Deck editor not working

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

Deck editor not working

Postby DivineSingularity » 17 Feb 2013, 22:03

All I get is a blank background screen.
DivineSingularity

Re: Deck editor not working

Postby myk » 17 Feb 2013, 22:32

Hey DivineSingularity, check out http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=9621 for how and where to post bug reports for the version of forge that you are using. Thanks!
myk

Postby lm01 » 22 Apr 2013, 14:59

This just happened to me.
Forge Version: 1.3.11-r20622
EDIT: I'll try to check the new version

I don't know if DivineSingularity is using the same version as I am, but when I click Deck Editor it doesn't open the Editor anymore. It doesn't show any crash message it simply won't load the editor and you are left with a clean background with your theme.

This started yesterday, I didn't edit any file.
As possible clues, the last things I remember doing:
- played a deck with Burning Wish, which got an error when I won, but kept playing.
- after wining I go back to the constructed menu screen (where you pick decks to duel), I try to double click a semi-constructed deck (that was constructed by you guys) to check the cards, but it didn't show anything.
- I click Deck Editor to make a deck... and blank screen with background (never happened before)

Sorry but it's hard to be more specific.
lm01

Postby Chris H. » 22 Apr 2013, 15:51

The devs have answered this question on a number of occasions. The answer is included in the CHANGES.txt file and in the announcement message that appears in every beta release. :)

We understand that people get busy and it is hard for them to read the documentation but we devs would appreciate it if everyone would at least try to read the docs at some point. :wink:

CHANGES.txt file wrote:On several occasions people have noticed that the Forge deck editor and/or quest mode card shop would not open or display. We have also received reports that some of the tabs/panels in the deck editor are missing. There has also been reports that Forge will crash while creating/populating display components during start up or crash when a match is started.

One or both of your layout xml files may be corrupted in some fashion. Try deleting the file(s) named "editor.xml" and/or "match.xml" that are now located in your userDir/preferences/ directory. This should force Forge to then use the default layout xml files instead.
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby lm01 » 22 Apr 2013, 18:52

It's a known issue... ok.
I went to the bugreport site (http://cardforge.org/bugz/my_view_page.php) and didn't notice any unsolved ticket about it.

If this is a common issue shouldn't you guys minimize it, forcing Forge to use the default if it fails to load?
Seeing as the corrupt file isn't located on the main directory, non savy people (and busy to read changes.txt :P ) would be unable to edit decks further.
Also, there isn't a sticky on forum with these fixes, sort of a FAQ, which could answer or link to the post with the answer.
lm01

Postby Chris H. » 22 Apr 2013, 21:23

The bugz site tends to be too complicated and too time consuming for a number of people. We decided to change the forge bug reporter code to send people to the forge forum instead.

This particular issue does tend to come up fairly often and that is why I have added it as a known issue.

It might be possible for the code to do some error checking and to use the default values if a person's xml file is corrupt. I do not have the skill to do this myself and I do not want to impose on anyone else. :)

We do not have a forum based FAQ but we do have the forge wiki and the docs included in the forge archive.

Then again, they do say "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink". :lol:
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby lm01 » 23 Apr 2013, 18:21

:lol: Yeah I know.
I just decided to put that so someone with time might contribute in that way. :)
lm01

Return to Forge