It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:45

Text Size

MTG Forge 03/10 - with Quest Mode

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Re: MTG Forge 03/10 - with Quest Mode

Postby GandoTheBard » 11 Mar 2009, 06:10

World Champ. :/

10 matches (10-0) on easy mode should not be world champ. lol it shouldn't even be Pro Wanna be. It should be "Store Champion" maybe.

By the way I dont think this mode is all that easy with the cheating that the AI does. Anyway I will now attempt to add my card pool to this post.

40 Total Cards

21 Creatures
-------------
1x Ambassador Oak
1x Barkhide Mauler
1x Court Archers
1x Ember-Fist Zubera
1x Gerrard's Irregulars
1x Hammerfist Giant
2x Mogg Fanatic
1x Penumbra Spider
1x Renegade Troops
1x Ryusei, the Falling Star
1x Sakura-Tribe Elder
1x Sokenzan Bruiser
1x Spitting Drake
1x Streetbreaker Wurm
1x Tel-Jilad Exile
1x Timberwatch Elf
1x Viashino Fangtail
2x Vulshok Sorcerer
1x Winnower Patrol

2 Spells
----------
1x Cackling Flames
1x Might of Oaks

17 Land
--------
8x Forest
9x Mountain

Nope didnt copy the whole pool...I will add all non lands to the deck itself and try again.

Code: Select all
150 Total Cards

118 Creatures
-------------
1x Ambassador Oak
1x Ardent Militia
1x Aven Fisher
1x Bant Battlemage
1x Barkhide Mauler
1x Canopy Spider
1x Canyon Minotaur
1x Canyon Wildcat
1x Cloudheath Drake
3x Coastal Hornclaw
1x Coral Merfolk
1x Court Archers
1x Cylian Elf
1x Drudge Skeletons
1x Druid of the Anima
2x Dusk Imp
3x Ember-Fist Zubera
1x Floating-Dream Zubera
1x Frostling
1x Frostweb Spider
1x Gerrard's Irregulars
1x Giant Warthog
1x Goblin Skycutter
1x Gravedigger
1x Grizzly Bears
1x Hammerfist Giant
1x Heartwood Treefolk
1x Hillcomber Giant
1x Horned Troll
1x Infernal Kirin
1x Inner-Flame Acolyte
1x Ironroot Treefolk
1x Jackal Pup
2x Jhessian Lookout
1x Jungle Lion
1x Karplusan Strider
1x Kyren Glider
1x Lightning Elemental
1x Living Airship
1x Lucent Liminid
1x Lynx
1x Meng Huo's Horde
1x Might Sliver
2x Mogg Fanatic
1x Moonwing Moth
1x Muscle Sliver
1x Nessian Courser
1x Oakgnarl Warrior
1x Ogre Warrior
1x Order of the Sacred Bell
1x Pale Bears
2x Patrol Signaler
1x Pegasus Charger
2x Penumbra Spider
1x Phantom Warrior
1x Phyrexian Battleflies
1x Plasma Elemental
1x Prickly Boggart
1x Prodigal Sorcerer
1x Pygmy Razorback
1x Raging Cougar
1x Renegade Troops
1x Roofstalker Wight
1x Rootwater Commando
1x Ryusei, the Falling Star
1x Sakura-Tribe Elder
1x Serpentine Kavu
1x Severed Legion
1x Shu Elite Infantry
1x Skyknight Legionnaire
2x Snapping Drake
1x Sokenzan Bruiser
1x Soltari Emissary
1x Spineless Thug
1x Spitting Drake
1x Spotted Griffin
1x Squall Drifter
1x Steward of Valeron
1x Streetbreaker Wurm
1x Talas Air Ship
1x Talas Merchant
1x Talas Scout
1x Tattered Drake
1x Tel-Jilad Exile
1x Timberwatch Elf
1x Torii Watchward
1x Turtleshell Changeling
1x Vampire Bats
1x Viashino Fangtail
1x Visara the Dreadful
2x Vulshok Berserker
2x Vulshok Sorcerer
2x War Mammoth
1x Wellwisher
1x Whip Sergeant
2x Wild Elephant
1x Wind Dancer
1x Winnower Patrol
1x Wirewood Elf
2x Yellow Scarves Troops
1x Yotian Soldier
1x Zodiac Dog
1x Zodiac Monkey

