It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 19:00

Text Size

Mana burn

General Discussion of the Intricacies

Moderator: CCGHQ Admins

Mana burn

Postby staggerwingjtstw » 06 Jun 2009, 03:17

I don't know if anyone else has been keeping up on the proposed changes coming with M10, and while I might post this elsewhere, I figured they'd be of biggest help to you guys.

Currently, the rumors, which are mostly confirmed, are
"In play" being changed to "battlefield". Thus Doubtless One will read "Doubtless One's power and toughness are each equal to the number of clerics on the battlefield." This has pretty much been by a confirmed by Queen of Ants, the release card.
Next is "play" being changed to "cast". We all saw this on Silence.
and finally, the least confirmed is that there is no longer mana burn. Mana will still empty at the end of phases and turns, but it won't cause damage. So go ahead and pay that red mana into Rugged Prairie to use the white for Silence, no mana burn!
I like being bad... it makes me happy...
staggerwingjtstw

Re: Mana burn

Postby Huggybaby » 06 Jun 2009, 04:20

No mana burn?? That seems weird. Never been a problem IRL I guess, the only time I get it is when playing MTG Forge or Manalink because I don't know which buttons to push and I can't undo a turn. Still, that seems drastic. Hmm, I'm looking forward to analysis from our experts.
Huggybaby
Administrator

Postby MageKing17 » 06 Jun 2009, 05:52

I have heard rumors about the manaburn thing, but never confirmation. It seems depressingly likely, however. So much for using Spectral Searchlight to cause lifeloss.
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby frwololo » 08 Jun 2009, 02:03

Yeah, removing manaburn will prevent some fun :(
Edit: and changing the name of zones is not gonna be fun either... I can picture new players complaining about our pieces of software using outdated texts, or, the other way around, old school players not understanding anymore.
Not mentioning that it will confuse people using cards from previous exapansions...
frwololo
DEVELOPER

Postby staggerwingjtstw » 08 Jun 2009, 13:26

The current theories at both Gleemax and MTGSalvation forums is that cards that used mana burn will be errata-ed. So for Braid of Fire, the ability might look something like this :

Cumulative upkeep-Add R to your mana pool. If this mana isn't used by the end of the phase, lose 1 life for each mana still in your mana pool.

But again, this is all conjecture until Wizards actually says something.
I like being bad... it makes me happy...
staggerwingjtstw

Postby frwololo » 09 Jun 2009, 00:59

staggerwingjtstw wrote: cards that used mana burn will be errata-ed.
Yeah... however it doesn't mean they get reprinted.
I couldn't tell how many complaints I got from people telling me that their two Revised "Zombie Masters" have swampwalk while they shouldn't... (No, it's not a bug, read the oracle, not the card...)
frwololo
DEVELOPER

Postby MageKing17 » 09 Jun 2009, 07:43

frwololo wrote:
staggerwingjtstw wrote: cards that used mana burn will be errata-ed.
Yeah... however it doesn't mean they get reprinted.
I couldn't tell how many complaints I got from people telling me that their two Revised "Zombie Masters" have swampwalk while they shouldn't... (No, it's not a bug, read the oracle, not the card...)
Well, if they go by the printed card, then it's not a Zombie and doesn't get affected anyway. :P
MageKing17
Programmer

Postby frwololo » 10 Jun 2009, 01:21

MageKing17 wrote:Well, if they go by the printed card, then it's not a Zombie and doesn't get affected anyway. :P
Well, that's exactly the problem. Because what's written on the card is not exactly what happens in Wagic (and I guess in Incantus as well), I get bug reports.
Namely, if you have two Zombie masters, they both get swampwalk. Which the printed card doesn't say.
frwololo
DEVELOPER

Postby MageKing17 » 10 Jun 2009, 06:21

frwololo wrote:
MageKing17 wrote:Well, if they go by the printed card, then it's not a Zombie and doesn't get affected anyway. :P
Well, that's exactly the problem. Because what's written on the card is not exactly what happens in Wagic (and I guess in Incantus as well), I get bug reports.
Namely, if you have two Zombie masters, they both get swampwalk. Which the printed card doesn't say.
Well, we have the oracle wording of the abilities displayed in a text box to the right of the card image. No matter how out of date the card originally was, you can see the up-to-date wording in the text box.
MageKing17
Programmer

Return to Magic Rules Engine Programming