rw_1_1_goblin_soldier.jpg
marit_lage.jpg

And there's some tokens that are in MTGForge that do not have WotC images:

2/2 W Knight
1/1 U Faerie
0/1 B Serf
X/X Wurm
3/3 black angel
3/3 G centaur
B Penumbra Tokens (Kavu, Wurm, Cat, Spider)
3/3 G Ape
1/1 U Illusions
2/2 G Cat Warrior

I guess those I will just call "Token" and have one default token.jpg associated with them (maybe the back of a magic card?), or just leave it up to the user.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 18 Feb 2009, 19:13

cool list.

I'm sure somewhere along the line most of those tokens have images... whether official or not.

Why not use "c" instead of "colorless"? And, What's up with marit lage? color and p/t?
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby DennisBergkamp » 18 Feb 2009, 19:46

Sure, I could use c instead.
I named the token Marit Lage because Dark Depths explicitly states that it should be named that way.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 18 Feb 2009, 19:58

DennisBergkamp wrote:I named the token Marit Lage because Dark Depths explicitly states that it should be named that way.
What are your thoughts in reference to the snow type lands and the cards which require snow mana for activation costs. When I was adding in cards via the keywords I saw the snow lands and other snow cards. I realized that these cards would require additional coding and I wasn't sure if the number of cards involved would be worth the coding effort.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby DennisBergkamp » 18 Feb 2009, 21:04

I think there's different points here: there's the activation of abilities through snow-covered mana (and I suppose also cards with snow-covered mana costs?), and there are cards like Thermokarst and Woolly Mammoths. The latter case is easy, I personally wouldn't even know where to start with the mana stuff though...
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 18 Feb 2009, 23:24

DennisBergkamp wrote:I think there's different points here: there's the activation of abilities through snow-covered mana (and I suppose also cards with snow-covered mana costs?), and there are cards like Thermokarst and Woolly Mammoths. The latter case is easy, I personally wouldn't even know where to start with the mana stuff though...
I burned out and sold my cards about a year after Ice Age came out. I remember that the people at the gaming store were not enthused with many of the cards in this set. No one was interested in playing an Ice Age only deck.

When I went through the gatherer data base I only saw a few creatures that required snow mana and I don't think there were enough of them to worry about. I remember finding just two creatures that had snow land walk. :-k
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby MageKing17 » 19 Feb 2009, 02:55

DennisBergkamp wrote:I think there's different points here: there's the activation of abilities through snow-covered mana (and I suppose also cards with snow-covered mana costs?)
There are no cards that cost snow mana to play.
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby Rob Cashwalker » 19 Feb 2009, 03:14

I personally wouldn't even know where to start with the mana stuff though...
We've been down the mana route before.... I think if it were ever to be done, then we just include "S" in activation costs, and give mana keywords of "tap: add S" to snow permanents that have mana abilities, with the colored ability as well. Not rules-perfect, but might work without modification.
Rob Cashwalker
Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 19 Feb 2009, 12:30

DennisBergkamp wrote:And there's some tokens that are in MTGForge that do not have WotC images:

2/2 W Knight
1/1 U Faerie
0/1 B Serf
X/X Wurm
3/3 black angel
3/3 G centaur
B Penumbra Tokens (Kavu, Wurm, Cat, Spider)
3/3 G Ape
1/1 U Illusions
2/2 G Cat Warrior

I guess those I will just call "Token" and have one default token.jpg associated with them (maybe the back of a magic card?), or just leave it up to the user.
Could we use a low res jpg pic like the ones that Rob created? And include these several non-copyrighted jpg pics in the pic folder with the distribution?

I searched through the "TK.zip" archive and found HQ jpgs for all of the tokens that you are missing. I believe that I found a link for this 32 MB file on the CCGH HQ CARD PICS forum.

Last night I successfully shrunk the Cat Warrior token to the proper size and I named it "g_2_2_cat_warrior.jpg" ... I can do this for the rest of the missing tokens ... but I don't think that we want to include these copyrighted jpg pics with the forge distribution.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby DennisBergkamp » 19 Feb 2009, 18:09

Ahh, I see. I hadn't thought of the legal issues yet... I suppose we have to leave everything to the user then.

But are these (missing) HQ jpgs you mentioned copyrighted ? They seem to be non-WotC, since I didn't find them on magiccards.info.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Forge