32 Spells
----------
1x Aggressive Urge
1x Bad Moon
1x Bitterblossom
1x Cackling Flames
1x Counsel of the Soratami
1x Demonic Tutor
1x Desperate Charge
1x Echoing Truth
1x Epic Proportions
1x Erratic Explosion
1x Firebolt
2x Funeral Charm
1x Might of Oaks
1x Morsel Theft
1x Nameless Inversion
2x Naturalize
1x Remand
2x Repulse
2x Shatter
1x Sleight of Hand
1x Tendrils of Corruption
1x Tribal Flames
1x Valorous Charge
1x Virtuous Charge
1x Warrior's Charge
1x Warrior's Honor
1x Wings of Velis Vel
1x Wrap in Vigor
Unfortunately it didnt keep the sort by color that I had so you can't really see what I did. Basically I went Red/Black to start and then noticed that green was actually a bit better than black and so switched colors. White and Blue were never good enough so I didnt even consider splashing anything for those colors.

My feeling is that the AI decks need a little tuning and pruning to be truly dangerous but I have yet to try the other modes. I dunno if they are harder but it doesn't seem like more games will make the difficulty higher. Just more tedious.
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Mr.Chaos » 11 Mar 2009, 07:20

Yo-ho! Yo-ho! A questing I will go!
Thanks Rares! I have been waiting for this to arive, will abuse it a plenty today.
Woohoo! =D>

And the bugs the others found so far? Hey, they are just a free feature. :mrgreen:
](*,) = coder at work, according to a coder.It does explain some of the bugs. :wink:
Mr.Chaos
Tester

Postby GandoTheBard » 11 Mar 2009, 09:19

Started a new quest mode and deleted the umpteen files that gathered in the folder but apparently this prevented me from getting new cards as I won my first match? Either that or sometimes you just don't get new cards.

Same thing happened again.

Ended up having to delete the whole folder and reinstall... Hopefully it won't pull this crap again.

Nevermind I see whats happening....lol forgot the harder modes do not give you more cards until you win more in a row. Sorry...kept assuming it was broken after the first match.

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Chris H. » 11 Mar 2009, 11:17

I have played a few of the new quest mode games with my new data files and have not yet noticed any problems with the updated data files.

Rares quest version of Forge uses the recent 03-08 code base and you should be able to copy over the card-pictures.txt and cards.txt files from:

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=944&start=15#p10536

I am a glutton for punishment and I also copied over the new and complete set of rarity files. I noticed that Rares distribution includes a copy of his run-set-editor.jar application for those who might want to make adjustments to the original rarity set of files:

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=944&start=15#p10539
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby GandoTheBard » 11 Mar 2009, 12:20

Chris H. wrote:I have played a few of the new quest mode games with my new data files and have not yet noticed any problems with the updated data files.

Rares quest version of Forge uses the recent 03-08 code base and you should be able to copy over the card-pictures.txt and cards.txt files from:

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=944&start=15#p10536

I am a glutton for punishment and I also copied over the new and complete set of rarity files. I noticed that Rares distribution includes a copy of his run-set-editor.jar application for those who might want to make adjustments to the original rarity set of files:

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=944&start=15#p10539
I think you might have missed the point of several of my posts there. 1) I do NOT want to copy over card-pictures.txt. I want to not have to recopy my pics folder everytime a new installation comes out.

I don't want to copy over the rarities either but that seems unavoidable since the ones you get with the download are never correct. Or even really playable if you want a challenge.

2) the Data file thing was clearly a brainfart on my part as I said later in the SAME post. :)

GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby GandoTheBard » 11 Mar 2009, 12:41

To begin with I thought adding a quest mode wouldn't be too hard and QuestData is very simple by itself but incorporating it into the larger project was hard. I probably spent around 30 hours on this. I'm just glad it works :)
In case I forgot to mention it, Good job. The bugs I've found, and things that need fixing are to be expected. I didn't expect to see the quest mode for months yet so :D. The UI goofs are abit annoying but *shrugs* thats the way it goes sometimes.

GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Chris H. » 11 Mar 2009, 13:06

GandoTheBard wrote:I think you might have missed the point of several of my posts there. 1) I do NOT want to copy over card-pictures.txt. I want to not have to recopy my pics folder everytime a new installation comes out.

