It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:51

Text Size

Tutorials + Docs + More Decks

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Tutorials + Docs + More Decks

Postby Chris H. » 27 Feb 2009, 15:52

Attached below is an archive containing the forge docs. Rares may want to have a full set for his google site. Dennis may want to include this with his distribution.

There is a directory named "docs" and inside are:

first game.pdf
how to play.pdf
Quick Start.html
readme - more decks.txt
readme-compile.html
readme-install.txt
Readme.html

Read Me First.txt

I created the "Read Me First.txt" file and it simply has a brief description of the other files.

EDIT:

I tried to upload the attachment and received the message:

Sorry, your attachment quota has been reached. Please delete some of your previous attachments and try again.

#-o
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Re: Tutorials + Docs + More Decks

Postby Chris H. » 27 Feb 2009, 16:00

Attached below is an archive containing additional decks for forge. Rares may want to have a full set for his google site. Dennis may want to include this with his distribution.

There is a directory named "more decks" and inside are the five repaired decks, the two new decks by Rares that he included in his distribution on the google site, and:

a copy of all of the decks from the original all-decks2 file that are larger than 59 cards in size.

I did not include the 40 card or smaller decks, nor did I include the tutorial decks.

The directory named "more decks" contains a total of 15 decks at this time.

Attachments
more decks.zip
For Rares and Dennis
(17.71 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 27 Feb 2009, 16:08

Attached below is an archive containing the tutorial decks for forge. Rares may want to have a full set for his google site. Dennis may want to include this with his distribution.

There is a directory named "tutorial" and inside is an "all-decks2" file. I deleted all of the decks that are not a part of the tutorials from this file. As such, this "all-decks2" file will only present you with the tutorial decks and none of the others.

I also wrote a small description on how to move this tutorial file over to the root level.

Attachments
tutorial.zip
For Rares and Dennis
(11.72 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby DennisBergkamp » 27 Feb 2009, 17:47

Awesome, thanks Chris. So what's the vote, should I include these with the releases?
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 27 Feb 2009, 18:14

DennisBergkamp wrote:Awesome, thanks Chris. So what's the vote, should I include these with the releases?
I was curious and I launched Forge without an "all-decks2" file located in the root directory. The game launches with the only choice of Generate Deck for your deck and the opponents deck. If we go into the Deck Editor and create and save a new deck, an "all-decks2" file will be created in the Forge directory.

I think we can distribute future versions without having an "all-decks2" file located in the root directory. I'm not sure how this will impact Sealed Deck and Booster Draft. Someone with experience with these two formats could run a test and let us know.

The tutorial "all-decks2" file should keep any newcomers on google happy.

I think the only stumbling block we have at this time is getting the "docs" directory with its contents either placed on Rares google site or included in the distribution. :wink:

Well, there is still the issue of tokens.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby DennisBergkamp » 27 Feb 2009, 19:00

Maybe we could start an all new all-decks2 file, and only add in some of the really good AI decks, and a few tutorial decks with simple creatures.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 27 Feb 2009, 19:23

DennisBergkamp wrote:Maybe we could start an all new all-decks2 file, and only add in some of the really good AI decks, and a few tutorial decks with simple creatures.
I'm in the process of downloading decks from our decks forum. And I'm learning how to create AI decks. These additional human and AI decks will be added to the "more decks" directory in the future.

The AI decks will usually use the naming convention:

AI-{deck name}.deck

or

{deck name}-AI.deck

and as such should be easy for people to find and import into their own personal all-decks2 file.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby mtgrares » 27 Feb 2009, 19:32

Thanks for separating out the tutorial decks, I'll use that.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby Chris H. » 27 Feb 2009, 19:41

mtgrares wrote:Thanks for separating out the tutorial decks, I'll use that.
I'm glad that I could help move this along.

BTW: I like the idea of having the instructional files in a "docs" directory.

The "docs" directory could contain these files:

first game.pdf
how to play.pdf
Quick Start.html
readme - more decks.txt
readme-compile.html
readme-install.txt
Readme.html

Read Me First.txt

I created the "Read Me First.txt" file and it simply has a brief description of the other files included in the "docs" directory. I had an archive containing these files but it exceeded my attachment quota.

I hate to impose on you and/or Dennis, but all I can do from my end is to upload the Read Me First.txt file.

Attachments
Read Me First.zip
(1.1 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby mtgrares » 27 Feb 2009, 19:46

Well I'm just guessing what a newbie would want to read. Many people already know the rules probably don't read any docs and I don't blame them. Some newbies might not know the rules of Magic but I wanted to briefly explain them so a new Magic player could at least get play through a game. That is why I provide a link to the Magic demo which is how I first learned the rules and later I went back and actually understand some of the rulebook.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby Chris H. » 27 Feb 2009, 20:08

mtgrares wrote:Well I'm just guessing what a newbie would want to read. Many people already know the rules probably don't read any docs and I don't blame them. Some newbies might not know the rules of Magic but I wanted to briefly explain them so a new Magic player could at least get play through a game. That is why I provide a link to the Magic demo which is how I first learned the rules and later I went back and actually understand some of the rulebook.
There is a possibility that someone could have heard about MTG through a friend/family member/co-worker/etc. Initially, they may want to do some research before becoming heavily invested. They may chose to do a google search and see what sort of hits they get.

They could find this thing named Forge, and decide to check it out. These newcomers may not feel confidant enough to post messages on the blog or this web site. You might get an occasional e-mail from a few of them.

There is a chance that some of them might get more actively involved at some point. Maybe not. As long as everyone is enjoying themselves. :)

I played the real game for several years at the local gaming store when the game was first becoming popular. After a while, I burned out, sold my cards and went on to other things. Last year I came across the "Card Warrior 2" application. The game seemed familiar. I found the "name-mutator.txt" file, loaded it into my spreadsheet, pasted one column into the other, and was pleasantly surprised. The included docs lead me to the blog and to this web site. :D
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 27 Feb 2009, 20:59

Chris H. wrote:Attached below is an archive containing the tutorial decks for forge. Rares may want to have a full set for his google site. Dennis may want to include this with his distribution.
I forgot to delete the sealed and drafts decks from the tutorial version of the "all-decks2" file.

Please use the version attached below:

Attachments
tutorial_v2.zip
For Rares and Dennis
(3.64 KiB) Downloaded 345 times
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Huggybaby » 28 Feb 2009, 07:43

Chris, I've added you to the uploaders group, you shouldn't have any more trouble.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby Chris H. » 28 Feb 2009, 12:16

Huggybaby wrote:Chris, I've added you to the uploaders group, you shouldn't have any more trouble.
Ahh, thank you.

I will try the docs file in the near future.

It will take me a few weeks to finish increasing the more decks directory and when finished I will upload the file here on this forum. :)
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby Chris H. » 28 Feb 2009, 18:59

This file is for Rares.

This file contains all of the documentation and the tutorial in a single archive. I have named the archive "more docs.zip".

I included your two PDF files from the google site which you updated, and the other docs from last years 12-03 version. I also included the second and completed version of the tutorial all-decks2 file.

We realize that you are very busy working on the Quest mode and we don't expect that you will be able to replace the older version with this newer version in the near future.

Attachments
more docs.zip
This file is for Rares and the google web site.
(639.12 KiB) Downloaded 390 times
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Next

Return to Forge