It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:55

Text Size

MTG Forge 03-16 - Quest Update

Moderators: timmermac, Blacksmith, KrazyTheFox, Agetian, friarsol, CCGHQ Admins

MTG Forge 03-16 - Quest Update

Postby mtgrares » 17 Mar 2009, 18:01

Hopefully this isn't confusing but I know it is. This is an update of 03/10, so it doesn't have any of the features or fixes of 03/13.

--The Deck Editor is FIXED and sorts instantly (4 hours and a 2 line fix, arg #-o )
--You can play with (or against) random Constructed and Sealed decks
--Quest Deck Editor Rename now works
--I have added a few random quest decks, mostly easy ones with a generic theme.
--By default you cannot edit the AI's deck for Quest Mode. In order to edit them you have to create a file named "edit" and when you open the Deck Editor the "AI Deck" menu will be there. (I hope that makes sense.)

Download 03-16 Version

DennisBergkamp, I changed these files and I broke various other things but I tried not to. Somehow I removed the "Smooth AI land" button from the New Game screen. Also the "Smooth AI land" button on the Quest screen doesn't work. Hopefully my updates don't cause you too much trouble.

Classes that I changed:
TableModel
TableSorter
Gui_Quest_DeckEditor
Gui_Quest_DeckEditor_Menu
Gui_NewGame
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Quest Theme Decks

Postby mtgrares » 17 Mar 2009, 18:14

I usually just play quest on easy since 10 games is long enough for me. (I had delusions that I would enjoy 50+ games.) I really enjoy playing against "theme" decks like Battle of Wits and the wacky Elvish Piper. Theme decks aren't really powerful but they they are fun to play against.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Re: MTG Forge 03-16 - Quest Update

Postby DennisBergkamp » 17 Mar 2009, 18:25

DennisBergkamp, I changed these files and I broke various other things but I tried not to. Somehow I removed the "Smooth AI land" button from the New Game screen. Also the "Smooth AI land" button on the Quest screen doesn't work. Hopefully my updates don't cause you too much trouble.
I have made some changes in the quest mode already, but these are very minor changes. I think I'll be fine just using a text comparison tool, and pick out your changes that way, so no problems, thanks for this update :)
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Updates

Postby mtgrares » 17 Mar 2009, 18:47

Thats good to hear. I'm going to try to work on version 2.0, I love the smell of new code in the morning.
mtgrares
DEVELOPER

Postby GandoTheBard » 17 Mar 2009, 19:48

Ok so what we need now is Dennis' conversion of this work. :D
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby DennisBergkamp » 17 Mar 2009, 22:35

--The Deck Editor is FIXED and sorts instantly (4 hours and a 2 line fix, arg #-o )
Awesome job on this... it really does sort instantly =D>
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Postby Chris H. » 17 Mar 2009, 23:25

mtgrares wrote:--You can play with (or against) random Constructed and Sealed decks
I just noticed this new feature. With all of the new AI tuned decks, it would be awesome to have a similar choice of:

Random AI-{Deck Name}

This would limit the computer to just those decks that we have created for the AI. The computer would stay away from my nasty necro decks.

Thank you. A nice addition. :D
Chris H.
Forge Moderator

Postby GandoTheBard » 18 Mar 2009, 21:33

By the way Ive started the onerous task of rating the cards by rarity in a spreadsheet which I will post on my site as a webpage when done. Along with comments. Each card is given a rating number between 1 and 10 and except for most 5s a reason why. Or at least a derrogatory "meh" to signal I don't want to expound on the reasons why the card deserves its rating.

I am doing rares at the moment and am about 1/3rd of the way through. I took the list from the original rarities file for 3/13 so I'm not positive I have ALL the cards in MTG Forge but we can add strays after the fact.

My goal here is to make it easier for a programmer to separate out the different cards into sets for the quest mode packs. With the lowest rated cards going in the basic set and then higher rated cards being placed in harder to obtain sets.
visit my personal homepage here: http://outofthebrokensky.com

Listen to my podcast with famed AJ_Impy "Freed from the Real" on http://puremtgo.com
GandoTheBard
Tester

Postby DennisBergkamp » 19 Mar 2009, 19:07

By the way Ive started the onerous task of rating the cards by rarity in a spreadsheet which I will post on my site as a webpage when done. Along with comments. Each card is given a rating number between 1 and 10 and except for most 5s a reason why. Or at least a derrogatory "meh" to signal I don't want to expound on the reasons why the card deserves its rating.

I am doing rares at the moment and am about 1/3rd of the way through. I took the list from the original rarities file for 3/13 so I'm not positive I have ALL the cards in MTG Forge but we can add strays after the fact.

My goal here is to make it easier for a programmer to separate out the different cards into sets for the quest mode packs. With the lowest rated cards going in the basic set and then higher rated cards being placed in harder to obtain sets.
Very nice :) This sounds like quite the task indeed!
Are you also planning on releasing an updated version of your play-balanced rare.txt, uncommon.txt and common.txt files? It would be cool to draft with some of the newer cards.

By the way, I successfully (or so it seems anyway :) ) merged rares updates on the quest mode with my 03/13 version and also added a few new cards+ the usual fixes. I wanted to release this yesterday, but real life stuff came up.... now, I could probably release something tonight if it weren't for the fact that I started another major rewrite (which should take care of some of the performance issues associated with state based effects).

Anyway, hopefully I'll have something working by this weekend (may be sooner, may be later). I just hope I'm on the right track with the rewrite, and that I can get it to work (and I sure as heck hope it'll actually make a difference performance-wise).
DennisBergkamp
AI Programmer

Return to Forge