I don't want to copy over the rarities either but that seems unavoidable since the ones you get with the download are never correct. Or even really playable if you want a challenge.
I think I understand what you are saying. We have a group of people taking on the responsibility for different aspects of this game. It would be great if we could better co-ordinate our efforts and only release a finished product when all of the construction is completed.

Currently our releases are like pieces of a puzzle. People here at CCGH have to acquire the separate pieces and then assemble them. I think that is the price that we have to pay to stay current and be a part of the production and testing team.

2) the Data file thing was clearly a brainfart on my part as I said later in the SAME post. :)
I like the idea of using the newer column spacing and I like the idea of having a quest-save-game file directory. Then again, it is easy for me to see areas where improvements can be made ... unfortunately, I do not have the talents or the skills needed to help with the coding.

I think that Rares has done an awesome job to get the quest mode functional. I am having a good time testing it.

He mentioned that the quest AI decks are editable. I have not yet had a chance to look into this ... this might be an area where someone could step in and provide a helping hand.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Quest Deck -- Silver Surfer revisited.

Postby GandoTheBard » 11 Mar 2009, 13:45

Well it seems Silver Surfer never gets much of a chance against my quest decks so I redesigned it to win. It still has a hard time but I lost one game to Battle of Wits coming out turn 11 or so. :) (I happen to have no enchantment removal at all in my little cardpool in my current quest.)

Here is the deck list:

252 Total Cards

65 Creatures
-------------
4x Air Elemental
1x Arcanis the Omnipotent
4x Aven Riftwatcher
4x Battlegrace Angel
4x Intrepid Hero
1x Keiga, the Tide Star
4x Man-o'-War
1x Mawcor
4x Meadowboon
2x Mulldrifter
4x Prodigal Sorcerer
4x Savannah Lions
4x Serra Angel
4x Sigiled Paladin
4x Solemn Simulacrum
4x Soul Warden
4x Sower of Temptation
4x Thieving Magpie
4x Wonder

87 Spells
----------
2x Ajani Goldmane
1x Ancestral Recall
4x Battle of Wits
4x Bribery
4x Concentrate
4x Control Magic
4x Crib Swap
4x Darksteel Ingot
2x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
4x Enlightened Tutor
4x Evacuation
4x Marble Diamond
4x Mobilization
4x Mox Diamond
1x Mox Emerald
1x Mox Jet
1x Mox Pearl
1x Mox Ruby
1x Mox Sapphire
2x Obelisk of Bant
2x Obelisk of Esper
4x Psionic Blast
4x Repulse
4x Resurrection
4x Sky Diamond
4x Swords to Plowshares
1x Timetwister
4x Tithe
4x Wrath of God

100 Land
--------
4x Arcane Sanctum
4x Coastal Tower
4x Hallowed Fountain
41x Island
1x Library of Alexandria
1x Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
41x Plains
4x Tundra

The thing about this deck is you will see alot of variety becuase it is way huge but it should consistant play threats and remove your threats reasonably well. Of course it still needs some tuning but I think the mana ratio is about right. A builders note: I chose deliberately to stick with the WOTC deckbuilding guidelines as I usually do because I don't want people to be confused about the rules even though Forge does not adhere to the rules 100% nor does it have to. You can play with as few cards as you like or play with as many of any give card. But since Ancestral, the Moxes, Library and Timetwister are all restricted in the official rules to one copy I chose to stick to that. You might want to alter this to give the decks even more power. Note that these cards really are overpowered which is why they are restricted.
Attachments
AIQuest-BattleofWits252.deck
(2.09 KiB) Downloaded 566 times

GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby GandoTheBard » 11 Mar 2009, 14:25

By the way exactly how does the mana weaving work for the computer because the decks preinstalled work just fine mana wise but the Red deck I just redesigned gets 1-2 lands and thats it.

60 Total Cards

27 Creatures
-------------
3x Imperial Hellkite
2x Macetail Hystrodon
4x Mogg Fanatic
3x Ryusei, the Falling Star
4x Shivan Dragon
4x Solemn Simulacrum
4x Tarox Bladewing
3x Vulshok Sorcerer

16 Spells
----------
2x Chandra Nalaar
4x Darksteel Ingot
1x Dragon Roost
4x Fire Diamond
4x Lightning Bolt
1x Mox Ruby

17 Land
--------
17x Mountain

I took "Wolverine" which seemed extremely weak and redesigned it but didnt add any more lands. Instead I added in artifacts which when they come out accellerate the deck ALOT. I mean 4th turn whatever. :/ but I just played 3 games in a row where the Dragon deck got 2 lands and then stalled. My quest deck is at the point where I can get a 5-6 turn kill on a decent draw so this is clearly a bad thing.

GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby Huggybaby » 11 Mar 2009, 15:38

Chris H. wrote:We have a group of people taking on the responsibility for different aspects of this game. It would be great if we could better co-ordinate our efforts and only release a finished product when all of the construction is completed.

Currently our releases are like pieces of a puzzle. People here at CCGH have to acquire the separate pieces and then assemble them. I think that is the price that we have to pay to stay current and be a part of the production and testing team.
The manalinkers are facing the same problem, but they are addressing it by using our wiki, and by trying to follow some release rules. You guys could easily do the same since you are well familiar with each other and are used to working as a team.

You could also use a moderator on this forum who is part of the project. If you think it would help let me know. I think rares is busy with his blogging and coding and whatnot. :)

Now, about this quest mode thing. I have to close the program with F4 and there should be a menu item somewhere to close. I also need a preconstructed deck to play with, I'm lazy and in a hurry and don't relish building my own.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby DennisBergkamp » 11 Mar 2009, 15:55

By the way exactly how does the mana weaving work for the computer because the decks preinstalled work just fine mana wise but the Red deck I just redesigned gets 1-2 lands and thats it.
I'm not sure if it is enabled in quest mode by default... (I think the "Stack AI Lands" checkbox currently does not work either on the New Quest GUI) let me look into this.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 11 Mar 2009, 17:15

Huggybaby wrote:The manalinkers are facing the same problem, but they are addressing it by using our wiki, and by trying to follow some release rules. You guys could easily do the same since you are well familiar with each other and are used to working as a team.

You could also use a moderator on this forum who is part of the project. If you think it would help let me know. I think rares is busy with his blogging and coding and whatnot. :)
I have read some of their messages. I think that Bog Wraith is doing a great job as the moderator. :D

I think that it takes a special sort of person with the correct set of skills to be an effective moderator. I tend to be very un-coordinated in my efforts to help this project along. I jump from one non-coding dull and dreary job to the next. :D

Huggybaby wrote:Now, about this quest mode thing. I have to close the program with F4 and there should be a menu item somewhere to close. I also need a preconstructed deck to play with, I'm lazy and in a hurry and don't relish building my own.
On my Macintosh, the windows have a close button in the corner that I can click on. Every click will take me backwards to the previous window that was displayed. Eventually, you will end up at the first window, the New Game window.

The quest mode is all about winning booster packs in order to have an increasing number of cards in your collection that you can then use to construct and modify your own deck.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby DennisBergkamp » 11 Mar 2009, 18:32

The way we've been doing releases so far:

1. I release my changes / additions possibly along with additional code people write and post (Rob, JPB, Orpheu, Verot, ...).
2. Chris then releases updated versions of card-pictures.txt and the rarities.

We could possibly do this differently: I'll let Chris know of what cards I've added right before releasing stuff, he can then send me the updated data files, and I could release the whole thing (with up-to-date card-pictures and rarities).

Other than that, I don't think there's any strict "release rules" to follow yet, until we'll have more programmers making modifications. In that case, more planning would be required.
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 11 Mar 2009, 20:59

DennisBergkamp wrote:The way we've been doing releases so far:

1. I release my changes / additions possibly along with additional code people write and post (Rob, JPB, Orpheu, Verot, ...).
2. Chris then releases updated versions of card-pictures.txt and the rarities.

We could possibly do this differently: I'll let Chris know of what cards I've added right before releasing stuff, he can then send me the updated data files, and I could release the whole thing (with up-to-date card-pictures and rarities).

Other than that, I don't think there's any strict "release rules" to follow yet, until we'll have more programmers making modifications. In that case, more planning would be required.
On occasion, new keywords are created and this can require additional work adding even more cards via the new keywords. This last release is a good example. Normally, it takes me less than a week to release the updated data files.

Dennis' idea is a good one. We could try it a few times and see how it works out. Worst case scenario, people might have to wait a wee bit longer for the next release. But it would be less of a puzzle for everyone.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby DennisBergkamp » 11 Mar 2009, 21:29

True. I could even let you know way well beforehand, so you get an earlier start.
In fact, I'll PM you some of the new cards right now :)
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

PreviousNext

Return to Forge